Model Cars Magazine Forum

63 corvette coupe

youpey

can anyone tell me what is considered the best 1963 corvette coupe diecast (or resin/fiberglass etc) in 1/24 or 1/18 scale?

i definitely prefer a 1/24 but would definitely not pass up a good one if its 1/18. my only requirement really is that its not red. any other color

Gary (Gramps) can probably give you the definitive answer, but I'll take a shot. 

First, I don't know anything about 1/18 because that's out of my price and space range. 

In 1/24, if either Franklin Mint or Danbury Mint did the '63, those would be the best, but you'd have to search for them and be prepared to spend fairly large $$$. 

There are several "affordable" '63s in 1/24, and I have a few different ones. Of these, the best I've seen is the Welly, which is available in that "silver blue" color. My favorite DC vendor isn't showing them right now but google shows they're available from several vendors. You shouldn't have to pay more than $30 for one, and you might find it for much less.  

As Richard (Snake 45) said: the Welly version is available in red and silver/bluemetallic (here are a few pics of mine) - looks very good to me : doors and hood open (NO doglegs!), all it would need is a little paint detailing, but for a price of € 15,00 (ca. 17 $) you can hardly complain - here it is:IMG_7451.JPG.113d9f9b3a0ce9ee85e94570aef92a9f.JPGIMG_7448.JPG.ea2cda5f29ca3722bd9bb784d7999368.JPGIMG_7450.JPG.adde525bba3fd47a36047f13b154f641.JPGIMG_7452.JPG.6987d9c4a2d3e20435bd22fa3c5f80ff.JPG

Good questions Miles.  It does depend on what features and price you are willing to pay for.

Do you want:

Opening doors

Opening Hood with engine

Hubcaps or Aluminum Wheels

Color choice

Color Doors Engine Wheels Headlights  
Team Caliber Corvette C2 Split Window Coupe 1963 Red Yes Yes AL Yes  
Welly Corvette C2 Split Window Coupe 1963 Red Yes Pancake Stock No  
Welly Corvette C2 Split Window Coupe 1963 Lt Blue Yes Pancake Stock No  
Franklin Mint Corvette C2 Split Window Coupe 1963 Red Yes Yes Stock No  
Franklin Mint Corvette C2 Split Window Coupe 1963 Silver Yes Yes Stock Yes  
Hachette Collection Corvette C2 Split Window Coupe 1963 Red No No AL No  
Crown Premiums Corvette C2 Split Window Coupe 1963 Lt Blue Yes Yes Al Yes  
Danbury Mint  Corvette C2 Convertible 1963 Lt Blue Yes Yes Stock Yes  
Danbury Mint  Corvette C2 Split Window Coupe 1963 Black Yes Yes AL Yes  

I do not recommend the Hachette as its roof is molded separately.  Be aware there are two Franklin Mint coupes and they are different.  I recommend the silver one which is more detailed and is part of FMs limited edition "Fiberglass Series"  though it is not molded in fiberglass.

These are the 1/24 diecasts I have collected.  My over all choice for best value at lowest price and most features is the Crown Premiums.

20210508_102901.jpg.f23d1723ba6d0541d1eda148086581e0.jpg

8 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Good questions Miles.  It does depend on what features and price you are willing to pay for.

Do you want:

Opening doors

Opening Hood with engine

Hubcaps or Aluminum Wheels

Color choice

Color Doors Engine Wheels Headlights  
Team Caliber Corvette C2 Split Window Coupe 1963 Red Yes Yes AL Yes  
Welly Corvette C2 Split Window Coupe 1963 Red Yes Pancake Stock No  
Welly Corvette C2 Split Window Coupe 1963 Lt Blue Yes Pancake Stock No  
Franklin Mint Corvette C2 Split Window Coupe 1963 Red Yes Yes Stock No  
Franklin Mint Corvette C2 Split Window Coupe 1963 Silver Yes Yes Stock Yes  
Hachette Collection Corvette C2 Split Window Coupe 1963 Red No No AL No  
Crown Premiums Corvette C2 Split Window Coupe 1963 Lt Blue Yes Yes Al Yes  
Danbury Mint  Corvette C2 Convertible 1963 Lt Blue Yes Yes Stock Yes  
Danbury Mint  Corvette C2 Split Window Coupe 1963 Black Yes Yes AL Yes  

I do not recommend the Hachette as its roof is molded separately.  Be aware there are two Franklin Mint coupes and they are different.  I recommend the silver one which is more detailed and is part of FMs limited edition "Fiberglass Series"  though it is not molded in fiberglass.

These are the 1/24 diecasts I have collected.  My over all choice for best value at lowest price and most features is the Crown Premiums.

is the crown premium the darkest of the blue on the top row, next to the black?  Which (non-red) ones are the most accurate to the real car would you say? 

1 hour ago, youpey said:

is the crown premium the darkest of the blue on the top row, next to the black?  Which (non-red) ones are the most accurate to the real car would you say? 

You have a good eye.  Yes the Crown Premiums is next to the black one.  The one draw back to it is the fender emblem says 396 Turbo Fire and it is of course  a 327 Fuel Injection engine.  It is pretty well detailed though.  I think the shape on the non-red ones are all pretty good and you would have to have them side by side to see any differences.  The one thing I always check is whether or not the peak of the front fender extends onto the door as it should.  The aluminum wheels have a bit of a difference but nothing terrible.

4 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

You have a good eye.  Yes the Crown Premiums is next to the black one.  The one draw back to it is the fender emblem says 396 Turbo Fire and it is of course  a 327 Fuel Injection engine.  It is pretty well detailed though.  I think the shape on the non-red ones are all pretty good and you would have to have them side by side to see any differences.  The one thing I always check is whether or not the peak of the front fender extends onto the door as it should.  The aluminum wheels have a bit of a difference but nothing terrible.

OK, thank you very much for the help on this. i really like the blue colors, and i am going to see what i can find. thank you again