Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford 300 cid 6 cylinder engine

4 minutes ago, espo said:

I think Kitchen Resin offered one. Check the Resin section for a list of many suppliers. 

Kitchen Table Resins has been OOB for a while now, so a N.O.S. engine would likely need to be sourced on eBay or similar.

https://public.fotki.com/KenK/kitchen_table_resin_kits/ford-big-six-240300/

Edited by Casey

3 minutes ago, espo said:

Thanks. I haven't bought anything from him in a long time but remember that he offered real good products. 

I don't think is was all that long ago that Ken shut things down, but I didn't want to get the O.P.'s hopes up.

I worked in a full line Ford car and truck dealer in the '60's.  There was no physical exterior difference between the 240 CID and 300 CID engines.  300 CID engine was exclsuive to trucks and went in everything from half ton pickups to medium duty trucks.  Basically, the 240 is just a destroked 300.  They were noted for their torque at lower RPMs, which is why it was a staple of the Ford truck lineup until 1996.  The 240 entered production way back in 1963, and emission controls did away with it in 1977.  One of the technicians at the dealership had a full sized 1960 Ford 2 dr ranch wagon that he'd swapped out the 240 and replaced it was a 300 around 1967.  He also installed 3 Weber sidedraft carbs and a 4 speed from an F250, and built his own header setup.  The rear axle gear was changed to  4.88: 1 ratio, and in the city where we worked, you couldn't touch it in stoplight to stoplight drag races.

Thanks guys for the information.  I'll check these out.  I'm planning to reproduce in 1/25 scale my 1976 Ford short w.b. E150 van.  It had a 300-6, three speed manual trans.  I used it as a personal vehicel, shop truck for my business and towed a drag race car around for years.  Greta truck, the 300 was a great engine.  Good torques, decent on gas and easy to work on in that chassis.  I appreciate the help.  Ron

Ron, just consider how much of that engine you will be able to see in a van, and how much cost / detail to go to...

I’ve done engines in Dodge vans and you can see nothing more than the pan, transmission and exhaust manifold. I did put a slant six in one, but used an old glue bomb engine and didn’t put parts on the top end where it wouldn’t be seen.. 

Tom,  I have wondered about this myself.  But, I'll try to be as authentic as I can.  I don't think the hood opens in the Econoline kit, so I may cut it open.  I'll know more when I get the kit. Thanks for the advice.  Ron

34 minutes ago, 1948Ron said:

Tom,  I have wondered about this myself.  But, I'll try to be as authentic as I can.  I don't think the hood opens in the Econoline kit, so I may cut it open.  I'll know more when I get the kit. Thanks for the advice.  Ron

I'm pretty certain the hood does open on the AMT Ford vans.