Model Cars Magazine Forum

Winchester Gray Metallic paint

With all the hype of the rare Cuda up for auction I was thinking of building a Cuda in the GA4 Winchester Gray Metallic and was wondering if anybody knows of a comparable readily available spray can or craft acrylic paint that would closely approximate it. Not really looking to have to go to a paint mixing shop but I'd be willing to hear your thoughts on something you have used.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

I thought I was going to be able to resolve this for you quickly, but you may (justifiably) balk at the price.

MCW recently introduced a fairly extensive line of 1:1 automotive enamels designed specifically for airbrushing.  Most are $7.50 a bottle.  Unfortunately, their Winchester Gray is much more

Winchester Gray Met. - Special Order    $18.00

Hope someone can help you find what you need. 

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Tamiya Light Gunmetal is quite close . Oddly ( or not ) that was the nomenclature that Dodge used for GA4 Winchester Grey .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Google images I found seem to indicate Winchester Grey has a bluish tint to the paint, where Tamiya Light Gunmetal doesn't.

https://www.google.com/search?q=winchester+gray+metallic&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS698US698&sxsrf=ALeKk02iiELUTu-aymJLbhm_PT26IzQmKg:1620779899478&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi066rR88LwAhWJHc0KHX9XCIYQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1527&bih=787

Wow, this turned out to be surprisingly tough.  Touch-up paints are kinda spendy ($30-$45) and my quick Google search showed Dupli-Color doesn't offer an exact match, just a bunch of metallic grays.

Tom, I hope one of the Mopar guys can help you find an acceptable solution.

14 hours ago, bisc63 said:

I think I would start with that Tamiya color, and tint it with a few drops of blue/green til I had what I wanted. Worth experimenting.

That's the best resolve  ; that's a great idea : instill some of Tamiya's Clear Blue into their gunmetal . 

The more that I thought about my original suggestion , the more I realised that Tamiya's aerosol Gunmetal is closer to Silver Frost ( JA5 ) or even the 1974-1976 LA2 silver .

7 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

That's the best resolve  ; that's a great idea : instill some of Tamiya's Clear Blue into their gunmetal . 

The more that I thought about my original suggestion , the more I realised that Tamiya's aerosol Gunmetal is closer to Silver Frost ( JA5 ) or even the 1974-1976 LA2 silver .

If you read the original request, it looks like he's wanting the paint to be in a spray can, so mixing, or buying the airbrush paint I suggested, aren't what he wants.

Everybody,

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. The MCW paint at $18 is not out of the realm of possibility- I recently bought a medium sized bottle of paint for $30. 

I am looking for ideas on spray or airbrush paints so rattle cans or paint mixing works either way. I like the idea of mixing some blue/green with the light Gunmetal too. I just thought that someone might know a quick answer to my question.

Again, thanks for all of the ideas! 

Later-

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From Hamtramck Historical  , the paint chip pages for 1971 ( first link ) and 1969 ( second link ) .

The aforementioned 1969 'A4' is preceded by an 'E' ( 'EA4' ) which is a 1969 colour ( the 'E' = '1969' ) . 

It was reformulated for 1971 , and issued 'GA4' ( 'G' = 1971 ) .

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1971 Paint Chip Charts Slideshow (hamtramck-historical.com) [ 1971 paint ]

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1969 Paint Chip Charts Slideshow (hamtramck-historical.com) [ 1969 paint ]