Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can I spray 2k clear over TS-13/Lacquer Clear?

Hey guys just wanted to ask if I would have any trouble painting 2k clear over TS-13?   I have a few kit bodies that I've painted well over a year ago so I know they are gassed out. They were cleared with TS-13.  I'd like to use 2k clear over them because the bodies have a lot of sharp edges that I think could be at risk for chipping with a regular lacquer. Would just like confirmation that someone has done this. Thanks

Sounds as if you  are planning to expose your model to the same harsh environment as the real cars! :)

I have never used the 2k clear, yet I have never experienced chipping or any other kind of paint wear on any of my models.  But I usually have them on display (either at home or when I enter contests). I don't play roughly with them (since they are display models).

3 hours ago, peteski said:

Sounds as if you  are planning to expose your model to the same harsh environment as the real cars! :)

I have never used the 2k clear, yet I have never experienced chipping or any other kind of paint wear on any of my models.  But I usually have them on display (either at home or when I enter contests). I don't play roughly with them (since they are display models).

Haha oh no not at all. I don't play rough with them. It's just been my experience that I've had many successful and near perfect lacquer paint jobs ruined by small chips and rub offs on corners and what not. I know that can be mitigated but I'd like to try using 2k and put my mind to ease.

1 hour ago, DiscoRover007 said:

Haha oh no not at all. I don't play rough with them. It's just been my experience that I've had many successful and near perfect lacquer paint jobs ruined by small chips and rub offs on corners and what not. I know that can be mitigated but I'd like to try using 2k and put my mind to ease.

I see.   Hopefully you spray it on in a thin coat.  I have seen many models out there that look like they have been sprayed with 1:1 thickness of clear. They look like they have been dipped in honey!  At least the color coat is well protected. :D