Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack L with a Snorkel

have had a request to build a snorkel in 1:50 scale.  The snorkel will go on the back of a Corgi L model Mack pumper that will be modified accordingly.  I have the blank body from which to get measurements for the mounting of the base.  The Springfield Mack is the correct size so I measured the wheelbase and adjusted the photo of the Forest Lake rig to match it.  

001.JPG.70efcf3078d61fded9d648c95551cb73.JPG

The photo above is lousy, I know.  But I have a profile shot of a similar one that was transferred to a CAD program for sizing.  Here's the beginning of the boom and basket made of soldered brass.

003.JPG.c56e0c03209aeb77ae17fabcd682f89c.JPG

The basket construction is of soldered brass using strip stock, sheet stock and rod stock.  The boom is made using square brass tubing.  The two lines in the upper boom section indicate how much has to be cut from it to get the correct length.  Square brass stock telescopes nicely so a short section will be inserted in the boom after it is cut to maintain alignment when it's soldered back together.  A similar amount needs to come off the bottom section as well but that will have to wait until the supports for the body are done.

004.JPG.b12c8405a919360bb5fd90ce7dd03f6d.JPG

A piece of brass rod was bent to form a rectangle for the door.  Sections of brass tubing were slid on and then were soldered to the upright on the basket.  Now the door opens.

005.JPG.ae84568e5432e6a475be075eaa664020.JPG

The soldering around the edges of the basket are still rough but a little tlc will clean them up.  Some of the holes near the edge need to be filled.  The basket and boom will be painted white.

006.JPG

That's going to be interesting.  Small, too.

I've always wondered why they use 1/50 for these trucks & not 1/48 which would make it the same scale as model aircraft, armor, & O-gauge railways.

Edited by Jim B