Model Cars Magazine Forum

5 hours ago, Jim B said:

Great looking Pershing.  Would this be WWII or Korean era?

Since I didn't really apply the decals/unit markings in a historically correct manner, it could be debatable, but I believe this particular unit is meant to represent a post-WWII one.

4 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Looks good Benton. I really have an appreciation for these tanks after reading Adam Makos' book , Spearhead.  Excellent read and as I found out a very needed tank during WWII. 

Thanks for the heads-up on Spearhead.  I just looked it up & requested it from my local library. Here's a Yarnhub video about the battler.

The Cologne Tank Duel - YouTube

Edited by Jim B

2 hours ago, Jim B said:

Thanks for the heads-up on Spearhead.  I just looked it up & requested it from my local library. Here's a Yarnhub video about the battler.

The Cologne Tank Duel - YouTube

Thanks James. I've seen that one a couple of times. Theres footage with a black car getting fired upon with a lady in it and is a key part of the story. I'll see if I can find that. Very VERY good book.....but then again....pretty much anything from Adam Makos is an automatic winner.

Edited by mustang1989

That looks great!  Nothing wrong with out of the box, the building and painting are both very clean.

HobbyBoss also makes an M-26 kit, but they went a little further and also did the upgunned T-26E4 prototypes, Pilot #1 and #2.  Pilot #1 is a really interesting tank.  It was armed with a longer and more powerful 90mm gun, which required adding a recoil recuperator to the turret roof and a big counterweight behind the turret.  It also had an extra chunk of frontal armor, which was cut from the hull of a Panther tank.

t26e4.jpg

4 hours ago, Mike999 said:

That looks great!  Nothing wrong with out of the box, the building and painting are both very clean.

HobbyBoss also makes an M-26 kit, but they went a little further and also did the upgunned T-26E4 prototypes, Pilot #1 and #2.  Pilot #1 is a really interesting tank.  It was armed with a longer and more powerful 90mm gun, which required adding a recoil recuperator to the turret roof and a big counterweight behind the turret.  It also had an extra chunk of frontal armor, which was cut from the hull of a Panther tank.

t26e4.jpg

Thanks! Is the HobbyBoss Pilot #1 kit still in production? (The packaging looks kind of old.) FYI: Your comment piqued my interest so I browsed through the reference library. There's an illustration on pg. 26 of the Osprey M26/M46 book (author: Zaloga) that's very similar to the HobbyBoss Pilot #1 box art. There's also a photo of Pilot #2 on pg. 22 of the Squadron Pershing/Patton In Action book (#40). Thanks again! 

16 minutes ago, plasticprime said:

Thanks! Is the HobbyBoss Pilot #1 kit still in production? (The packaging looks kind of old.)... 

LOL!  That "looks kind of old" is just typical HobbyBoss.  All of their box artwork looks it was done circa 1974, by a kindergarten class with very limited artistic skills.  

I don't know if the kit is still in production, but a quick search shows the T-26E4 kits are easily available.  These kits don't have any interior detail, but they did have a nice surprise:  a complete engine and transmission under the rear deck, that only needs some wiring and piping.  And the rear engine grilles are all separate parts.

4 hours ago, Mike999 said:

LOL!  That "looks kind of old" is just typical HobbyBoss.  All of their box artwork looks it was done circa 1974, by a kindergarten class with very limited artistic skills.  

I don't know if the kit is still in production, but a quick search shows the T-26E4 kits are easily available.  These kits don't have any interior detail, but they did have a nice surprise:  a complete engine and transmission under the rear deck, that only needs some wiring and piping.  And the rear engine grilles are all separate parts.

Thank you!