Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Ford Model A Roadster

mrmike

The Build

This is my new build, Revell's '29 Ford Model A Roadster and it features a McNally, Boston PI story called My Missing Trophy.  The model will be painted with Tamiya Metallic Red body with Tamiya Pure Red wheels and frame, whitewall tires with steelies and hub caps with trim rings.

The Story

My Missing Trophy.  The Back Bay Burger Joint has a weekly car show and McNally likes to attend when he can.  Everyone who attends gets a ballot to pick the best in show award and those who bring a car in gets a ticket for the raffle which consists of 2 travel coffee mugs with the Back Bay Burger Joint logo or 3 free burger cards.  The winner for that Saturday night was Paul Resnick and his '29 Ford Model A Roadster and he places his trophy on the floor of his hot rod and he goes inside the restaurant to use the restroom.  When he comes out, he finds that his trophy was stolen.  On Monday morning, he hires McNally, Boston PI to find his trophy.

Mcnally will return...

'2901.JPG

'2902.JPG

'2903.JPG

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

On that kit.. look at where the interior sides key into the sides of the chassis... they are visible from below on the finished model. You may want to do something there!

I will thank you for that tip, I just picked up a few of these myself

8 hours ago, Sledsel said:

I will thank you for that tip, I just picked up a few of these myself

5B2A85D9-7791-416C-8C28-071FD805A08D.jpeg.3231f998f6020a2d09ed61642939b8f9.jpeg

Since there is interest.. the offending nubs are visible next to the chassis rail on either side.. maybe a thin piece of Evergreen strip over them or fill in the slots.

I am sure Mike is going to do an excellent buildup of the kit in this thread. 

But for others of you who may be visiting this kit for the first time, here's a link to an on-line buildup I did of the original version of the kit released about six years ago.  The only difference is that the new release adds a second wheel choice, new decals, and the small block Chevy in place of the of the nailhead Buick shown here.  

In addition to Tom's suggestions above (which I handled by painting the underbody floor flat black and then making sure to touch up the exposed interior wall tabs with flat black during final assembly), the single thing I see in most buildups of this kit that begs for further detail is to paint the parts of the front split wishbone radius rods, rear traction bars, and front shock mounts which on real cars attach to the frame and rear axle.  These parts are molded in chrome in the kit.  The model at the link shows this upgrade on the front shock absorber mounts and the frame mounted portion of the split front wishbones,,,,but omits this step on the portion of the rear traction bars that mounts to the axle (ooopppppsss!  :)). 

Good luck Mike with your build.  Particularly interested in seeing the finished paint scheme!  Cool......TIM 

On 5/16/2021 at 6:00 PM, Tom Geiger said:

On that kit.. look at where the interior sides key into the sides of the chassis... they are visible from below on the finished model. You may want to do something there!

Interesting, Somehow I missed that feedback on any review I have seen on this kit. I have like 5 but yet to build one 

Thanks guys and special thanks to Tim Boyd for his excellent photos and encouragement!  I will look through them again and again!  This is the second time that something is missing from the box.  I am missing the metal exhaust tips from my kit!  The first time this happened was with the Revell '70 Hemi 'Cuda kit.  I ended up with two packets of the same sprues and I requested the missing parts just before Revell got bought out.  I got everything, but the correct hood (I got another shaker hood and I wanted the dual scoop hood!  Doesn't anybody pay attention to what they are doing anymore?) and I got that from a fellow in my model club.  Now, I am missing the exhaust tips from this Model A kit and I stole a pair from one of my '06 Mustang kits.  Due to the pandemic, it would take about 6-8 weeks to get replacement parts.  Is it me or is Revell screwing up big time? 

I have had good luck making exhaust tips from aluminum tubing. The tubing is soft enough that the ends can be flared as neded using a construction type nail. They can also be polished for a nice shinny finish. I use tubing that has an inside diameter that just slips over what ever exhaust material you're using.  Look forward to following your build and the adventures of Det. McNally. 

Thanks David!  I have made exhaust tips, but I have never flared them.  I have cut them straight and angled using eyeball engineering.  I do want to try my hand at flaring exhaust tips.

9 hours ago, mrmike said:

Now, I am missing the exhaust tips from this Model A kit and I stole a pair from one of my '06 Mustang kits.  Due to the pandemic, it would take about 6-8 weeks to get replacement parts.  Is it me or is Revell screwing up big time? 

Hi Mike...glad you found the info useful...

As for the exhaust tips - really interesting point you make here. 

Turns out that metal exhaust tips were part of designerJohn Mueller's original kit proposal (I've seen his parts layout blueprint that called them out), but between the original proposal and final production of the kit, the metal tips were dropped.  Instead, the exhaust tips are plated styrene; they're part of the small chrome tree with the front axle and the two sets of wishbone radius rods.  They are very small, molded with exhaust tips opened, and very easy to overlook on the parts tree.  I just checked my second release kit version, and they're there.  

