Model Cars Magazine Forum

From the Vault – You choose the rare/vintage kit to build. Voting ends 5/14.

From the Vault – You choose the rare/vintage kit to build.  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which rare/vintage kit would like to see as a build up article? Choose 1.

• MPC – Turbo Camaro – This is a rebuilder gasser that will use the turbine engine option
    • Monogram Jet Racer – This is a mint kit from the 50s! How good can wood look? Maybe we can find out.
    • Renewal Pierce Arrow – This rebuilder needs a new life of elegance.

This poll is closed to new votes

I figured it was time to start building some of those rare/vintage kit’s I have collected over the years. I also wanted to contribute to the magazine. I reached out to Gregg and his team and presented my idea. They agreed to give it a try.

HERE IS HOW IT WORKS…

I post a choice of three kits here on the forum. The members of the forum can vote on which kit they would like to see built. From there I would build the kit pretty close to box art, with minimal scratch building and detailing. A build-up article would be featured in Model Cars magazine. This gives people a chance to see what that rare/vintage kit actually builds into and learn about any challenges that may pop up along the way. 

When picking the models to offer up, I primarily tried to pick models that have not been reissued for at least 20 years, are unusual, are considered "rare" or desirable, or might make an interesting subject. I also tried to stay away from models that have been recently featured in the WIP section of the forum. (I wanted to offer a Mean Maverick but Fantom has one in the Drag Racing WIP section right now.) The quality of the kits offered ranges from mint, to resin, to clone, to glue bomb. 

Please vote for one you would like to see a build-up in an article for Model Cars.

LOT 1

MPC – Turbo Camaro – This is a rebuilder gasser that will use the turbine engine option. 

image.png.a03f9c285d3b64223c2b73d5fb610408.png

Monogram Jet Racer – This is a mint kit from the 50s! How good can wood look? Maybe we can find out.

image.png.ae7f219647a7f01d30762421c3ba08d2.png

Renewal Pierce Arrow – This rebuilder needs a new life of elegance.

image.png.cda60853127e42a9de279d4eba521218.png

PLEASE VOTE FOR 1.

Here is a preview of LOT 2 that will be the next up for a vote:

IMC Avenger/Fiber Fab kit car – Can this glue bomb be saved?

Monogram Super Digger 1/12 – Push the button and watch this one run the ¼ mile!

Monogram Uncertain T – Yep, that one!

Thank you for your participation!

Scott

• Scott Colmer changed the title to From the Vault – You choose the rare/vintage kit to build.

I vote you send that Peirce Arrow up to me, Scott. I know what to do with that. 😁

But seriously, 

Easiest way to post a pic is to just right klik on the pic, klik on "copy image" and past in the message box. Super easy.

Edited by Can-Con

My two cents.....
1. Camaro, come on, those are a dime a dozen.
2. Jet Racer, before my time, I've heard about that era being blocks of wood.  I built model rockets as a teen, know something about finishing balsa wood.  But what an ugly thing!
3. Pierce Arrow, never have seen that before, it's a rescue, decent looking design, that's why I voted for it.

Scott, since I voted for the Renwal Pierce Arrow, I am curious- are you thinking of a box stock restoration or something a bit more ambitious? One thing about the revival tires- they are really narrow and the model would benefit from a swap out  to wider tires. Don’t know if the side mount wells would need altering or not. This model scales out to Bugatti Royale dimensions in 1/25th scale, and would probably weigh the same!

Thanks to Steve, Dave, Jim, Warren, Kurt, and Bruce for your input and to all those who voted so far. It really adds to the fun of this project!

Voting will close Friday night. Then I'll announce the car that will be built for the article.

Paul and Chris, if the Pierce Arrow does keep its top spot, I agree that it could use a bit extra to add some interest. I also had some minor mods in mind for the other candidates. 

Scott

11 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

Thanks to Steve, Dave, Jim, Warren, Kurt, and Bruce for your input and to all those who voted so far. It really adds to the fun of this project!

Voting will close Friday night. Then I'll announce the car that will be built for the article.

Paul and Chris, if the Pierce Arrow does keep its top spot, I agree that it could use a bit extra to add some interest. I also had some minor mods in mind for the other candidates. 

Scott

It could use some extra details to make it less toylike, though I really hope you resist the urge to "improve" the styling.   The Exner quirks, both good and bad, are what make it interesting.

• Scott Colmer changed the title to From the Vault – You choose the rare/vintage kit to build. Voting ends 5/14.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Mike, Thanks for checking it out. The Renewal kit did win. SO you are late, but you hit the mark.

Hey Paul, This series is going to be covered in articles in MCM. It will be a build up (more like break down and rebuild) article. I'm just finishing up a photo booth with some great input from Tim at MCM. The car is coming apart without too much damage.

I do not think this project will make issue 109. Hopefully it will show in 110.

Thanks to everyone who voted and provided input!

Scott

• 3 months later...

Hey Paul,

LOTS of progress on the Pierce Arrow. Your's and other member's suggestions (along with some of my own tendencies) really determined the direction of the buildup . We will definitely be in issue 210 as promised. 

I had no idea you were such and Renwal/Exner fan. Your excellent post is timed well.  And your collection is awesome.

As far as sneak photos go, let me check with editorial. I like the idea!

Scott