Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes C Class DTM 1994

Well, this was an interesting case. This is the Tamiya kit, pretty well detailed out of the box. I wondered about the dark green exterior and the blue interior and chassis - but reference photos seemed to indicate it was just that. The kit had some clear parts for the undercarriage. I would normally just paint them, but I decided to leave the clear for a change. The biggest challenge was the decals. The kit decals were yellowed, so I sourced out a sheet from Tailormade - and they were pretty good. Whiter than the yellowed kit decals. I also bought a sheet from "some guy on eBay". Between the 3 I felt like I had something to fall back on. Neat Mercedes hood ornament in the kit too. Anyway, a fun and unusual build. 

1 IMG_4965 (2).jpg

2 IMG_4966.jpg

3 MG_4959.jpg

IMG_4933.jpg

IMG_4936.jpg

IMG_4958.jpg

IMG_4962.jpg

IMG_4963.jpg

Edited by dougwintz

• 2 weeks later...

Nice build of an extremely nice kit! One small criticism, if I may, is that the front "Benz grille" should be blacked out.

I built this kit when those cars were still running in the DTM, around 1995. Still have the model and, apart from the labels being ages and yellowed, I still like it.

https://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&postID=789071#post789071

By the way, I saw that the both of us arranged the decals on the front hood differently. Mine has the Tabac decal above the Sonax one, yours has it the otherway round. Also the Tamiya box shows it the way you did it. So while I was thinking I did it wrong back then but never noticed it in all these years, I found images of BOTH versions on the internet. Turns out that the Roland Asch car has it the way you did it and the Bernd Schneider car (which I built) has it the way I built it. I guess this was purposely done by AMG Mercedes back then to do justice to both sponsors. Knowing Tamiya's sense of perfectionism, they probably stated this correcly for both options in the instructions aswell...

Edited by Tommy124

On 5/25/2021 at 8:11 AM, Tommy124 said:

Nice build of an extremely nice kit! One small criticism, if I may, is that the front "Benz grille" should be blacked out.

I built this kit when those cars were still running in the DTM, around 1995. Still have the model and, apart from the labels being ages and yellowed, I still like it.

https://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&postID=789071#post789071

By the way, I saw that the both of us arranged the decals on the front hood differently. Mine has the Tabac decal above the Sonax one, yours has it the otherway round. Also the Tamiya box shows it the way you did it. So while I was thinking I did it wrong back then but never noticed it in all these years, I found images of BOTH versions on the internet. Turns out that the Roland Asch car has it the way you did it and the Bernd Schneider car (which I built) has it the way I built it. I guess this was purposely done by AMG Mercedes back then to do justice to both sponsors. Knowing Tamiya's sense of perfectionism, they probably stated this correcly for both options in the instructions aswell...

Thanks for the comments. I applied a wash of Tamiya panel line accent to the grill, but I can see that solid black is more accurate. Your build looks great. I am always looking for something out of the ordinary like this kit. Very hard to find "walk around" photos of the real car, though. I also bought a couple of additional decal sheets because the kit decals were a little yellowed. So I bought from Tailormade (in Germany, by the way) and another from someone on ebay. Thanks again for the comments