Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1968 Chevelle SS396 Day 2 Street/Strip.


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

BMF and foiling look great Craig.   Interesting that you will clear after  the foil.  Seems that some do, some don't. 

Thanks Mike! I usually do, I'm of the mindset that it helps seal the foil in and keeps it in place when handling, especially around the driprails on the roof. A lot of the time I will spray on a couple of layers of clear, foil and decal, then add more clear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

BMF and foiling look great Craig.   Interesting that you will clear after  the foil.  Seems that some do, some don't. 

I too foil decal then clear as soon as possible. Foil does not like been handled very much. Especially if it is old and the adhesive is weakening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been using craft paint lately and I have read (and it makes sense) that the blade may cut down to the primer. I guess clearing then foiling, then clearing again would be a good idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

I have been using craft paint lately and I have read (and it makes sense) that the blade may cut down to the primer.

I have been guilty of doing just that a number of times, no matter what kind of paint I am using. I tend get a little heavy with the blade and cut a little deeper than need be all too often. Luckily it's pretty easy to touch-up when that happens, in fact there's a few spots on this one where I did just that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a pretty nice day today in Mid-Michigan, so I got the clear sprayed on just before lunch. I used Tamiya TS-13 straight from the can. I started with a couple of lighter coats, then sprayed on a medium coat. I was unsure if I wanted another coat, so I checked on it after lunch and went ahead and put on a medium-heavy final coat. Now I let it set for a few days and think about whether or not I want to wet-sand before polishing and waxing.

DSCN7083.JPG

DSCN7084.JPG

DSCN7086.JPG

DSCN7088.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking good, loving that color combination! Im my case i always like to hit it with micro mesh polishing kit after ts13, that clear is amazing, almost unreal for being a rattle can

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As others have said, love the color!  Between the color, the stripes and the foiling the combination really sets off the wonderful lines of the car. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I took a minute on Wednesday to spray some TS-71 Tamiya Smoke on to the inside of the rear window. I made a pair of mufflers yesterday, one of these days I'll get myself some casting products and cast a bunch so I don't have to make some every time I want to use different mufflers. I'm also slowly working on the rest of the exhaust using styrene tubing. I got the interior done for the most part as well. I just found a tach to put on the steering column and a gauge cluster to put on the console behind the shifter, so I need to strip the chrome, prime them, and then paint them before adding the decals. I'm really trying to be patient on this one, and so far it's paying off. I just hope I can keep it up and not rush anything and end up ruining it, lol.

IMG_20210528_164549.jpg

DSCN7094.JPG

DSCN7095.JPG

DSCN7096.JPG

DSCN7098.JPG

DSCN7099.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

The smoke on the window looks great Craig. I have sprayed it on 3 different models none with very good results. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

The smoke needs to go on in light coats. It takes a bit to add up and start looking like actual tint. I was the same way initially until I saw some how-to's on it. I went really thick and it looked like garbage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

The smoke needs to go on in light coats. It takes a bit to add up and start looking like actual tint. I was the same way initially until I saw some how-to's on it. I went really thick and it looked like garbage. 

Heck, I don't even think I could get a first light coat to look right. I have it to airbrush also but I haven't tried it.  I just had 2 windows retinted on our Expedition and got some actual tint film from the guy to try out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The interior is now finished with the addition of the column mounted tach and gauge cluster mounted behind the shifter. I put together a couple of boxes from a set that I got on ebay, but I'm not sure if I'm going to leave them in the interior or not. I also painted and installed the 100% custom exhaust system. It was a bit of a struggle bending the styrene tubing to go around the rear axle. I had the inlets and outlets reversed initially, but when I got to gluing everything in, I could only get it all to line up this way. It looks a little off, but still not too bad.

DSCN7126.JPG

DSCN7129.JPG

DSCN7132.JPG

DSCN7121.JPG

DSCN7123.JPG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...