Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model factory hiro Porsche 935/78

2 hours ago, Brudda said:

Trying to fit the doors. A lot of drilling , sanding, bending and boiling water to reshape the resin parts. Have not even looked at the engine and frame yet. Going nuts already. C1DAF006-B9A7-49A1-82D8-0630DA1C334C.thumb.jpeg.f9c19fb4edee312adbba118afe557fb4.jpeg

24414DFA-EE0F-4321-9579-41A8E32C45A8.jpeg

E317D547-25D8-438F-BE8A-3408FB80F60D.jpeg

BE95DABF-EFFD-4A87-950B-1DA7B4E3072F.jpeg

No time to go nuts. But it is a Porsche! Lol

5 hours ago, Chris Smith said:

No time to go nuts. But it is a Porsche! Lol

Hello Chris. Trying to fit the doors. Was going to do the engine first but the body was calling my name. I might do the center body section ( interior) white. With a black roll  cage. Body gulf blue with orange stripes. Fun doing a “what if car” . Do not have to follow any paint or build rules. Other door is being worked on. just might have to paint this first. DFE52F26-3C3E-4EBA-86F7-113153FE3435.thumb.jpeg.7548fc172958c71c9b6bb14b5f7d1c22.jpeg

5A3C9CF2-52BA-4547-BAC3-3CF0B4DC74AD.jpeg

A3D03D97-E009-4E9A-A19A-46249859E011.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 8:21 AM, Bainford said:

Looking good. Those wheels are impressive. Interesting construction methods around the door hinges, presumably faithful to the 1:1. I don't envy anything involving correcting the shape of the resin body parts.

Thank you Bainford. Molding in the louvers. 

3F164D30-D1C5-44DD-BC5B-47F39EB4DB4C.jpeg

05DCD847-99E4-4EAE-9716-7F646CC38886.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Well back on the Porsche. Went to the ipms nationals. Now back to play. Bought more masking tape and all of the stuff I needed to complete the Porsche at the vendors tables at the nationals. Since Chris is way ahead of us, I have a lot of work to do. Here we go. Fitting the doors and molding in the vents. 

FA67E6BF-DE59-487F-B880-47424930C9BF.jpeg

626D3F94-A703-4355-9E3B-F552915B7AA7.jpeg

96AD8E32-FF46-47E7-BA80-240697BE564E.jpeg

10 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

I love watching these MFH kits going together.  I can appreciate how much work you are doing just to get it to the point where most plastic kits start out at, regarding fit and finish.

Yes Nacho Z , these kits are very hard. People think just because it’s expensive it should just fall together. Well not a factory hiro kit. Had a great modeler friend try a mfh 1/24 kit and said he would never do another. Not for everyone. One thing for me, the build does wear on you. I need a break every once in a while. I really love 1/25-1/24 the best. My friend Mark turned me to the dark side of the force with these kits. But the rewards are great. I was going to take a long break from them but I took my MFH cobra to the IPMS nationals in Vegas and took best Shelby. So it started up my mojo again.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Brudda said:

Yes Nacho Z , these kits are very hard. People think just because it’s expensive it should just fall together. Well not a factory hiro kit. Had a great modeler friend try a mfh 1/24 kit and said he would never do another. Not for everyone. One thing for me, the build does wear on you. I need a break every once in a while. I really love 1/25-1/24 the best. My friend Mark turned me to the dark side of the force with these kits. But the rewards are great. I was going to take a long break from them but I took my MFH cobra to the IPMS nationals in Vegas and took best Shelby. So it started up my mojo again.

I completely understand.  I tend to build one competition model and then do a couple of Box Stock builds.  I will even do one of those Metal Earth type of metal models.  Quick and easy with a sense of accomplishment.  I have a MFH 1:12 Gurney Westlake Eagle in my stash.  It will get built.  Like you, I spent a few days inventorying everything.  I will admit I am a little nervous about building it…lol.

10 minutes ago, Nacho Z said:

I completely understand.  I tend to build one competition model and then do a couple of Box Stock builds.  I will even do one of those Metal Earth type of metal models.  Quick and easy with a sense of accomplishment.  I have a MFH 1:12 Gurney Westlake Eagle in my stash.  It will get built.  Like you, I spent a few days inventorying everything.  I will admit I am a little nervous about building it…lol.

The Gurney kit is really cool. I was offered a good sum of money for it. I sold it and bought the mfh cobra kit. It was a toss up between the cobra and the gurney kit. Since these are so much money I had to decide. Bought the cobra and really liked the build. I  started the 917/30 but put it away for the cobra build. Now the 935 is the build I am doing.  Sometimes life brings unexpected turns and my modeling is no different. The gurney kit it looks like a challenge, so I know how you feel. Chris Smith just jumps into the build and they turn out great. That’s what I like about him….not intimidated on a mfh  kit. I look at a mfh kit and sometimes  I break out in a sweat. I hope you build the gurney kit. Such a beautiful car. I have to really like/love the car on a mfh kit as it’s a labor of love. Thank you for the interest.

1 hour ago, Brudda said:

The Gurney kit is really cool. I was offered a good sum of money for it. I sold it and bought the mfh cobra kit. It was a toss up between the cobra and the gurney kit. Since these are so much money I had to decide. Bought the cobra and really liked the build. I  started the 917/30 but put it away for the cobra build. Now the 935 is the build I am doing.  Sometimes life brings unexpected turns and my modeling is no different. The gurney kit it looks like a challenge, so I know how you feel. Chris Smith just jumps into the build and they turn out great. That’s what I like about him….not intimidated on a mfh  kit. I look at a mfh kit and sometimes  I break out in a sweat. I hope you build the gurney kit. Such a beautiful car. I have to really like/love the car on a mfh kit as it’s a labor of love. Thank you for the interest.

Both feet buddy! But seriously, I do break out into sweat every now and then...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well trying to get my mojo back. Seem to need a rest from kit building. As soon as I was back from Vegas, I just lost interest. I build guns, so I build some and am returning to the Porsche. Chris is really going strong on his. All the guys are building the engine and other stuff first. But I am doing the body first. So far it’s pretty straight forward.  Vents were a pain in the rear end. They are like paper , it’s so thin. Should have done them in brass. A lot of parts to paint. Will have to paint before winter sets in. 

52C5C22D-421B-459F-841F-E36EAC4C378A.jpeg

9BEB6B1B-2BCD-42A3-9957-3AE57EA54867.jpeg

51A6CBE3-CF40-480C-A055-3A32E29FE950.jpeg

312EFD1F-78A6-46BE-ABF6-9995B7E63E80.jpeg

F58C0D3D-652F-41A3-8360-52C56F912AA5.jpeg

On 10/4/2021 at 5:26 PM, Chris Smith said:

Bruce! Buddy! glad to see you at it again… I’m so looking forward to see you moving forward on this, should be fun!!

Hey Chris!!! Trying to build again. Your build is beautiful and is giving me my mojo back.