Model Cars Magazine Forum

Blasphemi

This is my long term attempt to build my version of Mike Finnagan's Blasphemi.  A '55 Chevy gasser that runs a 8.52 @ 161 MPH in the quarter mile.  That's fast!  Normally, I build everything else that is stock or mostly stock and this one is a Chevy with a Mopar 528 CI Hemi in it, so it might qualify as a build by me.  I am still searching my parts box for parts and I need to find a satin black for the body which also has a flip front end.  My thanks to Doug Estabrook for the kit!

More Blasphemi to come...

Blasphemi01.JPG

Blasphemi02.JPG

Blasphemi03.JPG

Looking forward to this build. Blasphemi is a pretty straightforward drag car, and shouldn't be too difficult to recreate. The only challenge might be printing off the decals.  Which version are you doing? Current with the gold roof and blower, or original, all black with stack injection? 

Either way it'll be cool. 

Thanks Dan and Bob!  I plan on building the current version with the gold roof, grille, steering wheel and the blower.  A Hemi in a '55 Chevy is not something you see often and I get the joke in the name of the car. 

blog_blasph3.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrmike said:

Thanks Dan and Bob!  I plan on building the current version with the gold roof, grille, steering wheel and the blower.  A Hemi in a '55 Chevy is not something you see often and I get the joke in the name of the car. 

blog_blasph3.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

Try 1634 Duplicolor Low Gloss Black. It's got a good satin finish to it. I use it lot. Use a primer for sure, it's a little on the hot side, but I've never hurt anything with it. I just did a 55 gasser with charged 327 and it turned out good with that black and gold decals. Called it the Rattler. Bad pic, but you get the point. lol

Picture0124212243_1.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dan Hay said:

Looking forward to this build. Blasphemi is a pretty straightforward drag car, and shouldn't be too difficult to recreate. The only challenge might be printing off the decals.  Which version are you doing? Current with the gold roof and blower, or original, all black with stack injection? 

Either way it'll be cool. 

Slixx

https://www.slixx.com/8058.htm?id=5503

8058L.jpg

• Like 1

Mike one piece of advise on the deals.  They really do not like flat paint finishes.  You tend to get "silvering" under the clear parts which can really mess up the look.  That silvering is the microscopic air bubbles trapped under the decal film.

Military modelers deal with it this way.  They put down a gloss finish, decal the model and then overspray with clear in the gloss they want.  That way, if they lay down one finish and don't like it, they can just put a coat of something else over the top. 

Nice! It's been on my bucket to-do list for a while too. I'm doing the Hilborn injected version with the flat black roof, using a combination of the Monogram 55 hardtop and the Revell 56 sedan.  Decals (and life) have been my road block too.

Thanks guys!

7 hours ago, Steamboat said:

Any plans for how you will make the headers?

No plans just yet for the headers.  Propbably make them with solder or styrene or both.

• 6 months later...

I have made a change.  I happen to have found a 1/24 scale '55 Chevy Gasser also known as the Monogram '55 Chevy Street Machine.  This should help me a lot better than the AMT '55 Chevy Bel Air Street Machine kit that I received earlier in 2021.  I have my Hemi engine with it many hop-ups, but this will not be an exact copy of Blasphemi.  It may be close, but not exact.

Blas01.JPG

Blas02.JPG

Blas03.JPG

16 hours ago, mrmike said:

Thanks DW and Bill!

I don't have the Stone, Woods and Cook Willys.  But, I have tires for Blasphemi and the wheels might do if I narrow the fronts. 

Welcome, anytime. I might have a set of front wheels and tires left over from the SWC Willy's if you want them. I know I don't have the rears. 

I'm sure you'll look at the photos and say to yourself, "What has he done?"  I removed the side moldings from the body.  At first I used a coarse sanding stick followed by my Dremel.  The Dremel removed most of the molding and a fine sanding stick is helping to smooth it all out.  I still have a ways to go!

Blasphemi04.JPG

Blasphemi05.JPG

Blasphemi06.JPG

• 2 months later...

In case you may have been wondering, I have not abandoned my Blasphemi project.  With the passing of a member of the Classic Plastic Model Club, I have a need to work on Blasphemi and finish it for our Expo in October.  Our late member had a love for '55 Chevys and the goal is for me to finish mine for our Show. 

I assembled the wheels and tires which came from my parts box.  The Hemi engine is partially assembled and awaiting to be painted.  I hand painted some of the chrome parts including the grille which I know to be incorrect.  I have to get some PE material for the grille.

Blasphemi07.JPG

Blasphemi08.JPG

Blasphemi09.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...