Hope that helps.....Best....TIM 

Tim, I'm glad you had checked!  I just found them on the parts sprue you had mentioned.  The exhaust tips have in the past been made with metal and I presumed they were metal again.  I have spent the last half hour adding Tamiya Black Panel Liner to the chrome parts under a bright light and I am going blind.  Time to go and make supper for the wife and I and the dog.  Thanks again Tim!  I hope to do you proud with this Model A!  

The Story

On a rainy Monday morning, McNally had stopped at a convenience store for a newspaper and a couple of chicken breasts to marinate for supper.  At home, he marinates the chicken with Italian dressing and some spices and places the container in the fridge.  The doorbell rings and he answers the door to Paul Resnick who wants to hire him to find his stolen trophy.  It's a very inexpensive trophy, why not buy another one and be happy with that?

Paul wants the original trophy found and returned to him as soon as possible so he can show it off to others who view his car.  McNally will search for the missing trophy for Paul Resnick at his usual rate of $200 a day.

The Build

Paint was flying this afternoon.  The body and floor bottom got a couple coats of Tamiya TS-18 Metallic Red and the frame and rear axle got a couple coats of Tamiya TS-85 Pure Red.  The small block Chevy engine got a couple coats of Model Master Huggar Orange which is close to Chevy Engine Red.

McNally will return...

'2904.JPG

'2905.JPG

'2906.JPG

The Story

McNally drives down to the Back Bay Burger Joint and he talks to Carl Sandowsky, the owner and he asks about surveillance cameras in the parking lot.  Carl can't afford a complete package and he makes do with a couple of cameras in the store and one for the drive-thru.  He shows the footage from Saturday night and McNally sees Paul's Model A on the edge of the screen and then a box truck stops to place an order and he blocks the view of Paul's Model A.  The truck moves on and he sees Paul coming back to the Model A, gets in and he drives out of the parking lot.  If the trophy was stolen, Paul didn't notice that it was missing.

The Build 

I added the whitewall decals to the tires and I had a few issues with them.  On one of the front tires, the decal folded under itself and I couldn't get it unfolded.  I left it and I will fill in the blank spot with my white Jelly Roll pen.  The rear axle is complete and I dulled the chrome plating with some Model Master Acryl Flat Clear.  The small block Chevy is ready for ignition wiring.  I remembered having a PE ignition coil and since this small block Chevy doesn't have one in the kit, this one will do nicely!

McNally will return...

'2907.JPG

'2908.JPG

'2909.JPG

On 5/23/2021 at 8:27 PM, mrmike said:

Thanks Carl!  I think I am going to paint the interior seat red with a white seating surface to match the white firewall I have planned.  Should look good!

Should look really sharp..

Thanks Carl and Andrew!  Tim Boyd has given me the urge to try new things over the years.  His posting of his build pictures has given me a few new ideas and some of them where just the beginning of other ideas on my own.  I once built a '71 Charger R/T using some of his ideas from an article written in Scale Auto magazine.  I built mine using the same color as his, but I added a Ross Gibson 426 Hemi engine to mine.

Thanks Bob!

I am not sure that the PE ignition coil will work for me.  The coil does not have a hole in the center for a wire and drilling a hole seems to be a waste of time since my drill bit wanders off the coil, so I may make a coil from styrene which is much easier to work with. 

Thanks for the info Tom!  I went ahead and used a piece of styrene rod, drilled a hole in it and painted it up.

The Story

McNally stops at the apartment of Danny Chennelle to talk with him about Saturday night.  College grad Danny didn't see much since he was expediting orders all night.  McNally goes to see Mary Wisdowska at lunch at the High School and she spend most of her time taking orders and filling drinks.  She recalls the box truck that was driven by old Mr. Cleener who was accompanied by his dog, Rexell.  Mr. Cleener is a regular custoomer and she didn't pay much attention to the car show in the parking lot.

McNally thanks Mary for her time and he leaves the cafetria.  He is stopped by the Police Resource Officer and he is questioned and arrested for not following the rules of the high school.  He is taken to jail charged with Not signing In at the Office and Harassing the Students and allowed his one phone call...to attorney Charlotte Rothmann aka Charlie and she is on her way to bail out the Boston PI.

The Build

The supercharged small block Chevy is completed.  The wheels and tires are almost done with the exception of the hub caps.  I didn't like the paint job on the frame and after sitting in a container of 91% alcohol for almost a week, I sanded some of the paint off.  If I left the frame in the alcohol for another week, I may have gotten more paint off.

Mcnally will return...

'2913.JPG

'2914.JPG

'2915.JPG

Edited by mrmike