Model Cars Magazine Forum

Remember Saturday morning cartoons?

12 hours ago, Rodent said:

While in the rabbit hole that is this thread, I discovered that they were modified Amphicats and Aurora sold them in 1/25. I never built a Monkeemobile or a Beverly Hillbillies truck either.

image.png.41b3276f71230e35e05c6e34302f108e.png

It may be a "rabbit hole", but it sure is fun remembering all these great childhood shows. 

BTW, this is the first time I've ever heard/seen a "Banana Buggy" kit. It would be cool to convert it into a regular Amphicat.

Amazingly, Aurora did it in the right scale!

On 5/7/2021 at 10:00 AM, Rodent said:

While in the rabbit hole that is this thread, I discovered that they were modified Amphicats and Aurora sold them in 1/25. I never built a Monkeemobile or a Beverly Hillbillies truck either.

image.png.41b3276f71230e35e05c6e34302f108e.png

Never seen this kit before, Steve thanks for the picture..

On 5/7/2021 at 2:34 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner were my favorites.

Mine also along with Speed Racer .

On 5/7/2021 at 2:53 PM, MrObsessive said:

OK.............I'll admit it. I have ALL 52 episodes of Speed Racer on my hard disc! That was my FAVORITE cartoon as a kid and when it first aired here in Central PA back in the fall of '68, ALL the kids were talking about it! Even the girls. :D

I do also Bill and but mine are on dvd.

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

Mine was the Flintstones because it was very much like my favorite show The Honeymooners.

Flintstones pretty much was prehistoric Honeymooners. I didn't realize that until years later, as I was too young for Honeymooners in first run and didn't learn about them until late-night reruns many years later. 

And Jetsons, of course, was pretty much space-age FlintstonesB)

Yes, the Flintstones was based on the Honeymooners, totally. Loud mouth Fred was Ralph Kramden and Barney was Ed Norton. Hanna-Barbera Productions even admitted that when threatened with a lawsuit. Jackie Gleason wasn't happy about The Flintstones and considered suing. Gleason's publicist apparently asked him if he wanted to be known as the man who killed Fred Flintstone. He decided he didn't want to be and didn't sue.

On 5/7/2021 at 2:53 PM, MrObsessive said:

Interesting enough, I remember reading an interview years ago done by Car and Driver as they were talking to Corinne Orr who was the voice of Trixie (and all the female voices) and she said that one of the reasons you hear so many "oohs" and "aahs" in the cartoon, was because that was something that couldn't be translated from Japanese into English. So, to fill that "space" they just let out an exclamation.

Or, in one case...default_ohmy2.png.dd87ef8f3aed57f675bf579d18835474.png

trixie_4769037_GIFSoup_com.gif.fbbb13b9359d008a88ac4b7a8c763809.gif

27 minutes ago, slusher said:

Does anyone remember the Bozo the Clown cartoons that came on during Bozos Circus that came on at noon on WGN in Chicago.?

Yes. In the DC area, Bozo was played by...wait for it...Willard Scott! :blink:

6a010536b86d36970c02788020ee06200d-800wi

Edited by Snake45

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Yes. In the DC area, Bozo was played by...wait for it...Willard Scott! :blink:

6a010536b86d36970c02788020ee06200d-800wi

Wow! I never knew that! I lived in the DC area (went to high school there) and I never put the two together!

They say "you learn something new everyday".......ain't that the truth?? ☺️

56 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Wow! I never knew that! I lived in the DC area (went to high school there) and I never put the two together!

They say "you learn something new everyday".......ain't that the truth?? ☺️

Might have been before your time. I think you're a couple years younger than me. This would have been in the late '50s or VERY early '60s. Then WS went on to portray Ronald McDonald (I don't know if this was nationally or just locally). I don't know when he was the WRC weatherman, if he was that this whole time, or what. Of course he later went on to do weather for Today show and he's known nationally for that. 

4 hours ago, slusher said:

Does anyone remember the Bozo the Clown cartoons that came on during Bozos Circus that came on at noon on WGN in Chicago.?

Quite well indeed! I saw the "Belinda bakes a cake" toon the other day for the first time in 40 or 50 years and I had the song down nearly word for word.

Many years ago I had the chance to meet Larry Harmon, the voice and creator of the modern Bozo, when a friend of mine went to make an offer on his Continental MkV:

P1040568.JPG.6786d7a2887d040cf990c21f4491cf77.JPG

P1040569.JPG.4b64128c3f3fe1ba6fac9680ce0e10e7.JPG

We spent an afternoon with him discussing the car and hearing him tell some great stories, like the time his car got stuck in snow while traveling through the Alps and the driver who came to his rescue turned out to have been General Erwin Rommel's chauffeur! A month or so after the visit we got a phone message from Larry saying that he was ready to sell the car - but he passed away two days later. 

As to Bozo in Chicago - the late, great Bob Bell was the Bozo I grew up with; and when he retired, Joey d'Auria was a worthy successor. Because of Bob, I never had a fear of clowns; he was just too funny a performer for that.

"Give me that pie!" tango_face_grin.png.570eaf8f450eae90cd43fba8bb2c3359.png

1652048872_bozopie.gif.7031391b9d2c7d66e15bf807548d056f.gif

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Might have been before your time. I think you're a couple years younger than me. This would have been in the late '50s or VERY early '60s. Then WS went on to portray Ronald McDonald (I don't know if this was nationally or just locally). I don't know when he was the WRC weatherman, if he was that this whole time, or what. Of course he later went on to do weather for Today show and he's known nationally for that. 

I wasn't in the DC area until the mid and later '70's during high school. I knew folks that talked about Bozo the Clown.......seen pics of him but never knew that was Willard.

Willard was the weatherman on WRC at the time I was there. I remember because we had a NASTY snowstorm come through that he totally missed (Winter of '77) and he took some heat for getting the forecast very wrong. ;)

I heard he was a very nice guy in person as well as on air.

50 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Willard was the weatherman on WRC at the time I was there. I remember because we had a NASTY snowstorm come through that he totally missed (Winter of '77) and he took some heat for getting the forecast very wrong. ;)

I remember that storm very well. Pretty much shut down PG county for two or three or four days. :wacko:

Loved Lancelot Link!

Watched a few Jetson's lately and it's funny to see what they depict for the future. Some things are real now and some things are still stuck in the 60's. Adds some extra viewing pleasure just looking at that.

16 hours ago, TonyK said:

Loved Lancelot Link!

Watched a few Jetson's lately and it's funny to see what they depict for the future. Some things are real now and some things are still stuck in the 60's. Adds some extra viewing pleasure just looking at that.

Astro made me laugh when he jump on the dad like Dino on the flintstones…