Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fine Detailing

What is best to use for fine detailing? I've seen where people are using paint pens and sharpies. Is that better than a fine tip brush? I'm working on my first kit in 20 years and I've already made a mess of it trying to do some detailing. Back in the day I didn't take much time with detailing just threw my kits together, but now I want to make them look better. My old eyes and shaking hands ain't helping. 

Each tool has it's own purpose, pens are great for some things, others are better with a brush, sometimes I use a toothpick with a drop of paint on the tip. You just kind of have to experiment and see which tool works best for the task for you.

39 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

Each tool has it's own purpose, pens are great for some things, others are better with a brush, sometimes I use a toothpick with a drop of paint on the tip. You just kind of have to experiment and see which tool works best for the task for you.

I too use pointed toothpicks!!   Just don't put too much paint on it.

15 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

I too use pointed toothpicks!!   Just don't put too much paint on it.

A round toothpick has a taper to it. Figure out how big a circle you need to paint a switch, button, key hole etc and cut it down and sand it flat. Dip in paint and use it like a rubber stamp to deliver what you need, exactly where you need it!

Edited by Tom Geiger

3 hours ago, bluestringer said:

My old eyes and shaking hands ain't helping. 

I deal with the same problems. I suggest getting a small vise to hold parts you're working on. This is what I use. I bolted it to a 2 x 6 to provide some heft.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-3-4-quarter-inch-articulated-vacuum-vise-3311.html

The articulated head let's you position pieces level to dry after gluing or hand painting. When I do precision work, I use both hands, using my left to steady my right. Getting old has it's challenges. :rolleyes:

If its a knob, nut, bolt I'll use a tooth pic .  if its the fan belt, seats, under the hood I'll use a brush.  I use a permanent marker for some exterior/interior trim, and some gauges.  The Molotow Chrome Markers are good for chrome touch up.  I have a big magnifying glass clamped to a piece of metal that suspends it above my work bench so I'm looking down on my work hands free.

IMG_20210511_201049.jpg

Edited by Zippi

I know that you'll all think I'm nuts and it might not be of much help to the OP, but I use a relatively fat brush for my finest detailing.

I was never able to get the hang of one of those tiny "single hair" brushes, or even a tooth pick for that matter.

It works better for me to use something that holds a decent quantity of paint.

I load the brush with a pretty good amount of paint and then "wick off" a good portion of the paint with a rolling motion on a paper towel before applying it.

This concentrates what paint remains in the very tip and assures that the paint will flow, but only as much as allowed, determined by how much you wick off.

It's a little hard to explain, but I can usually tackle even the smallest details in this fashion.

I almost never use Sharpies or other markers because I generally like to clear coat over much of my finest detailing to protect it from rubbing off during any handling or final assembly.

Sharpies will bleed all over the place if you try to clear over them.

This is the smallest painting tool that I use.

image.jpeg.d218a5cc24ad44718b8ab766632e209e.jpeg

I don't have a lot of examples of small detailing available to view at the moment, but these Hemi valve cover bolt heads were done with the above brush. 

image.jpeg.e29d28da0a2661fd5a9a01c63811e0fe.jpeg

Steve

I use a tooth pick for a lot of details. Shake the bottle of paint and dip the toothpick into the paint on the LID (not the jar). You can really control how much is applied and where.

The top row is Tamiya panel line accent in the recesses and MM Black Chrome trim enamel applied with a toothpick on the ridges (not the spokes).

The middle row is 67 Shelby rims with multiple applications of panel line accent.

The bottom row is painstakingly applied MM Black Chrome only with 5 tooth pick droplets for EACH recess. The spokes and lug nuts are still chrome.

I am still have not decided which to use on my 69 Boss 429.

523215979_MagnumandShelbywheels.thumb.JPG.a73cac0aea00684a178fe7ca2bc142f5.JPG

I would be lost without my tooth picks. I use both styles and the long round ones.  Small  brushes from Hobby Lobby are great if you clean them properly and wash them occasionally.. They last a long time and you can catch them on sale often.

16 hours ago, bluestringer said:

What is best to use for fine detailing? I've seen where people are using paint pens and sharpies. Is that better than a fine tip brush? I'm working on my first kit in 20 years and I've already made a mess of it trying to do some detailing. Back in the day I didn't take much time with detailing just threw my kits together, but now I want to make them look better. My old eyes and shaking hands ain't helping. 

I have the same problems and all of the suggestions I see here are good ones. I now use toothpicks to paint white lettering on tires, using water based white paint. I use both Sharpie markers and Sharpie paint pens, each has it's own purpose. A Sharpie marker over a chrome surface is a great replication of a 1:1 red or amber light. If not chrome, paint the light silver with an extra fine point Sharpie paint pen, allow to dry a day or so, then use a Sharpie marker. 

My old hands won't let me use brushes anymore for some jobs. About those Sharpie paint pens and Testor's paint pens, they get dried out too quickly if not used for a while. When that happens, I use a sharp hobby knife to scrape off the tip, then clean the tip in paint thinner. 

Dry brushing is a really nice technique to use when detailing suspension parts, and engine parts. It doesn’t give that “brand new” show car look, but it looks realistic for a driven car, IMO. The rear springs, and other suspension components were dry brushed with silver enamel over semi gloss black on this 63 Plymouth Fury. 

D7BAE5FF-2EC1-4C4D-96E8-F10B7483CFF4.jpeg

On 5/11/2021 at 2:26 PM, bluestringer said:

I hear you. I'm having a heck of a time with a 1964 Comet and the side trim.