Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 1968 z/28 Camaro

Ceaser_Salad

Hello!

This is my first post of any of my models on this site, so be advised: Noob alert!

I made this car for someone, the first time anyone has ever ASKED me to do a car, so this was actually pretty fun. The decals that came with the kit were AWFUL so I didn't use them. The colour is Mission Models Iridescent Turquoise.

Note: I have never ever used bare metal foil before, and I do not like it. It was good to try, but I will never be touching it again.

2.thumb.jpg.88d70635e951f2c113eb38d5c888fc30.jpg3.thumb.jpg.a6fa7de7dd0872dabd934bb2e9a8eeaf.jpg5.thumb.jpg.4a0a7a47a6810073394e12cef38f4d90.jpg6.thumb.jpg.8774dafafe83a4dbcc9112bc328eabd4.jpgimag4e0.thumb.jpg.01785ef562c1cb98fca4fde92e54c4a1.jpgimage0.thumb.jpg.1c28d9971e0355ede58690e9548c97e7.jpg

Don't fear the foil! Really, it does get easier with practice. Safe to say most people are less than enthused about their first try. Hang in there! Pretty nice Camaro for a "noob", your client should be pleased. Color-keyed mags are an interesting touch; they give the car, at a glance, the appearance of the 70-73 Camaro with it's colored steel factory "mag". Is this model replicating a car someone has actually done, or is it a plan for a real build?

8 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Don't fear the foil! Really, it does get easier with practice. Safe to say most people are less than enthused about their first try. Hang in there! Pretty nice Camaro for a "noob", your client should be pleased. Color-keyed mags are an interesting touch; they give the car, at a glance, the appearance of the 70-73 Camaro with it's colored steel factory "mag". Is this model replicating a car someone has actually done, or is it a plan for a real build?

Thanks for your comments!

As for the colour keyed mags, it was actually a case of not wanting to use the chrome wheels because I thought they looked weird (very toy like). I wanted to do white wheels because of the white interior, but the turquoise looked better in my opinion.

The model isn't any replication of anything, I just asked for colours that the person wanted, and worked off of that. A lot of it was just out of my head, and what I had available. IF I owned a camaro, I wouldn't mind it being that colour though...

3 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

looks good!  I'm a foil noobie as well.  I found if I mask areound the area first and use new blades it goes a lot better 

Thanks!

How do you mean mask around the area? Do you put the foil on top of tape? I find that the foil does not like to stick to anything...

5 hours ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

Thanks!

How do you mean mask around the area? Do you put the foil on top of tape? I find that the foil does not like to stick to anything...

I mask around the area to be foiled then apply the foil, making sure to burnish down very well with a qtip.  Then I cut along the line with a new blade and pull the tape off.  The extra foil comes off with the tape. 

Don't be to hard on yourself especially since you mentioned this is your first model car. The body paint looks good, smooth finish and an even color. The foil takes time but once you get the hang of it I think you'll like how it looks. You mentioned the wheels having a toy like chrome finish. Try using a light wash of Tamiya Smoke brushed on a spare wheel. This will knock down a little of the shine and some will settle in around some of the wheels details and make them look more realistic. I think it looks very nice for your first model car build. 

That's a great looking color! Might I suggest taking in a youtube tutorial or two on the bare metal foil. There are quite a few to choose from and most are quite informative. I found myself combining a few different techniques into my foiling adventures.

3 hours ago, espo said:

Don't be to hard on yourself especially since you mentioned this is your first model car. The body paint looks good, smooth finish and an even color. The foil takes time but once you get the hang of it I think you'll like how it looks. You mentioned the wheels having a toy like chrome finish. Try using a light wash of Tamiya Smoke brushed on a spare wheel. This will knock down a little of the shine and some will settle in around some of the wheels details and make them look more realistic. I think it looks very nice for your first model car build. 

Ah thank you!

To be honest, its not my first car, but it was the first car I used an airbrush on and the first I have ever made for someone other than myself. I have a few others that are hot trash, but I am learning. However, I am still really new to the hobby so your comments are much appreciated!

That is a good tip for the wheels, I haven't heard of that before.

