Model Cars Magazine Forum

6 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Carhenge

Are there kits of all these cars?

There are for and others you can get close. The wagons will be the hardest to find. Starting left to right you've got a big Pontiac you could use the 70s Bonneville kit for, I think a 70ish Chevelle might be next, then a Pinto on top, I'm not sure about either wagon up front. The Atlantis reissue of the old Revell Cadillac would work for the one here, the next one might get spendy for a Johan Dodge or Plymouth you can see the rear of and it's sitting on something GM. The free standing one is an early 60s X frame GM something then it looks like an early 60s Galaxie with a 66 Chevelle on top. I'm sure there are more pictures that can help with more thorough IDs.

8 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

A few more shots that might help you along with your identification process.

[...]

Steve

Thanks for posting more pictures.  I didn't see some of those earlier.

The Willys pickup stands out to me, don't recall a model of that.

16 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

Liberty Classics did a diecast model Jeep pickup.

Also, I happen to have some old clippings relating to Carhenge.

[...]

That's an awesome contribution, there isn't more than tourist trap info on the web.

My wife and I returned yesterday from a quick road trip out to the Granite Mountain Hotshots Memorial in Arizona. We stopped at the Cadillac Ranch on the way and I snapped a few pics. It's neat for what it is but the Caddys are so caked with spray paint that they're almost unrecognizable...

20210507_074720_resized.jpg

20210507_074843_resized.jpg

20210507_074915_resized.jpg

20210507_074938_resized.jpg

On 5/9/2021 at 7:25 PM, 89AKurt said:

Thanks for posting more pictures.  I didn't see some of those earlier.

The Willys pickup stands out to me, don't recall a model of that.

No kit available of the Willys, only a diecast stake box....so I cast one.🙂 Link to my long, slow build.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/156181-‘54-willys-pu/

Edited by NOBLNG

As a child I was given a neat book by my grandmother, titled Automerica by the Ant Farm artist collective.  They were behind the installation that later became known as Cadillac Ranch, among other '70s wackiness.  The book gives an illustrated account of the creation of Cadillac Ranch.  IIRC the idea was to celebrate the evolution of the tailfins from year to year.  They were OK with allowing graffiti on the cars, but vandals pretty well ruined them over the years IMHO.  In the late '90s the monument was moved from its first location to another.  Also, apparently in 2019 the oldest of the bunch was set on fire by vandals.

Drivetribe article, including some older photos:  https://drivetribe.com/p/1-buried-cars-art-cadillac-ranch-BuWyMfzLRXeQ8lsr2jRMCw?iid=d5G3CAOyRN-hXHg9I_LVjw

For further reading here's a neat article from someone who photographed Cadillac Ranch through the '90s:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/forty-years-of-the-cadillac-ranch/