Model Cars Magazine Forum

Source for 60s and 70s greens in a spray can?

I'm looking for somewhere to find correct 60s and 70s green paint colors in spray cans. I'm mainly interested in ivy green and highland green along with the light chevy green. I've tried modern paint and the tone just isn't right but I don't want to spend $30 on a custom mixed can from the paint shop. 

I just bought paint from automotive touchup and the color was very wrong. i had even called the dealership parts department to get the right color code. I ordered a blue that was almost like a sky blue and with 1 thin coat it looked almost navy blue. The paint is good quality but not what i wanted 

I didn't answer your question but more of me just complaining 

Check your local auto parts stores and paint jobbers (not chains like Advance or Auto Zone), also NAPA paint outlets.  Some may have the capability to mix colors and put the paint into spray cans.  This used to be a rare thing but seems to be more prevalent now.  Not cheap, but cheaper than having it done somewhere else and shipped to you.

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

I can get 12 Oz cans made locally for $30 so that is looking like the best route at the moment. 

For that money you can get an airbrush set up and get any color you can think of from one of the after market paint providers for the cost of a few cans of paint!

Steve

23 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

For that money you can get an airbrush set up and get any color you can think of from one of the after market paint providers for the cost of a few cans of paint!

Steve

I agree, once I get my model room finished an airbrush is the next major purchase. It will pay for itself quickly. 

14 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

I agree, once I get my model room finished an airbrush is the next major purchase. It will pay for itself quickly. 

The airbrush itself won’t be that major of a purchase in comparison.

You can get a pretty nice airbrush for the cost of about 36 oz. of paint!

Steve

3 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I ordered a can of Mulsanne Blue from Automotive Touchup. They "canned" it, for me. Seeing "Youpey'''s response, above, I hope they got it correct!

If you like, i can take a picture of the paint on a spoon. I had done it on the card they give you and then link the color i was trying to get

24 minutes ago, youpey said:

If you like, i can take a picture of the paint on a spoon. I had done it on the card they give you and then link the color i was trying to get

Thanks, Miles. I would definitely be interested in seeing that. I bought mine a few years ago, for a '70 Chevelle that I haven't got back around to working on.

24 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Thanks, Miles. I would definitely be interested in seeing that. I bought mine a few years ago, for a '70 Chevelle that I haven't got back around to working on.

Here is the paint.

And what it was supposed to look like. I understand it won't be exact but to me they are very different.  I suppose it is possible i am not spraying it right but im doing it how i normally spray. Maybe I will try to do even a lighter coat

PCE.jpg

16205193516157095470540678492150.jpg

Edited by youpey

12 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

That looks like the old Testors Copenhagen Blue! Definitely looks darker than what I see in the photo. Thanks for sharing that.

hopefully they get your color right. 

the paint is very nice, just not the color i wanted.

11 hours ago, youpey said:

Here is the paint.

And what it was supposed to look like. I understand it won't be exact but to me they are very different.  I suppose it is possible i am not spraying it right but im doing it how i normally spray. Maybe I will try to do even a lighter coat

PCE.jpg

16205193516157095470540678492150.jpg

When your local shop packages an aerosol of paint, it's a very small volume of paint that is mixed. Any error, such a one extra drop of one color toner, will have a huge impact on final color. Going into an aerosol, there isn't enough room to correct either.

My experience is some guys can mix any color in any volume and get you what you want, other guys will give you a quart of light blue or light yellow when you wanted white. 

It's partly art, partly science.

8 minutes ago, 62SY4 said:

When your local shop packages an aerosol of paint, it's a very small volume of paint that is mixed. Any error, such a one extra drop of one color toner, will have a huge impact on final color. Going into an aerosol, there isn't enough room to correct either.

My experience is some guys can mix any color in any volume and get you what you want, other guys will give you a quart of light blue or light yellow when you wanted white. 

It's partly art, partly science.

i was going to buy it directly from fiat as a spray. they offer it. however, they required me to pay in person and pick up in person, and the closest fiat dealership is over 1 hour away. i assumed that this place would offer the same quality. 

at this point, i am not going to bother trying to buy the right color

Is it possible your choice of primer could be causing a color shift?  Maybe a lighter color primer would bring the blue back down to where you want it.  Just some questions off the top of my head, you may have already considered this.

4 hours ago, youpey said:

i was going to buy it directly from fiat as a spray. they offer it. however, they required me to pay in person and pick up in person, and the closest fiat dealership is over 1 hour away. i assumed that this place would offer the same quality. 

at this point, i am not going to bother trying to buy the right color

Your Fiat dealer may or may not mix on site. Likely not if they don't have a large collision center attached. Assuming no, the can you buy from them is mixed in a big vat, sampled and adjusted, then packaged. 

Your local jobber doesn't have the tools or time and probably lacks the desire to make it exact, the paint supply shops around here don't guarantee color match.

The bigger collision shops all mix on site so they can adjust as they go.

These points have nothing to do with 'quality' per se, just without complex automated dispensing equipment any mixing is subject to errors and the smaller the mixed quantity, the worse it gets. It's impossible to get good repeatability and reproducibility 'by hand' and with little volume and no where to put it, it's tough. If I need less than a gallon, my guy mixes in gallon can so he can 'tune' the mix to my standards.

Unfortunately unless you are a high volume buyer or have a good personal relationship with the jobber, there is no incentive to improve.