Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 65 Corvette, no wipers

I got the monogram 65 Corvette and im nearly done with the build. I just noticed there are no wipers, not on the tree or instructions and not on the body(not molded in)  there are holes for it though.

Meh, now i need to find some. Anyone know of a kit that has external wipers that would look close?

The Revell '67 Vette roadster has them (probably the coupe, too), though of course they'll be 1/25 but I doubt it would be noticeable. I have a copy of the kit I got cheap and have been parting out. Glad to send them to you. Email me your address to: 

snakeacp45 at AOL dot com 

Model on! B)

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

The Revell '67 Vette roadster has them (probably the coupe, too), though of course they'll be 1/25 but I doubt it would be noticeable. I have a copy of the kit I got cheap and have been parting out. Glad to send them to you. Email me your address to: 

snakeacp45 at AOL dot com 

Model on! B)

Email sent. Thank you for the post 

I believe the Penske 66 corvette is basically the same kit, I just got one of these eBay, and now that you mention it I notice it doesn’t have wipers either but does have the holes for them, i think I’m going to rob some from an old revell 58 corvette I have, I didn’t use them on the car itself and their also pre bent to fit the windshield, I also have seen some photo etched wipers from model car garage, though I have never used them myself, I think the arms are separate from the blades and you can trim them to fit properly 

5 hours ago, Sport Suburban said:

My Monogram 65 Corvette has them on the chrome tree. Are we talking about a different kit or later version?

these are the ones that i have that dont have them. Also, they both have the dark tinted window, so i suspect these are the same kit.  

I did notice, the hood on your kit is different, and the mirrors

1080751-31911-45-1440.jpg

59862d5f2747fa28f619eb82ae4ad7a4.jpg

Edited by youpey

5 hours ago, Sport Suburban said:

My Monogram 65 Corvette has them on the chrome tree. Are we talking about a different kit or later version?

65 Corvette.JPG

They did substantial revisions on that kit to bring it up to stock specifications, which it had never really been before. IMHO that issue is the best of all the Monogram '65/66 releases. 

10 hours ago, youpey said:

these are the ones that i have that dont have them.

Different kits. Your Revell kits are from the days before Revell purchased Monogram. The Revells are 1/25, the old Monogram is 1/24, and Snake45 is right on about it being one of Monogram's best. I believe it has the nicest 1/24 big block Chevy engine ever. The tinted window issue is just coincidence.

Edited by bisc63

43 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

Just noticed your original post stated a Monogram kit with no wipers, but later you show Revell kits with no wipers. I hope my post didn't add to confusion,  was meant to clarify!

It looks like the revell 3 pack is the same exact one as the revell 

39 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

OK, but neither of those is Monogram...

i dont understand, the black one says monogram on the box. when i look at the scalemates it says it was a 1985 new tool under monogram.  the revell supervettes set is a 1989 release, i assumed the 1989 revell was a rebox of the monogram after they merged

are you saying its a revell mold originally and reboxed as monogram?

this is the scalemates for the black one from 1985

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-2925-1965-corvette-coupe--176897

and the red one from 1989 with the revell package.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-7484-supervettes--1080751

Edited by youpey

No, not at all. My confusion here is in the contradiction of your first posts: first says you are building the monogram kit, second says you are building Revell kit from the 3-kit box. My take-away was that you thought they were one and the same kit.

1 hour ago, bisc63 said:

Different kits. Your Revell kits are from the days before Revell purchased Monogram. The Revells are 1/25, the old Monogram is 1/24, and Snake45 is right on about it being one of Monogram's best. I believe it has the nicest 1/24 big block Chevy engine ever. The tinted window issue is just coincidence.

Revell never did their own C2 Corvette until the '67s, and then later the '63 Snappers. The '65 in the Revell box set is indeed the Monogram, from the early days of their merger. The Monogram originally appeared as a modifed car, not stock. To clarify, I didn't mean this whole kit is one of Monogram's best, I meant that the issue with the red 396 on the box was the best issue of the Mono '65 Vette as they finally added all the correct stock parts. 

