Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Ramp Truck

On 7/10/2022 at 8:52 PM, 1972coronet said:

Here's an unboxing of the kit (see below). This dude must've lucked out -- different batch, maybe?

Shame, shame, shame on the warpage that you folks are encountering.

Na, i see some warpage here.

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

Okay, the more I test fit things, the worst this kit gets. I’m finding more and more warped parts as I go along. Most should not be a problem for the most part. But, a part couple need out right replacement. The hood (part #2) and ramp (part #420) there is no hope for. They for sure need to be replaced. I’m afraid to start doing any sub-assembly, in fear of what more I might find. 

I’m going to come right out and say it. This kit is the biggest piece of junk kit I’ve purchased in a long time. I have never been as impressed as others have with Moebius’ car or truck kits as others have been in the past. I have found them difficult to build in general. I really do like the subjects they’ve picked to model though. So I’ve purchased  several over the years. But, again I’ve found them tough to build. With that in mind, and the warped parts in this kit, I’m not even going to go any farther with it. I’m going to have talk to seller (I bought it from a vendor on eBay), and see if I can send it back for a refund. It’s not the seller’s fault. And I also don’t blame Model King. I’ve bought many good kits released through them in the past. This falls flat into Moebius’ lap. The quality of this kit is inexcusable. This maybe the last Moebius kit I ever buy.

A9645A72-C1E5-4158-82AC-47C382625DAE.jpeg

185CFB39-96A2-4F63-9F2C-F8785A855A0A.jpeg

F81E4606-D7E1-4B0B-BFDC-F549CF310DB3.jpeg

Edited by unclescott58

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

Okay, the more I test fit things, the worst this kit gets. I’m finding more and more warped parts as I go along. Most should not be a problem for the most part. But, a part couple need out right replacement. The hood (part #2) and ramp (part #420) there is no hope for. They for sure need to be placed. I’m afraid to start doing any sub-assembly, in fear of what more I might find. 

I’m going to come out and say it. This kit is the biggest piece of junk kit I’ve purchased in a long time. I have never been as impressed with Moebius car or truck kits as others have been in the past. I have found them difficult to build in general. I like the subjects they’ve picked to model. But, again I’ve found them tough to build. With the warped parts in this kit, I’m not even going to go any farther with it. I’m going to have talk to seller (I bought it from a vendor on eBay), and see if I can send it back for a refund. It’s not the seller’s fault. And I also don’t blame Model King. I’ve bought many good kits released through them in the past. This falls flat into Moebius’ lap. The quality of this kit is inexcusable. This maybe my last Moebius kit I ever buy.

A9645A72-C1E5-4158-82AC-47C382625DAE.jpeg

185CFB39-96A2-4F63-9F2C-F8785A855A0A.jpeg

F81E4606-D7E1-4B0B-BFDC-F549CF310DB3.jpeg

That really sucks man.  I got mine off ebay too.  I'm going to check everything again 100% on my kit tomorrow.  If you do send it back and get your money AMT is re releasing there ramp truck kit sometime this month.  

6 hours ago, Dpate said:

That really sucks man.  I got mine off ebay too.  I'm going to check everything again 100% on my kit tomorrow.  If you do send it back and get your money AMT is re releasing there ramp truck kit sometime this month.  

I still have the last reissue of the AMT ramp track from a few years back. And of course I have several copies of MPC’s racer wedge. The design of Moeius’ kit is not the problem. I sure the molds are fine. It’s a quality control issue. It’s a shame. 

5 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Just wondering that if one assembles the wedge (using rubber bands etc) it straightens itself out, or not.

The hood and part main part of the ramp floor, part #420, will not straighten out on my example no matter how many “rubber bands,” or clamps, etc, one uses. The other warped parts might. But, I’m not going to start working on this, only to find other unresolvable issues later on. I hopefully can get my money back now, instead. Before I gotten to a point where that maybe impossible. This kit with shipping, cost me just under $50 U.S. Not a huge amount money. But, more than I’m willing to just throw away. 

Edited by unclescott58
  • Like 2

I hope somebody from Moebius is reading this. If not dealt with, this issue could be a showstopper for future sales. I know that I'll be buying the wheels/tires out of this kit as it get parted out, as that is all I want from this kit anyway.

I'm holding out for the F-250 4x4, that is supposed to be next up.

• Like 1

So I checked my kit fully again and I do have some warpage.  Hood has it the worst (Just the right side), but I think if I tape it down to the body, and throw some heat on it it may settle down.  Everything else in the kit is good though. 

7723B735-0723-4955-B6BF-0EA44CEC46D0.jpeg

A999EF86-E5C6-42D5-8CEF-1E9884A7D308.jpeg

7A38D279-6307-443A-BFC5-316B64534F24.jpeg

B9BAFA4B-2244-466B-9F0E-66D0A32CDBB4.jpeg

302BC299-614E-4B28-907C-092402EABBC2.jpeg

Edited by Dpate

20 minutes ago, Dpate said:

So I checked my kit fully again and I do have some warpage.  Hood has it the worst (Just the right side), but I think if I tape it down to the body, and throw some heat on it it may settle down.  Everything else in the kit is good though. 

7723B735-0723-4955-B6BF-0EA44CEC46D0.jpeg

A999EF86-E5C6-42D5-8CEF-1E9884A7D308.jpeg

7A38D279-6307-443A-BFC5-316B64534F24.jpeg

B9BAFA4B-2244-466B-9F0E-66D0A32CDBB4.jpeg

302BC299-614E-4B28-907C-092402EABBC2.jpeg

It looks like your the lucky one. Congratulations. 

9 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

The hood and part main part of the ramp floor, part #420, will not straighten out on my example no matter how many “rubber bands,” or clamps, etc, one uses. The other warped parts might. But, I’m not going to start working on this, only to find other unresolvable issues later on. I hopefully can get my money back now, instead. Before I gotten to a point where that maybe impossible. This kit with shipping, cost me just under $50 U.S. Not a huge amount money. But, more than I’m willing to just throw away. 

I’m a little confused. At first the seller was not going to take the kit back. Because they claimed I had “started building it.” But, they were willing to refund my shipping costs. I explained, I did not start building the kit. I only took parts out of their bags to check them out. And whether they willing to refund me or not, I was sending the kit back. They came back with a bigger refund. Though I’m confused on how much in the end? I think I’m out $10.00, but I’m not sure. They said, do not send the kit back in meantime. So I maybe $10 shy and stuck with a kit that I can not built. Too much hassle. But, I’ll live with it. 

I think this maybe my last purchase of a Moebius kit. The overall problems I’ve had, as will be seen soon with a ‘65 Comet I’m building, in the “Under Glass” car section, and with other kits. And now this. I don’t trust or like Moebius kits. Quality control is questionable. And not just on this kit. Some assembly steps don’t work well for me. And in general, they are for the most part not fun to build. I’m in this hobby, first because of my love of cars and trucks. And second for the fun of building. Moebius does not offer me what I’m looking for.

Edited by unclescott58

On 7/21/2022 at 1:57 PM, unclescott58 said:

I’m a little confused. At first the seller was not going to take the kit back. Because they claimed I had “started building it.” But, they were willing to refund my shipping costs. I explained, I did not start building the kit. I only took parts out of their bags to check them out. And whether they willing to refund me or not, I was sending the kit back. They came back with a bigger refund. Though I’m confused on how much in the end? I think I’m out $10.00, but I’m not sure. They said, do not send the kit back in meantime. So I maybe $10 shy and stuck with a kit that I can not built. Too much hassle. But, I’ll live with it. 

I think this maybe my last purchase of a Moebius kit. The overall problems I’ve had, as will be seen soon with a ‘65 Comet I’m building, in the “Under Glass” car section, and with other kits. And now this. I don’t trust or like Moebius kits. Quality control is questionable. And not just on this kit. Some assembly steps don’t work well for me. And in general, they are for the most part not fun to build. I’m in this hobby, first because of my love of cars and trucks. And second for the fun of building. Moebius does not offer me what I’m looking for.

Scott, I feel for you man. You should contact Moebius, about it. I think they will take care of It.  Without model builders they are out of business..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slusher said:

Scott, I feel for you man. You should contact Moebius, about it. I think they will take care of It.  Without model builders they are out of business..

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I still like the concept of this kit. And since the seller refused to take it back, I’m debating on contacting Moebius, seeing if I can get replacement parts and trying to build the kit. I’d still like to have a ramp truck like it in my collection. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I still like the concept of this kit. And since the seller refused to take it back, I’m debating on contacting Moebius, seeing if I can get replacement parts and trying to build the kit. I’d still like to have a ramp truck like it in my collection. 

I emailed them to see if I could get a replacement hood.  Haven’t heard anything back yet, but someone here said there aware of all the issues and awaiting for new parts.  

On 7/15/2022 at 9:39 PM, unclescott58 said:

Despite the warping, quality control issues I’m seeing here, I put my order in for the Moebius ramp truck this afternoon. I’m hoping the one I get is okay. After reading and seeing what I’ve seen here, I’m a little bit worried it may not be. 

I have to ask.......Why did you order it knowing full well it had issues and then complain? And if the seller gave you essentially the kit for free, why complain? You could part it out and make some money, give it to someone who will try to build it as it is, or use it for parts.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

I have to ask.......Why did you order it knowing full well it had issues and then complain? And if the seller gave you essentially the kit for free, why complain? You could part it out and make some money, give it to someone who will try to build it as it is, or use it for parts.

I ordered one because not everybody was having troubles. Hoping, that maybe I too would get a good one. It was just bad luck that I did not. Had a little hassle with the vendor not willing to take it back. But, they did agree to refund most of my money in the end. So the problem is generally solved. But, does that mean I should not be unhappy? I still want build a ramp truck, if not Moebius’, one like it. I’ll be very happy if I can build the Moebius ramp truck, one way or another. 

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I ordered one because not everybody was having troubles. Hoping, that maybe I too would get a good one. It was just bad luck that I did not. Had a little hassle with the vendor not willing to take it back. But, they did agree to refund most of my money in the end. So the problem is generally solved. But, does that mean I should not be unhappy? I still want build a ramp truck, if not Moebius’, one like it. I’ll be very happy if I can build the Moebius ramp truck, one way or another. 

Order the replacement parts, then after you receive them, you'll be on your way. It's not like you won't have anything to build 'till then, do ya?

Tongue in cheek ;) :D

Cheers

Luc

I have enjoyed building Moebius kits in the past, so much that I've bought the same kit to build another version. Planned on buying this ramp truck but you guys have made my decision not to. Too bad that Moebius goofed up and I hope the ones who get a good kit enjoy your build. I look forward to seeing them when done.

21 minutes ago, TonyK said:

I have enjoyed building Moebius kits in the past, so much that I've bought the same kit to build another version. Planned on buying this ramp truck but you guys have made my decision not to. Too bad that Moebius goofed up and I hope the ones who get a good kit enjoy your build. I look forward to seeing them when done.

Yes I love moebius kits as well.  Especially there trailer kits and big rigs. It sucks this happened, but they’ll get it sorted out.  Even with the warpage it’s still better quality than what most put out lol.