Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '62 Ford pickup restored

Awhile back I picked up a really nasty-looking '62 Ford pickup from a buddy.  I figured I could possibly use it for parts; and the price was right (basically free).

I was looking at it a couple of months ago thinking it might be fun to see if I could make something decent out of it.  After a bunch of body work (way too much) and a few bits from the parts stash it's not a showpiece, but it looks OK on the shelf.  

Paint is Tamiya TS-26 Pure White and TS-15 Blue (looks pretty close to the factory Corinthian White/Academy Blue). 

x1.jpg

x2.JPG

x3.JPG

x4.JPG

x5.JPG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Great restoration Mike! The colors suits it really well! What's the source of the hubcaps?

The hubcaps are from a '61 F-100 I built as a custom.  They're not accurate for a '62 but they look OK to me.

1 hour ago, pack rat said:

The hubcaps are from a '61 F-100 I built as a custom.  They're not accurate for a '62 but they look OK to me.

I wouldn't have known the year. I just thought they looked like original pieces. I have a minty '62 to build someday. Danged if yours doesn't make me think about building it stock. Problem is I nabbed the hubcaps to stick on a '60!    

What a nice job!  In real life this was a rare and short lived model.  It was called the Unibody truck because it did not have a separate bed as regular pick trucks do.  It was just one piece body like a car.