Model Cars Magazine Forum

NuNu BMW M8 GTE now available.

Jhedir6

For any GT fans out there, the NuNu brand new tooling of the BMW M8 GTE(GTLM) has FINALLY dropped along with their detail up sets they do. Mine just shipped today from Hong Kong. A few of the aftermarket decals guys already have decals sets available as well. Racing 43 and SK both have several different versions already on sale.

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/gfgncfaoe4t770u6ir7g.html

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/jmvpt5svpiaghukl4p7f.html

https://racingdecals43.com/en/

https://www.facebook.com/Skdecals-1557454941209426/ you can message him direct to buy or check out places like Spotmodel or Hiroboy or Hobby Easy for SK Decals.

Also out this week is the reissue of the Tamiya Sauber-Mercedes C9 with the PE and seatbelt set included.

5 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

😕
Do you know if they’re canceled or just delayed? 

Ben

I think they bit off way more than they thought. The idea was to run the GT3 and RSR off the same tool, but the RSR is GTE Spec and Boaty McBoatface compared to the GT3 platform. So the decision was made to do two separate kits, but then BOTH the RSR and GT3 platforms have been updated (the GT3 twice) and I'm not sure there exists an engineering way to design the kit to be able to replicate those changes without having to do substantial retooling for each. It leaves them in a position where the cars are somewhat pigeonholed into certain years of application. The general vibe I've gathered is they don't think there's enough interest to support a "past" version of a car that's currently being used. The Audi R8 project was pushed through because it was tooled in a way that allows them to tweak it into the current 2018+ Evo Spec cars this Fall. Frankly Tamiya could very easily update the AMG to Evo Spec as well...

Things like the Audi A4 and Volvo S40 are from the 90s, all the versions exist so tooling is fixed and it fits into the concept that retro racing is popular with their customers.

If you want to see the 911s done, best thing to do would be badger them (politely) on their social media, they have a Twitter, IG, and FB page. Paying customers are a bigger influence to them than any of us "Insiders" 😀

1 hour ago, keyser said:

720GT3 would work, street 720, and 991.1 and .2 GT3RS too. RSR (lol Boaty aka Flounder) done decently by Burago for shelf, maybe with detail up. 992 GT3 and RS should last thru 2 cycles of street cars. 

The ownership has no interest in doing street cars, they've found their niche in racing subjects (much like how Belkits only does rally cars) and they're gonna stick with it.

The fact that NO ONE is willing to tackle some of these cars, and buying $160 resin kits (other than diecast) is the only solution is ridiculous. Can't believe some industrious start up hasn't happened to make that a reality. Even if the kits were $80, that's still half as much as Alpha Models resin.

I agree, it stinks that a lot of cars are only available in resin. I don't mind building a resin kit, but I don't need a 911 RSR badly enough for my IMSA collection to spring for the Profil24 kit.

As I've said elsewhere, I still think a Huracan GT3 and 488 GTE would sell well. The Lamborghini is raced all over the place, has been far more successful than the Murcielago and Gallardo GT3, has a bazillion cool liveries, and will be raced through 2024 with the Evo 2 mods. They could perhaps even set a kit up in such a way that they could produce a Super Trofeo car, with loads of decal options there, too. They'd be able to produce multiple decal versions like they're doing with the M6 GT3, which seem to sell out pretty quickly. The Ferrari should sell well because Ferrari. Plus, it also will be raced for several more years in GT3 and DTM.

Licensing fees also factor heavily in the decision process. I wonder if Ferrari and Lamborghini are any more expensive than BMW and the others that are currently being produced?

Ben  

Not to mention the R8 is essentially the same as Huracan. VAG group includes Lambo so with Audi, VW present would expect fairly simple. 
Street cars should be done by RG Tamiya Aoshima, someone. Decent diecast out there of GT3RS and GT2RS. Jada 720 large as usual but that’s it. No Koenigsegg either. 

