Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

The engine for my project car (1987 Mercedes-Benz 190E) arrived today


Recommended Posts

It’s a 1990 Mercedes-Benz M119; a 4-cam 32-valve V8 with forged internals and 322hp. I’m planning on forced induction. Some guys in Sweden got 1000hp from this type engine. The car has a 2.6 liter inline-6 with 158hp now. 
 

Not much to look at while wrapped in plastic. It was shipped to my employer because they can unload it from a big rig. That’s the best photo I can get while not there myself. I’m pretty excited 👍🏻

A74D0A58-1930-4D25-AC69-111009C90984.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yessir. Supreme joy is a new engine, or engine parts, or just about any parts for a project, or tools, etc.

I spent last weekend clearing out an old friend's basement, now that he's decided he's just not ever going to get to some of his projects.

When I got some of the stuff home and really started going through it, I was like a little kid at Christmas.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yessir. Supreme joy is a new engine, or engine parts, or just about any parts for a project, or tools, etc.

I spent last weekend clearing out an old friend's basement, now that he's decided he's just not ever going to get to some of his projects.

When I got some of the stuff home and really started going through it, I was like a little kid at Christmas.

 

I have some parts from past projects; including a rebuilt supercharger from an ‘03-‘04 Cobra and the heat exchanger for its inter cooler in the manifold. The blower also has a longer snout from a Lightning pickup. Is there any reason why a car could have an air to air intercooler in the nose and air to water in the manifold? (For turbos or centrifugal supercharger). That would be one crazy induction setup. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, LDO said:

 Is there any reason why a car could have an air to air intercooler in the nose and air to water in the manifold? (For turbos or centrifugal supercharger). That would be one crazy induction setup. 

Air-to-air and air-to-water intercoolers can work in conjunction, but they have to be in the right order to achieve the desired charge-air cooling.

Air-to-water usually needs to come first, as it usually uses engine coolant to remove heat from compressed charge-air. Air exiting the compressor can be around 250-300 degrees F. Coolant temp should be somewhere around 190.  An air-to-water intercooler can not possibly get the charge-air temp any lower than the coolant temp...still pretty hot, and way too hot for maximum volumetric efficiency.

Air-to-air usually needs to come second, where the pre-cooled but still hot charge-air dumps more of its heat to the ambient-temperature air passing through the core.

BUT...as air-to-liquid heat exchangers are typically more efficient than air-to-air, you could conceivably run an air-to-water intercooler, that was circulating COOL water rather than engine coolant, just before the inlet ports . But this, of course, requires more complexity and more weight (pumps, tanks, and plumbing).

I've seen one guy use his car's AC system to chill the working fluid in his intercooler. I've also seen ice-water circulated through an intercooler. How well these setups worked, I don't know. But the potential is certainly intriguing.

EDIT: Methanol / water injection is also something to look into for charge-air cooling.

PS: Good looking engine there.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY and ACCURACY
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Air-to-air and air-to-water intercoolers can work in conjunction, but they have to be in the right order to achieve the desired charge-air cooling.

Air-to-water usually needs to come first, as it usually uses engine coolant to remove heat from compressed charge-air. Air exiting the compressor can be around 250-300 degrees F. Coolant temp should be somewhere around 190.  An air-to-water intercooler can not possibly get the charge-air temp any lower than the coolant temp...still pretty hot, and way too hot for maximum volumetric efficiency.

Air-to-air usually needs to come second, where the pre-cooled but still hot charge-air dumps more of its heat to the ambient-temperature air passing through the core.

BUT...as air-to-liquid heat exchangers are typically more efficient than air-to-air, you could conceivably run an air-to-water intercooler, that was circulating COOL water rather than engine coolant, just before the inlet ports . But this, of course, requires more complexity and more weight (pumps, tanks, and plumbing).

I've seen one guy use his car's AC system to chill the working fluid in his intercooler. I've also seen ice-water circulated through an intercooler. How well these setups worked, I don't know. But the potential is certainly intriguing.

EDIT:[b] Methanol / water injection is also something to look into for charge-air cooling.[/b]

PS: Good looking engine there.  :D

This has me thinking about a custom intake manifold. The sheet metal efi front inlet tunnel ram type. Have charge air exit an air to air intercooler and go straight to the manifold, where water/methanol can cool it further. The factory manifold makes the air take a tortuous path. It works. Some guys in Sweden crammed a bunch of boost into the factory manifold and made 1000hp. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...