Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Ramp Truck

On 9/23/2022 at 4:26 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

I have a question that I hope someone in the know can answer. There are two ways for doing quality control. One is to inspect 100 percent and the other is to check a some random sample to check quality. Which process is used for model production?

I know when we do new product launch (office furniture industry) we have a pre determined period of time that we have to perform 100% inspection of product going out the door. It used to be a step down process as production ramped up as long as they passed at a certain rate. But now they have to stay above a passing threshold for a certain number of consecutive weeks, and once they do the full inspection is removed. However, we are open to legal issues if there is anything wrong with our products because someone could get hurt using them if not built correctly. We do deal with the plastic industry quite a bit, and perform 100% incoming inspection on parts before they are used for production for a certain number of shipments.

I contacted Moebius on August 8th about replacement parts.  A fellow by the name of Erik Solie took my mailing address and said it's going to take some time unfortunately.  On Sept. 10th I reached out to Erik Solie once again for an update.  I was told that it is stil going to be about 5 more weeks.  So, by the time Moebius picks up their shipment from the dock, get it back to their facility, and get replacement parts packed up for shipment to all of us waiting.....I'm hoping by early or mid Novemeber.    

8 hours ago, Zippi said:

I contacted Moebius on August 8th about replacement parts.  A fellow by the name of Erik Solie took my mailing address and said it's going to take some time unfortunately.  On Sept. 10th I reached out to Erik Solie once again for an update.  I was told that it is stil going to be about 5 more weeks.  So, by the time Moebius picks up their shipment from the dock, get it back to their facility, and get replacement parts packed up for shipment to all of us waiting.....I'm hoping by early or mid Novemeber.    

or Christmas 2022.....

14 hours ago, Zippi said:

I would ask for a refund and send the kit back.  I think it’s ridiculous that a kit that costs that much and you can’t get parts for it.

On 9/27/2022 at 9:01 PM, slusher said:

I would ask for a refund and send the kit back.  I think it’s ridiculous that a kit that costs that much and you can’t get parts for it.

I hear ya Carl.  I'm in no hurry on this build so I'll just ride out the storm.

• Like 1

Man! I've been waiting for a dual wheel truck kit for a while now.  Finally one comes out, beautifully detailed, and to hear of all these issues.  Yikes!  My question is does anyone know if they have fixed the issues at this point?  I mean, if I were to order one for Christmas would I get the "new and improved" or the same kit you folks are disappointed with? Also, I have two other Moebius truck kits I have not built yet.  Has anyone found issues with the other Ford trucks?

I have to say I feel bad for Moebius. I gather they are a smallish company and between this and the complained about Chevy II issues in another thread, they must be feeling a little hurt at this point. It's really too bad. It seems their kits are detailed beyond your regular AMT, Revell etc kits. I guess we all learn from our mistakes. It's not like they asked for this trouble.  But then we spend hard earned money for these kits ( never getting any cheaper) and can't build what's inside. A total bummer for the consumer and the company. 

I would gladly buy the truck without the ramp back for a lower price.  Just saying.😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noname said:

if I were to order one for Christmas would I get the "new and improved" or the same kit you folks are disappointed with? Also, I have two other Moebius truck kits I have not built yet.  Has anyone found issues with the other Ford trucks?

1.) Doubtful that you - or anyone else - would be privy to a "new and improved" version, especially within two months. I would hope that Moebius - should they find fit to rectify the production problems - would change the part number (maybe a "-2" suffix) and maybe expand their kits' boxes' sizes as to not s-it shove 10 lbs. of product into a 5 lbs. container.

2.) Apparently, all of their 1967-1972 F-Series truck kits suffer from warped hoods (maybe other components as well). I only have the Model King edition of the 1969 F-100 short bed. I've had it since its first issue +/- 10 years ago but haven't fully examined its contents.

I have one of the 1965 Chevy II Gasser kits. Other than checking its contents, I haven't touched it -- not out of disinterest; I just haven't moved it up in my queue. Other than its roof/C-pillar goof (not that important to me, especially since it's not representative of a factory stock offering), my only minor "complaint" is its kind-of-sixties, kind-of-contemporary mix of parts: like, disc brakes and electric fans don't cut it for a c.1965 race car/ street freak. But, I can source a correct 1966 & earlier brake master cylinder from the parts box, and leave off the electric fan, and make a period-correct model out of it. 

12 hours ago, noname said:

Man! I've been waiting for a dual wheel truck kit for a while now.  Finally one comes out, beautifully detailed, and to hear of all these issues.  Yikes!  My question is does anyone know if they have fixed the issues at this point?  I mean, if I were to order one for Christmas would I get the "new and improved" or the same kit you folks are disappointed with? Also, I have two other Moebius truck kits I have not built yet.  Has anyone found issues with the other Ford trucks?

I have to say I feel bad for Moebius. I gather they are a smallish company and between this and the complained about Chevy II issues in another thread, they must be feeling a little hurt at this point. It's really too bad. It seems their kits are detailed beyond your regular AMT, Revell etc kits. I guess we all learn from our mistakes. It's not like they asked for this trouble.  But then we spend hard earned money for these kits ( never getting any cheaper) and can't build what's inside. A total bummer for the consumer and the company. 

I would gladly buy the truck without the ramp back for a lower price.  Just saying.😁

You're best bet to get a good one would be to find an open one on ebay so you can see the parts or find a seller who is willing to open the kit and inspect it before sending it out.

After being a bit late to this chain, I pulled out my kit, and there is no major warpage in mine, but I did notice that a couple of the tie-down rings in the ramp were short shot (see pic), but other than that, the it looks great. These couple ring being gone are not a major issue to be, as I feel like I can drill a small hole there ae if the ring had been pulled lose or something. Not sure it would make since is asking for a new ramp bed just for these. 

SAM_2256.JPG

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark
missing picture

So to those with the warped ramp parts, it can still be built. Mine was warped about 1/4” from one corner to the other. I clamped the bottom to a 2x4 and assembled one piece at a time while keeping it clamped the whole time making sure the glue was dry before gluing the next piece. It now lays perfectly flat and is very solid. The hood and floor pan I will have to try the hot water trick and clamp down while cooling.  

12A07765-E0E3-4DB6-8986-F166FF0640CE.jpeg

B236F6AE-D431-4603-9020-FAAC74828A04.jpeg

30E9C275-E072-4623-ADF0-00F691C30E72.jpeg

E7EE366B-A9D5-46A6-A542-C073377210EC.jpeg

FC62095A-51A7-4309-80FF-0F830356D151.jpeg

• Like 3