3 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

No, not at all. My confusion here is in the contradiction of your first posts: first says you are building the monogram kit, second says you are building Revell kit from the 3-kit box. My take-away was that you thought they were one and the same kit.

They are. Revell has never done a '65 Vette. 

11 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

They are the same base kit. The red one is from the revell 3 pack and the black is the monogram black box. It looks like the red has very slight differences, maybe because it is a later release, but the car body and general parts are the same. The red sprue even says black on it. Its hard to tell from the angle but the sizes of the body are exact

16203474698706796439078995203174.jpg

16203476219927697963930087785946.jpg

Edited by youpey

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

They are. Revell has never done a '65 Vette. 

Oh wow, I blew that! I would never thought they (R/M) would have packaged a threesome with one kit in the odd scale to the other two. Goes to show what they say about assuming... Sorry Youpey, seems all the confusion was in my head (a terrible place to store things). Thanks, Snake for the clarification, as well. A friend of mine used to say, "You know, a guy could write a pretty good size book about all the stuff I don't know anything about..."  Sometimes, I know just how he felt!

41 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

The original Monogram tooling of the Vette was for a model of a car from a TV show. The TV did not have wipers so neither did the kit. The TV show was gone quick but not the kit! 

its the stingray tv show. i actually started watching it recently on imdbtv. if you can get past the terrible 80's light jazz music they seem to love playing, its actually a really good show. for sure it has its stereotypes and 80's sillyness, but it doesnt take away from the story.

the guy is basically a solver, like he helps people with problems that people need help from people that seek him out. sometimes the problem is unbelievable, other times its great. he does it for the promise of a future favor. no payments in cash.  in one episode ray helped the district attorney with a case, a few episodes later, he called in his favor to get him somewhere he couldnt get without her.  again, get past the terrible theme music and random music that seems to go on for minutes, and you will find a really good show. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07PHNSFQ6/ref=atv_3p_fre_c_VP02MC_2_1

Edited by youpey

I finished one of the Street Machine issues last year and got mementarily confused by the lack of wipers, now I know why they're missing. Never got around to finding any for it.

1:24 Monogram 1965 Corvette kit

No complaints from me about how it went together. Can't comment about the engine as I put an LT5 in mine. The only issue I had was through my own ineptitude, when I polished through the paint in several places and had to  give it several more coats - as I now appreciate, a C2 Corvette has quite a complex bodyshape with lots of high points.....

4 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I finished one of the Street Machine issues last year and got mementarily confused by the lack of wipers, now I know why they're missing. Never got around to finding any for it.

No complaints from me about how it went together. Can't comment about the engine as I put an LT5 in mine. The only issue I had was through my own ineptitude, when I polished through the paint in several places and had to  give it several more coats - as I now appreciate, a C2 Corvette has quite a complex bodyshape with lots of high points.....

wow, this looks stunning. i finished with everything, except the primer and paint on the body. and the interior carpet, it was suppsed to arrive yesterday but amazon pushed it to sunday now. 

Here's the one I built about 10 years ago. I removed the roof vents and '65 emblems to make into a faux '66, or '66-"ish." B)

66VetteMono01.jpg.3f539288bf1c973cb6f7cb9b3a0fe697.jpg

Last year I picked up a cheap glue bomb at the local toy show and laid a couple hours of Snake-Fu on it. Before and After: 

65CorvetteMonoGB03.jpg.d605a1043a22f003abed9f63dd3e1627.jpg

65CorvetteMonoGB11.jpg.3b144642a8d85ab26a93f4a7d2315381.jpg

I had built the Black Rat version long ago when it was new. The stock 65 I posted is the same kit just updated in 1995. Didn't notice the missing wipers but I was very young back then. Also my stock 65 396 version still had the custom mirrors and fog lights in the kit still. I forgot about the Black Rat having tinted windows! I remember it being molded in black and I didn't paint anything. Just glued it together and put on the decals! It was a fun quick build!