Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wimbledon White for 1966 cobra stripes

I know that there is controversy over Shelby colors. I an building a 1966 427 Cobra with base Guardsman Blue and Wimbledon White stripes. Looking up the official Ford colors, the Wimbledon White is almost an ivory as it was used on the Mustang. I find it very hard to judge a shade of white when close to a dark blue background. Would you go with the ivory shade or a more basic white? Thanks, John

i have always thought Wimbledon white was not a true white. it was a very, very pale ivory. 

i found this picture of newer cars with a true white and a Wimbledon white. the Wimbledon white looks really close to me, even though its 40 years newer. The tamiya TS-7 Racing White is very close to it. 

191559d1501270568-wimbledon-white-vs-oxf

Edited by youpey

3 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Duplicolor also has a color called performance white that's about half way between Wimbledon white and true white.

judging from the cap color, i would think the wimbledon white is too ivory in the picture. it is just slightly ivory up close.  of course you can't always trust the cap color

1 hour ago, youpey said:

judging from the cap color, i would think the wimbledon white is too ivory in the picture. it is just slightly ivory up close.  of course you can't always trust the cap color

It's a bit lighter than the lid in my experience. 

Wimbledon is indeed a creamy/ivory white. On some blues it will actually take on a "pink" tint. Ask how one guy building a Cobra replica found out! He didn't do the suggested (by several people) test spray and the pearl blue he used had some purple, etc. in it and the Wimbledon looked "pinkish" on it. And no, it wasn't me.