Edit: I do apologize for my rather unclear language in my first post, I had no means to deceive anyone on my level of ability. For anyone else reading my posts here, I would like to clarify, this is the first model I have posted here, and my first client oriented build. Again, I would like to say thank you for the comments!

Edited by Ceaser_Salad
Needed to add something

4 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

I mask around the area to be foiled then apply the foil, making sure to burnish down very well with a qtip.  Then I cut along the line with a new blade and pull the tape off.  The extra foil comes off with the tape. 

2 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

That's a great looking color! Might I suggest taking in a youtube tutorial or two on the bare metal foil. There are quite a few to choose from and most are quite informative. I found myself combining a few different techniques into my foiling adventures.

40 minutes ago, PappyD340 said:

Good looking Camaro and from what I see your foil work doesn't look that bad, I felt the same way my first time but now it's one of my favorite things to do. it just takes a little practice so don't let it get ya down!!

13 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Looks good to me Declan and as for the foil, it really is the best way to deplicate chrome trim....just takes practice and using the masking tape "guide" method.

Thank you all!

As for the foil, I will watch some more youtubes on them. I had watched a few, but I honestly didn't understand them much. I learn better from doing, not watching so I agree that practice should help. I should not have been so quick to cast it out of skills to use.

I would like to try the Molotov pens though, they look like fun. It is nice to hear that I am not the only one who has had the tribulations around this product.

However, I still have the problem of the foil not wanting to stay stuck. It seems to come off anytime I touch it with a blade (even new ones). Anyone know of any solutions to that?

11 minutes ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

Thank you all!

As for the foil, I will watch some more youtubes on them. I had watched a few, but I honestly didn't understand them much. I learn better from doing, not watching so I agree that practice should help. I should not have been so quick to cast it out of skills to use.

I would like to try the Molotov pens though, they look like fun. It is nice to hear that I am not the only one who has had the tribulations around this product.

However, I still have the problem of the foil not wanting to stay stuck. It seems to come off anytime I touch it with a blade (even new ones). Anyone know of any solutions to that?

I haven't had a problem with it sticking, maybe its old??  Many on here will discuss this with you I'm sure.

3 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

I haven't had a problem with it sticking, maybe its old??  Many on here will discuss this with you I'm sure.

Hmm... perhaps it is. I got it only a month ago though, so I don't know. Maybe it was just the back of shelf one. 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

Hmm... perhaps it is. I got it only a month ago though, so I don't know. Maybe it was just the back of shelf one. 🤷‍♂️

Sorry for not noticing that you clearly put in capitol letters that this build was at some ones request and not your first build, My bad. You mentioned a problem with the foil not adhering well. A somewhat common problem when starting a new sheet of foil is that the film from the edges of the sheet sometimes don't seem to stick as well. 

1 minute ago, espo said:

Sorry for not noticing that you clearly put in capitol letters that this build was at some ones request and not your first build, My bad. You mentioned a problem with the foil not adhering well. A somewhat common problem when starting a new sheet of foil is that the film from the edges of the sheet sometimes don't seem to stick as well. 

Ah no worries!

That could be it. I don't mind though, I may try a flat coat then do the foil then gloss. Maybe it didn't like the paint? I did the paint, then foil, then gloss because I used automotive polish to make it shine, and I didn't want to rub off any of the foil. Maybe the paint was just not compatible to the foil? Is that something that happens?

But maybe it is just simply because its the edge.

1 minute ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

Ah no worries!

That could be it. I don't mind though, I may try a flat coat then do the foil then gloss. Maybe it didn't like the paint? I did the paint, then foil, then gloss because I used automotive polish to make it shine, and I didn't want to rub off any of the foil. Maybe the paint was just not compatible to the foil? Is that something that happens?

But maybe it is just simply because its the edge.

There are many builders opinions as to when to foil and clearcoat. I would check how others are going about it and then experiment a little and figure out which way works best for you. Then there is always the chrome pen options. 

3 minutes ago, espo said:

There are many builders opinions as to when to foil and clearcoat. I would check how others are going about it and then experiment a little and figure out which way works best for you. Then there is always the chrome pen options. 

I defer to the more experienced judgments.

Thank you!