Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi 1970 Nissan Skyline GT-R

Spottedlaurel

Finished this one today, a fairly simple but nicely detailed and well-proportioned curbside kit that I bought for £11.99 back in 1992/93.

1:24 Fujimi Nissan Skyline GT-R kit

WIP thread here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/161532-1970-nissan-skyline-gt-r-by-fujimi/

Built pretty much OOB but with some shaving of badges and rear wing deleted, side windows sawn out, lowered about scale 75m/3", Star Formula wheels and Pirelli tyres accessory set by Fujimi, larger exhaust tailpipe from another Fujimi accesory pack (all the better to hear that 24-valve, triple-carb straight-six howl!), front brake discs and finned rear drums which were leftover from a Fujimi Nissan Fairlady Roadster, painted Tamiya TS-94 Metallic Grey and Halfords automotive clearcoat.

Managed to find a break in the showers today to get some outside shots:

Nothing too excting inside, I beieve they were a mix of black vinyl, plastic and nylon with a smattering of 'wood' trim.

Goes nicely with my recently-completed Celica.

I was going to build it with arch flares and much wider wheels with stretched tyres, but I'm glad I kept it fairly restrained. The detailing isn't quite as crisp as a Hasegawa or Tamiya kit, but it's a lot better than some of Fujimi's offerings from the early-mid '80s. I had no real issues with fitment once I'd trimmed the front of the floorpan to slot in and out of the bodyshell without excessive force or bending.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

2 hours ago, rob1957 said:

Can you tell us what brand of paint you used here ? And what procedure you followed to achieve your results ? Thanks .

Halfords grey primer, Halfords matt black as base, Tamiya TS-94, Halfords clearcoat. All from cans, I don't have an airbrush. The Halfords paint is intended for automotive repairs and I believe it's an acrylic, it seems to be compatible with the Tamiya. All sprayed as multiple thin coats.

I wet-sanded after the primer and matt black coats, but I left the TS-94 as it came out of the can. The clearcoat was polished with Micromesh sheets from 3600 down to 12000 grade, and then I gave it a resin polish.

I never get a super-smooth finish out of the can, but I've learnt what can be polished out to give an acceptable finish.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!

On 5/19/2021 at 4:24 AM, Italianhorses said:

Turned out absolutely fantastic! Great pictures too!

Thank you Alex, got to admit I had fun staging them in the rain left on my the roof after a showery day.

On 5/19/2021 at 4:41 PM, e30lover said:

Love the thick rubber! 

I was thinking of fitting wide wheels and stretchwall tyres, I have a few sets I need to start using, but I'm glad I stuck with what I did.

On 5/19/2021 at 9:36 PM, Daddyfink said:

Nice build! I'll drink to that!

Nice one, cheers!

• 3 weeks later...