Model Cars Magazine Forum

Like button

2 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Nobody's forcing your to embrace anything.  You can still write the same eloquent replies that you always do.

I have no intention of using the like button.

I fail to see why anyone would care if some anonymous person likes something. Somebody kindly explain how this is a good thing versus typing a few words so somebody knows why you like something.

Hmmm. On other sites using the same forum software, it’s not anonymous. Anyone can click on the like button to see who reacted and how. Must be a setting. 

Also, I see the upvote (green up arrow) and downvote (red down arrow) aren’t enabled, probably a good idea, as downvotes can get contentious. 

Edited by Rob Hall

8 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Somebody kindly explain how this is a good thing versus typing a few words so somebody knows why you like something.

Sometimes, a thumbs up or a smiley face is all that is needed.  And it would help eliminate posts where someone quotes a bunch of photos or text with a short reply.    The like button is pretty common place all over the internet…

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Everybody I hung with dressed like this...

...or this.     B)

Retro 1960's Swimwear, Beachwear and Surf Fashion : Dust ...

Guy on the right. With the Speedo. I rest my case. 🙂 

Nice Alia board tho. Don't see those very often. 

I grew up in the SF Bay area. We had our share of hippies. There are some notable exceptions, but I learned a long time ago that clothes didn't necessarily indicate very much about a person's character. 

Seems like we have somekind of Like button now, I guess someone had liked my post somewhere as I got a notification and somekind of green box was right next to my post.

As long as the like button doesn't kill communication, or comments on build threads/finished models, I'm fine with it. Several forums where I visit, they have the like button, but I've personally never used it. I much rather post a comment than click the button. I don't use FB either so don't know how it works over there.

But let's see, if people are still posting comments on build threads and finished models, then the button doesn't matter me. But if there is only bunch of likes and zero comments, then at least I will post my builds somewhere else in the future. Let's see what happens.;)

• Thanks 1

I guess I’ve always looked at the concept of the “Like” button from the perspective that if all that I can muster in the form of enthusiasm for the approval of something is a single jab of an index finger, I probably don’t really “like” it all that much. 😑

Steve

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/28/2021 at 2:58 AM, W-409 said:

Seems like we have somekind of Like button now, I guess someone had liked my post somewhere as I got a notification and somekind of green box was right next to my post.

As long as the like button doesn't kill communication, or comments on build threads/finished models, I'm fine with it. Several forums where I visit, they have the like button, but I've personally never used it. I much rather post a comment than click the button. I don't use FB either so don't know how it works over there.

But let's see, if people are still posting comments on build threads and finished models, then the button doesn't matter me. But if there is only bunch of likes and zero comments, then at least I will post my builds somewhere else in the future. Let's see what happens.;)

This is my greatest concern. If this happens it will be difficult to undo the damage and the board will suffer for it. 

Personally, I'm not concerned one way or the other if it gets used or not.

Myself, I'd probably use, as sometimes I have nothing to add other than "nice build."

Having said that, if it will help stop people from quoting a post with a dozen pics, just to add "nice" then I'm all for it.

Of course, when some people realize that by using the like button, they aren't increasing their post count, they'll stop using it.

I wonder though, why do people want to see who liked their posts? Not sure what the point of that is.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I wonder though, why do people want to see who liked their posts? Not sure what the point of that is.

Huh. The like button concept is suppose to be a type of communication. If you don't know who reacted to your post exactly how is that communication?

• Confused 1

• 5 months later...