Model Cars Magazine Forum

Optivisor

My recommendation is to try to save some money and buy the real  Optivisor.  I owned one for about 30 years and it works REALLY well. I have tried other headband magnifiers (that friends or club members own) and I didn't like any of their inexpensive ones.

I gave an Opti-visor a test trial but returned it to Amazon.  I know many people use them and love them, I just prefer my well used Tamiya flip-up magnifying visor.  Personal preference I guess. I think the Tamiya's are now more expensive than the Optivisors but come with 3 lenses so that helps a bit.

Can't go wrong with either I guess.

21 minutes ago, Deuces ll said:

I have a couple pairs of cheap drug store +1.25 readers laying around.... I should try those first before making an investment on the optivisor....

True, headband magnifiers are just another type of eyeglasses. But +1.25 is a bit weak. They are usually stronger.  Probably more like +2.50 or more.  Yes, you will likely have to get your eyes closer to the model to get it in focus, but that is how the headband magnifiers work.

This right here. It won't break your wallet, it flips up overall, the lens can flip up independent of the whole head piece, you don't lose your peripheral vision, it has a bright LED light. Perhaps most importantly it's made by an optical company and all of the lens sets are optically cut. A lot of the cheap fly by night versions are all wavy and distorted, and the LED light isn't removable like it is on the real one. 

https://www.amazon.com/Carson-MagniVisor-Head-Worn-Magnifier-CP-60/dp/B007CDJKM2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?adgrpid=56119624276&dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgeTZ_tPP8AIVCuXICh3LdQrgEAAYASAAEgIkpfD_BwE&hvadid=274897265968&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9006048&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=5071021363992601560&hvtargid=kwd-309915948435&hydadcr=12127_9563122&keywords=carson+optical+pro+series+magnivisor&qid=1621218089&sr=8-1

Edited by niteowl7710

On 5/16/2021 at 9:25 PM, niteowl7710 said:

This right here. It won't break your wallet, it flips up overall, the lens can flip up independent of the whole head piece, you don't lose your peripheral vision, it has a bright LED light. Perhaps most importantly it's made by an optical company and all of the lens sets are optically cut. A lot of the cheap fly by night versions are all wavy and distorted, and the LED light isn't removable like it is on the real one. 

https://www.amazon.com/Carson-MagniVisor-Head-Worn-Magnifier-CP-60/dp/B007CDJKM2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?adgrpid=56119624276&dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgeTZ_tPP8AIVCuXICh3LdQrgEAAYASAAEgIkpfD_BwE&hvadid=274897265968&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9006048&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=5071021363992601560&hvtargid=kwd-309915948435&hydadcr=12127_9563122&keywords=carson+optical+pro+series+magnivisor&qid=1621218089&sr=8-1

That one looks like it would be comfortable..

I've been using an Optivisor for years now. At first I only needed it for ultradetail work, but as the years have passed, I now need it for virtually all my modeling. 

I can relate to those of you who said you tried one and didn't like it. I didn't either at first. There is a definite learning curve involved as your eyes and brain have to get used to a new way of processing visual information. It can be quite disorienting. But after a while it becomes quite natural. I couldn't keep modeling without one. 

• Like 1