Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Southlandz Model Car Swap Meet & Contest Nov. 13 Largo, FL


RSchnell
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 5 months later...

Here are some photos I took of the show. Brought home a few kits and met some new people. Made for a pleasant Saturday! My only complaints is it was way to dark in the room(had to shoot at 1/20-1/40 and high ISO to get decent shots without a flash) and could REALLY benefit from a larger venue. It was hard to navigate the aisles during peak crowd due to the narrowness of the aisles.

 

_DSC7419.jpg

_DSC7429.jpg

_DSC7433.jpg

_DSC7536.jpg

Edited by RSchnell
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey, the Fiat Mefistofele and the Karmann Ghia are mine! I took home best large scale and best engine for the Fiat. It was an awesome show and I had a fantastic time talking to the other modelers and checking out some really great builds... that VW camper combo was insane. I blew waaay too much money at the swap meet and came home with some great ideas and great kits. Agreed that the venue is a bit tight. More vendor tables is a good thing, but it was tough navigating the crowds at times.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jaymcminn said:

Hey, the Fiat Mefistofele and the Karmann Ghia are mine! I took home best large scale and best engine for the Fiat. It was an awesome show and I had a fantastic time talking to the other modelers and checking out some really great builds... that VW camper combo was insane. I blew waaay too much money at the swap meet and came home with some great ideas and great kits. Agreed that the venue is a bit tight. More vendor tables is a good thing, but it was tough navigating the crowds at times.

I was definitely drooling over both of your builds! I've been debating on grabbing one of those Fiat kits and seeing yours confirmed I need to. Nice work and a well deserved win! I too spent too much in the swap, but that's part of the fun. Even my two teenage sons who aren't car builders, bought a couple kits each and noticed how friendly the car guys are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are some more pictures from the show.  It was a long day for many entrants (up to 11 hours) as the awards were delayed beyond what most would consider reasonable and I left at 6:30 before the “results” for the four hour drive back home.  Congrats to the winners and sticking out the long wait for the awards.

8A82713A-63FD-48AC-B617-792DFE83DF79.jpeg

546C9229-E835-449F-84FB-14137E324815.jpeg

E6660A5E-8CFC-4102-BA31-72C44DF1D7FB.jpeg

5BB12BF8-7678-4478-AE6C-5B041DEFE190.jpeg

4DCD946D-BA34-413E-8092-A213B79DA839.jpeg

661C51B1-190E-4A56-9034-F09F550384BC.jpeg

B9289158-EDC1-4B1F-B5FD-96D7BED25E23.jpeg

8140E7B1-3BEF-46C7-A78E-0AD00A369DA6.jpeg

57F1ABA0-84FC-48BD-BEA6-84DF8DC98541.jpeg

A9E8E6A7-4DD4-4109-A15D-C8AB7F738CC7.jpeg

4DDCB8F7-4E67-4A87-B6DB-888F973ECB13.jpeg

B659B7C0-7BD8-4115-8340-1A4B30B49445.jpeg

8F3812C7-1C36-408A-BA49-44388B1B6E09.jpeg

2AD16040-7EBE-4BCB-B6AD-73680E58E463.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

Here are some more pictures from the show.  It was a long day for many entrants (up to 11 hours) as the awards were delayed beyond what most would consider reasonable and I left at 6:30 before the “results” for the four hour drive back home.  Congrats to the winners and sticking out the long wait for the awards.

8A82713A-63FD-48AC-B617-792DFE83DF79.jpeg

546C9229-E835-449F-84FB-14137E324815.jpeg

E6660A5E-8CFC-4102-BA31-72C44DF1D7FB.jpeg

5BB12BF8-7678-4478-AE6C-5B041DEFE190.jpeg

4DCD946D-BA34-413E-8092-A213B79DA839.jpeg

661C51B1-190E-4A56-9034-F09F550384BC.jpeg

B9289158-EDC1-4B1F-B5FD-96D7BED25E23.jpeg

8140E7B1-3BEF-46C7-A78E-0AD00A369DA6.jpeg

57F1ABA0-84FC-48BD-BEA6-84DF8DC98541.jpeg

A9E8E6A7-4DD4-4109-A15D-C8AB7F738CC7.jpeg

4DDCB8F7-4E67-4A87-B6DB-888F973ECB13.jpeg

B659B7C0-7BD8-4115-8340-1A4B30B49445.jpeg

8F3812C7-1C36-408A-BA49-44388B1B6E09.jpeg

2AD16040-7EBE-4BCB-B6AD-73680E58E463.jpeg

Great photos! Why were the awards delayed? 11 hours is a long day in anyone's book. We got there around 10am and left about 2pm, having seen everything twice. While I was just a spectator, I had the feeling there was some pandemonium going on with the contest portion of the show overhearing the grumblings of several people.  That being said, I'm considering entering a few builds in the next show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, RSchnell said:

Great photos! Why were the awards delayed? 11 hours is a long day in anyone's book. We got there around 10am and left about 2pm, having seen everything twice. While I was just a spectator, I had the feeling there was some pandemonium going on with the contest portion of the show overhearing the grumblings of several people.  That being said, I'm considering entering a few builds in the next show.

This is my personal opinion but there are too many categories and I’m not sure when the ballots are supposed to turned in by but they use software to enter in the ballots and registration information (I guessing 100 max) for 38 categories all the while cars are moved around into other categories by the show promoter while he is also going around taking pictures, corralling judges for the ten judged classes, running the kit auction and being involved in every aspect of the show other than cooking the hotdogs.  On Facebook books he seems to blame the entrants  🙄 and says it’s impossible to count all the ballots and hand out awards by 3 or 4 pm.  The same thing happened two years ago due to supposed computer glitches and I heard the awards were at around 8pm and I gave up at 6pm.  I call it as I see it and make suggestions for how to run things a lot smoother but there is clearly one person running the show and the excuses get old as people are waiting 2 to 3 hours past the expected end of the event when the vendors have left, the concessions have closed and people are just hanging around (some with spouses) for the disorganization to come to an end.  I did get some good deals on some kits and diecasts and I’m pretty sure had I stayed to the end again I would not have had any extra hardware to take home anyway. 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...