3 hours ago, keyser said:

Not to mention the R8 is essentially the same as Huracan. VAG group includes Lambo so with Audi, VW present would expect fairly simple. 

Veeery interesting. I seem to recall seeing a 1/24 Huracan GT3 slot car body somewhere.... 🤔

Ben

4 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Here's another "Revell" racer...

But anyway, bout the Beemer, can't wait to see that kit reviewed here.

My kits left Hong Kong on Thursday, my livery options are enroute as well.  I'll probably do a build thread as I'm aiming to have one done for the IPMS Nats in Vegas and that's 88 days and counting away.

In the mean time this is a pretty good video review - 

https://youtu.be/_yE9qg2AtRs

Edited by niteowl7710

On 5/21/2021 at 3:19 PM, maltsr said:

I noticed this sponsorship decal on the Sky Ferrari during the Fanatec Monza GT3 race last month, is it significant?

1016030353_Screenshot2021-05-22071648.png.eca8548fb13f00585dd6f8db187f2bbd.png

5 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Here's another "Revell" racer...

But anyway, bout the Beemer, can't wait to see that kit reviewed here.

image.png.98099d2c84efea61f085cc3986f0024b.png

It could be. GT3 racing is gaining popularity around the world by leaps and bounds over the past few years. Covid hurt it, like many other forms of racing, but what amounts to a global spec class, most of the GT3 categories around the world have almost identical rules, driver's are able to hop from race to race and series to series and know the car is going to be the same as the last race (since most of the guys are factory drivers..the pro guys that is) make for very entertaining racing. The BOP in GT3 spec cars are very balanced and dialed in everywhere they run. Seems a different car is winning all the time, no monopolies like in F1, which make fans very happy and interested. I'm sure the driver's like it too. 

Seeing the Revell name pop up on some cars could definitely be a sign that Revell Germany is working on some kits and seeing that no one has kitted a GT3 Ferrari 488 or a newer Porsche GT3 could be good for us, very good. We can hope.

488 dead. F8 is new car. Introduction imminent, “new” body seems facelift. Better looking than 488 IMO. 
https://www.motor1.com/news/307386/ferrari-f8-see-the-changes/

Above link has interactive slide to compare 488/F8
if they’re smart they could do both off same chassis and do 458 as well though it’d need NA motor. 
heres a 458 gt3 that just sold. 
https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrari-458-gt3-italia-race-car.525875/

Sorry to jump in M8 thread  

Boaty McBoatface Lol 

531F698B-77AD-41F7-9ADE-BA396BB4E6D7.png

Edited by keyser

The F8 is the new road car, but the 488 GT3 just got Evo'd 2x last season (488 Evo and 488 Evo 2020) and are expected to carry on beyond this season.  So far I haven't heard of Ferrari having a specifically new vehicle ready for the 2022 rule spec change that is ushering out the M6 for the new M4 GT3.  BMW might be the only car company right now that has to change over immediately as the M6 isn't made any longer, and the 3 Series is of course only a sedan.  Audi plans to keep the R8 around until the 2025 Rule Specs, 911 was just refreshed, AMG Evo'd in 2020, the NSX is Evo'd, the Huracan is Evo'd, the McLaren 720s and Aston Martin Vantage haven't been given an Evolution package as of yet, so they'll probably continue on as is...

As for GT3's popularity, DTM switched from Touring format to GT3 this year, and in 2022 GTLM is being dropped from IMSA in exchange for GTD Pro, which is GT3 spec (like the current GTD) only designed to be a factory support class, with GTD being your Pro-Am, Silver, AM type competition drivers.

3 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

My M8 kit only took eight days to get from Hong Kong to the US. I’ll have to order from HobbyEasy again! 
This is a good looking kit. I’m looking forward to starting it.

Ben

My last order from them about a month ago took well almost a month to get here.

14 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Mine are in Chicago dawdling their way to Pennsylvania. 

Mine are taking that 90hr flight from HK to Canada. Pretty sure the flight hits Saturn and Uranus before landing in Toronto.