Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need a recommendation for plastic strips to make the chrome trim around the back end of a GM A body vinyl top.

mcm7.jpg.41ca46c4208e91542a898e70d508949a.jpg

I'm betting the kit drip moldings will be OK to leave as-is. The pieces at the base of the C-pillar look flatter, which is what I'm trying to replicate, but I want to make sure I get the closest size possible.  I'd appreciate specific mfr P/Ns for any recommendation.

Also, what's the best way to make those pieces join together at the trunk-end of the C-pillar?

Edited by Monty

I've had good luck with Evergreen brand H-O scale 2x4s: #8204 - .022" X .043" / .6mm X 1.1mm

The little bit of extra thickness gives you something to shape if you don't need flat, sharp edges.

11 hours ago, Monty said:

I'm betting the kit drip moldings will be OK to leave as-is. The pieces at the base of the C-pillar look flatter, which is what I'm trying to replicate, but I want to make sure I get the closest size possible.  I'd appreciate specific mfr P/Ns for any recommendation.

Also, what's the best way to make those pieces join together at the trunk-end of the C-pillar?

I think I used .010”x.030” flat strip for the seams on the roof, and .030” half round for the chrome trim. You can sand the half round slightly to make a half oval shape? I cut the first piece I installed just a hair long and glued it in place. Then made the second piece overlap it. Then with a very sharp (new) blade, I trimmed both strips with one cut. 

3489DFE2-85A5-4B40-B7F7-F104279D1F0E.jpeg

EAD2D983-AFFA-4FC4-BF67-68721D7AE8FF.jpeg

32916EA8-B95F-4EB3-927F-D9AF9AB1D41D.jpeg

6B1A88A0-020D-4111-9508-E6A6E7F2B606.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG