Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Ramp Truck

On 7/24/2022 at 1:42 AM, Luc Janssens said:

Order the replacement parts, then after you receive them, you'll be on your way. It's not like you won't have anything to build 'till then, do ya?

Tongue in cheek ;) :D

Cheers

Luc

I’m thinking along the the lines your suggesting, Luc. And your right, I may have one or two other models I can work on until then. Or three, four, or a few hundreds. 😜

Edited by unclescott58
  • Like 1

Moebius' customer service has been excellent on this.

I had a closer look, my hood and floor pan were warped. Not as bad as many others I've seen, but still not perfect.

I emailed.  They replied very quickly and said they had the parts in stock would send them out. Asked me to double check the ramp parts, as those were causing the most grief.

I replied and said all was good, it is just the hood and floor.

Replacements now on route, tracking number provided.

:)

And this is why I will always open a kit as soon as I get it. Sounds like a lot of people don't like breaking the factory seal for whatever reason. But if I finally opened it two years down the road, what are the odds of getting replacement parts then?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Moebius' customer service has been excellent on this.

I had a closer look, my hood and floor pan were warped. Not as bad as many others I've seen, but still not perfect.

I emailed.  They replied very quickly and said they had the parts in stock would send them out. Asked me to double check the ramp parts, as those were causing the most grief.

I replied and said all was good, it is just the hood and floor.

Replacements now on route, tracking number provided.

And this is why I will always open a kit as soon as I get it. Sounds like a lot of people don't like breaking the factory seal for whatever reason. But if I finally opened it two years down the road, what are the odds of getting replacement parts then?

It sounds like I need to check the “floor pan”too? Are you referring the interior floor pan? Or the bottom of the ramp section of the truck?

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

It sounds like I need to check the “floor pan”too? Are you referring the interior floor pan? Or the bottom of the ramp section of the truck?

Interior floor plan had a bow in it. There's a good chance it would have straightened itself after gluing the seat and other parts in, but Moebius were willing to send a replacement, so I went with that. 

• Like 1

I just sent a request to Moebius Models for the replacement parts I need. Or at least I think I may have sent in a request to them. I had problems get my iPad to agree to send the message. Heck if I know why? But if I dont’t hear from them in a few days I’ll try again. 

I have to laugh. This kit must be jinxed for me. Even sending a email to their customer service doesn’t want to work. 🤪

43 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

I just sent a request to Moebius Models for the replacement parts I need. Or at least I think I may have sent in a request to them. I had problems get my iPad to agree to send the message. Heck if I know why? But if I dont’t hear from them in a few days I’ll try again. 

I have to laugh. This kit must be jinxed for me. Even sending a email to their customer service doesn’t want to work. 🤪

Happy to say, my message got through, and Moebuis quickly responded. They indicated it will take a while to get the parts I need. But, I expected that, and am okay with that. They indicated that if it was just a hood, that could have been taken care of right away (as we’ve heard from others). So I’ll wait. And hopefully have a happy ending in the end. I’m sure I  will. 

• Like 3

Great to hear that Moebius is taking care of this problem but it has to be a nightmare for them. And the cost.... They're smart to keep all of the customers happy though. You don't get this kind of courtesy much these days.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TonyK said:

Great to hear that Moebius is taking care of this problem but it has to be a nightmare for them. And the cost.... They're smart to keep all of the customers happy though. You don't get this kind of courtesy much these days.

Agreed. Shouldn't have happened in the first place, but Moebius have recognized their issue and I feel they are doing everything they can to resolve it correctly.

So huge props to them. 

• Like 2

Well my replacement hood came in today, and after taking it out of the packaging it still had the gate attachment so i know it wasn't test fitted.  So good news first or bad news first? Well good news is it fits pretty much the same as the original one - the bad news is instead of being warped on the right side it's now warped on the left side LOL.  The gap from the warp is actually smaller on the left side than the original was on the right side.  So i guess I'll tape it down and throw some heat on that B and hope it levels out.  I don't think there test fitting anything, but just sending out replacement parts and i guess hope you get lucky.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

23 hours ago, Dpate said:

Well my replacement hood came in today, and after taking it out of the packaging it still had the gate attachment so i know it wasn't test fitted.  So good news first or bad news first? Well good news is it fits pretty much the same as the original one - the bad news is instead of being warped on the right side it's now warped on the left side LOL.  The gap from the warp is actually smaller on the left side than the original was on the right side.  So i guess I'll tape it down and throw some heat on that B and hope it levels out.  I don't think there test fitting anything, but just sending out replacement parts and i guess hope you get lucky.  

That's not Good at All! Just making the problem worse. If I got warped replacement parts, the whole kit would go into the trash, and Moebius would never see a penny from me, regardless of what they tooled up.

This whole situation is a prime example of Two Sayings I learned as a Mechanic.

1. "The Six P's"  Proper Planning Prevents Pi** Poor Performance.

2. "There is Never time to do it right, but there is Always time to do it over.

Moebius got here because somebody hurried things. Now, they look to be worsening the situation because they are in a hurry again. Time to slow down and get things right the first time. I don't like to see this happening. I like the subject matter Moebius tools up, but if QC is going to become a problem, I can stick to Revell, Atlantis and Round2.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stavanzer said:

That's not Good at All! Just making the problem worse. If I got warped replacement parts, the whole kit would go into the trash, and Moebius would never see a penny from me, regardless of what they tooled up.

This whole situation is a prime example of Two Sayings I learned as a Mechanic.

1. "The Six P's"  Proper Planning Prevents Pi** Poor Performance.

2. "There is Never time to do it right, but there is Always time to do it over.

Moebius got here because somebody hurried things. Now, they look to be worsening the situation because they are in a hurry again. Time to slow down and get things right the first time. I don't like to see this happening. I like the subject matter Moebius tools up, but if QC is going to become a problem, I can stick to Revell, Atlantis and Round2.

Well see that's the unspoken thing about Moebius, they've always had QC issues from Day 1. Most of it has been hushed up over the years by the "You should just be happy you have a model" crowd bolstered by the fact the company (much like Salvinos JR) censored their social media to delete negative feedback up to and including blocking folks. Pulling the "free review sample gravy train" away from online/YT folks who mentioned any QC issues and so on and so forth.

The hood Dusty got isn't from the run of the ramp truck, it's NoS parts from previous releases of the 67-72 Fords. Warped hoods have always been a problem across that entire series of kits from the time they were originally released. But some people insist Moebius is "Tamiya-like" quality and all of that...

31 minutes ago, slusher said:

You would think after so many they would have cought the problem!

Caught it how? Moebius uses a 3rd Party Chinese factory just like everyone else (save SJR) and the run is done all at once and then shipped over. Clearly no one was manning the QC station and/or knew what to look for, so now you have several thousand kits over here with some level of problems that are being discovered as they go along. 

It would be easy to go on a Anti-China tangent. But even Salvinos JR making kits in California isn't immune. They just figured out that no one who got the July KoTM (the #11 Dodge Charger with the new flathood) or who purchased it on their website and got a kit as part of the early shipments received the metal axle you need for the rear end. The #28 Tuflon LeMans kits all have a sizable tooling defect on the front fenders that no one noticed in QC until it was mentioned to them when we got our kits.

QC is an attention to detail job, and usually there are known issues with a tool that you're specifically looking to make sure aren't in defect...which can mean you're overlooking an entire other defect(s) that isn't supposed to be happening.

Edited by niteowl7710

I am not an engineer nor do I know much of anything about injection molding. But, looking at the warped hoods still attached to the tree, I wonder if more attachment points would hold the hood more in shape as it cools.

The only Moebius kit I own is the 66 4x4. It doesn't exhibit any warping that I have found yet. I LOLed when I saw they included Twin-I-Beam fender emblems instead of the correct ones for the 4wd. Attention to detail doesn't seem to be their motto.

On 7/29/2022 at 3:03 PM, TonyK said:

Agreed.  I'll keep buying their products, I'm sure.