Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1/25 Corvette 1967 - can it be built stock?

Can this kit be built as stock https://www.scalemates.com/kits/mpc-6357-1967-corvette-sting-ray--1150165

I dont really care for the hood/blower, giant rear wheels, etc. Does it come with the parts to build it completely stock?

it looks like a prior version from 1967 is stock, so i wasnt sure if this kit includes all those parts.

Edited by youpey

I don't believe it does. Most if not all of the reissues of that kit were "street machine" only, I believe. 

It could be converted back to stock, but why bother? It's not that good a kit anymore anyway, what with the Revell kit now available. I encourage you to keep looking for one of those. B)

6 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I don't believe it does. Most if not all of the reissues of that kit were "street machine" only, I believe. 

It could be converted back to stock, but why bother? It's not that good a kit anymore anyway, what with the Revell kit now available. I encourage you to keep looking for one of those. B)

OK thanks. by the way, i was able to find a revell 67 coupe today, but i just like to build different versions of kits. However, since it can't be built stock, i dont want to do it. i really only like to build cars that look stock. 

thanks

None of the reissues can be built stock out of the box, only the annual.  The reissues all have the 1964 kit chassis (lacks the working springs), chassis has the molded-in exhaust detail removed, engine lacks stock intake and exhaust, no stock wheels or tires are included.  The optional (but correct stock) side exhaust parts were deleted also.

That said, the reissues (especially the first one, the red "Streaker Vette") are cool in their own right.  The molded in black "Night Stalker" (the first one, there were two) was a staple item on K-Mart store shelves for a few years.

On 5/11/2021 at 8:19 PM, Snake45 said:

I thought there were issues with poor vent window fit on the convertible version of the 1/25 Revell kit?

13 hours ago, Motor City said:

I thought there were issues with poor vent window fit on the convertible version of the 1/25 Revell kit?

If there are (and I don't recall them), they would be the least of that kit's problems. But we're talking about coupes here, and the Revell '67 Vette coupe is fine. 

my corvette collection is growing. i ordered the 64 sebring corvette from accurate miniatures. i feel i got a decent deal on it. I also decided to buy this 67 mpc with the big blower. one final kit is the revell 67 coupe. 

with this one, i am going to build it as a dragster. i havent ever done a dragster and i think it will be interesting. 

i started to work on my 63 1/16 mpc, and unfortunately i am finding quite a lot of warping. its not significant warping, thankfully, just a lot of pieces have a little warping. im trying to reshape by taping it in place, how it will go, but in the past when i did that, it never helped. i did read recently that using legos to hold in place with a bit of heat will help, so i might try that. the 1/16 was too expensive for me not to build. 

The Revell 67 Coupe is nice.
I don't think the MPC Corvette C2's are that bad, the chassis is a lot better and more detailed than what's in the AMT 63 kits and will most likely work just fine under it if you want to do a more detailed 63 Corvette.

Re the MPC '67;

I have one on the bench right now as a parts donor for a '66 annual restoration.

If you pick up one of the later issues be prepared for a few quality-related glitches; flash, sink marks, mold misalignment, chrome that is unevenly applied in some places or flakes off in other areas.  Added bonus if you get one with the smoke-tinted windows.  

No, I'm not saying it's a "lousy kit, don't buy it",  just putting out a cautionary note to those who may not be too familiar with this kit as it hasn't been on the shelves for quite a long time.  It's from a time when MPC was cranking these oldies out for the Kmarts and Walmarts and quality suffered a bit.

2 minutes ago, pack rat said:

If you pick up one of the later issues be prepared for a few quality-related glitches; flash, sink marks, mold misalignment, chrome that is unevenly applied in some places or flakes off in other areas.  Added bonus if you get one with the smoke-tinted windows.  

Also, the door lines are now so washed out/shallow they're almost invisible. They'll have to be rescribed.