Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Olds Toronado

BIGTRUCK

These kits are sketchy on a good day but man thats some artwork. My only memory of building a Palmer or Premier kit was when I was a kid of 9 or 10 tops and on vacation with the family to my mothers sister in California. My mother picked up one of these kits molded in red with some grey parts and kind of looked like the car on the box. I rolled my eyes then and rolled them now , but I am going to build this one at age 66. I have a few in my collection of kits but this one had the body and interior painted in red. I let it soak in Castrol Super Clean for a week and its pretty clean so now just gonna do it.🙄

I epoxied the left and right lower body halves to the top piece and now need to blend in what will not come off. Not really going to try and remove those molded in skirts , thats what gives this Toro its funk, but believe this , all those extra chrome parts on the side flap will not make it better. That same side flap of chrome items is on a bunch if Palmer kits from the 60s.

IMG_20210509_180453702.jpg

IMG_20210509_180518232.jpg

IMG_20210509_180818694.jpg

17 hours ago, BIGTRUCK said:

Not really going to try and remove those molded in skirts , thats what gives this Toro its funk

Well, that's one of the things. Funk seems to be oozing out several other places as well.

Cool project. There is always a curiosity and intrigue surrounding Palmer kits. Modelling in detail the cars of Bizarro World. Looking forward to watching this build.

I filled the gaps on the body sides and repaired some blems from glued areas. Even tho' it does not make this kit correct, I added slightly bigger tires and some close enough hubcaps that are from the 65 Chevelle wagon. I think pretty soon it should look like a little version of the MPC Californian . This will never look close to stock so some kind of custom it will be.

20210512_115944.jpg

20210512_120108.jpg

New on left, original on the right.

20210512_115928.jpg

Edited by BIGTRUCK

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

Good luck with this project. Don't recall ever building a Palmer kit.

Building a Palmer kit is something you rarely built if you were spending your own money, and cringe if you got one as a gift when you were a kid.  The picture on the box is what sucked you in . 

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

If it didn't say Cobra on the package you would be hard pressed to know what they are or.... supposed to be !

That's a fact...I'm not sure even what oddball scale it is. I used 1:25th tires and hub caps on this Toronado.