Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Chevrolet Turdy One Hunnert

This started out as an idea for a simple junker farm truck with a V8 swap. I even got so far as building the chassis with the push bumper, and plugging in a 283 and 4 speed from a later model Chevrolet truck, along with jettisoning the torque tube for a driveshaft. That chassis still sits there in the box. 

A while after I started that, I build up the chassis from an S10 Extreme, with the intent of making up a small "bread van" body for it. to that end the chassis was build mostly box stock but fitted with some Hoppin' Hydros wheels and tires. A while later, and said chassis ended up with an LT1 and six speed manual. One day, the '50 cab just kinda ended up on the S10 chassis and I went with it. I might add an air suspension setup to the bed, for now let's say it's under the bed floor and this depicts the truck at "display height". 

The interior features the S10's floor shifter (despite having the shifter and the box saying it has a 2.2 and a five speed, the S10 Extreme kit contains the same 4.3/auto combo as every other AMT S-truck), along with bomber seats from a Revell Ford Model A.

The bed saw the most modifications. It was shortened to go with the S10 wheelbase, and also mounted a bit higher on the body. That solves two things I always thought looked awkward about the Advance series trucks- the beds looked too long and too low. The fenders were also  moved higher up the bedsides. The bed floor itself is just plastic painted grey, and the kit decals were applied. This is the 76 issue of the kit, which comes with wood grain decals for the side stakes. But you will need to apply them over a suitable base coat because Round 2 has this weird fixation with semi-transparent decal graphics.  Aside from that I more or less went with a subtle "barn find" kind of look, retaining the stock handles, trim, etc. The rear bumper was something I made up for the truck's original "farm truck" theme, I just shunted it over to this project because I liked the look. I even took advantage of the way AMT did the cab corners to make it look like replacements had been fitted into place. 

And that mostly completed stock-ish chassis? Who knows? Maybe one of these days it'll actually get built. 

1.jpg.11d4298987ce22977e87ee3714b38896.jpg2.jpg.0ac95c214f57f21ed6517a9bdedf9eab.jpg3.jpg.b471ede4c39e38d86c6ebd1ec2e36f79.jpg4.jpg.4a0cfd9c732148be419e6eb2831e1597.jpg5.jpg.11026f51ad6a3b246ee3d7789c1b0de6.jpg

Following some of the current trends in the 1:1 truck builds really makes this build look like something you would see at a Good Guy's show. The changes to the body improve the body proportions. The finish is very realistic looking and I like how you made the bed wood look like it is sun beached.