Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gofer Selling Revell Parts Packs?

In my daily check-in for product arrivals at my distributors, I came across these two announcements from Gofer. #1108 "Ford 427 Competition Engine" and #1130 "Top Fuel Dragster Frame". They surely LOOK like Revell Parts Pack kits so I'm wondering is this a private label deal with Atlantis or what's the word?

No ImageNo Image

No first hand info here.....but I worked for Gofer at one time. He was a big hobby distributor at one time and did private issue kit and I think he knew Pete at Atlantis....so makes sense he would have Atlantis runs some stuff. They may be over runs of items Atlantis is doing. 

Interesting.  I was at a LHS yesterday and the manager showed me a couple of really old parts packs someone had given him.  One was the dragster frame pictured here and the other was the Mooneyes dragster frame.  Prices on the packages were 49 cents and 69 cents, respectively.  He had them hanging on the wall behind the counter, not for sale.

The choices are curious...the Ford engine is one of the four that Revell reissued last time around.  That chassis was not particularly hard to find until a few years ago.  The pack with the equipment for the dragster chassis (axles and steering gear) is much harder to find.  Prior to these being available, the chassis is still easier to find than the equipment pack.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 10:36 PM, CabDriver said:

I tried Googling but I couldn’t find a website for Gofer - any indication of when these will be released?

Never mind - they're out now.

Next dumb question for anyone who's going to be building one of these - what planning to use for the suspension components? 

18 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Never mind - they're out now.

Next dumb question for anyone who's going to be building one of these - what planning to use for the suspension components? 

Yeah, really wish they had released the Dragster Speed Equipment pack which has all the suspension components as well. I know many of us have parts boxes and kit stash to steal from, but I would have bought several of the dragster speed equipment packs by themselves, they have such great period parts. We know that pack exists because it's being used for the upcoming Mooneyes kit.

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Yeah, really wish they had released the Dragster Speed Equipment pack which has all the suspension components as well. I know many of us have parts boxes and kit stash to steal from, but I would have bought several of the dragster speed equipment packs by themselves, they have such great period parts. We know that pack exists because it's being used for the upcoming Mooneyes kit.

The original double kits (including the one with the Mooneyes dragster) included the roadster chassis accessory pack, not the dragster accessories.  A couple of the parts were reworked; for example, the tow bar in the accessory pack was reworked for use as the dragster's front radius rod.  There are other compromises too, like the original Mooneyes dragster having a Hydra-Matic transmission which the 1:1 dragster definitely did not have.

21 hours ago, CabDriver said:

...Next dumb question for anyone who's going to be building one of these - what planning to use for the suspension components? 

Here's a build thread I started back in 2016 using an original Revell issue of the frame...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

5 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Here's a build thread I started back in 2016 using an original Revell issue of the frame...

Perfect!  Just the set of instructions I needed! 😂

(I’m not above trying to figure things out myself, but it certainly helps seeing what the experts did!)

I have posted pix of all of the Revell Parts Packs I have here: https://public.fotki.com/jferren/revell-parts-packs/ 

It is interesting that the Gofer dragster fame is slightly different than the Revell version. Notice the hole for the rear axle on the Revell frame is a slot on the Gofer frame. 

https://public.fotki.com/jferren/revell-parts-packs/img-3455.html -RRR

21 hours ago, Mark said:

The slot could be an alteration made when the parts packs were consolidated into double car kits.

Good call, Mark. You're correct. I just took a look at my Scarlet Screamer/Bantam Bomber Double Car Kit and the frame does have the slot for the axle, as well as the small support piece as shown in the Gofer kit, that's not in the original parts pack. Interesting..... -RRR

On 5/27/2021 at 11:52 AM, Mark said:

The original double kits (including the one with the Mooneyes dragster) included the roadster chassis accessory pack, not the dragster accessories.  A couple of the parts were reworked; for example, the tow bar in the accessory pack was reworked for use as the dragster's front radius rod.  There are other compromises too, like the original Mooneyes dragster having a Hydra-Matic transmission which the 1:1 dragster definitely did not have.

I stand corrected. As always you are the bastion of essential kit history. (hope that doesn't come of as facetious, because it is meant honestly)

However, that doesn't change the fact that it really would have been nice for them to offer some sort of suspension parts pack to flesh out the offerings. Fingers crossed it's planned for the future.

I would think the frame kits would sell better if the companion accessory kits were offered alongside.  In fact, those would probably sell better than the frames, just like they did first time around.  But Atlantis is probably still in the stage of figuring out what they have or don't have, and what is ready to run and what is not.