Model Cars Magazine Forum

How About an Obituary Section

JohnU

For all the OCD posters that find it necessary to post here every celebrity death that is already public knowledge thanks to standard news media! Jeez! 

Thank you for letting me vent!  This probably should be in What Irked me Today but figured a separate topic might encourage my point. I like to come here to enhance my enjoyment of the hobby and all I see is dead people!👻

Edited by JohnU
Clarify

I come here to enhance my enjoyment of the hobby too but really enjoy all the other subjects that come up in the Off-Topic section.

Obviously I don't enjoy people dying but it's interesting to read other thoughts about the particular person who is now gone. Since it bothers you so much I guess you can count on me not posting on this subject in the future.

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

I come here to enhance my enjoyment of the hobby too but really enjoy all the other subjects that come up in the Off-Topic section.

Obviously I don't enjoy people dying but it's interesting to read other thoughts about the particular person who is now gone. Since it bothers you so much I guess you can count on me not posting on this subject in the future.

I appreciate guys who like Tony, who post the obituary of famous people. Most of the time I find out here first because I am not a big news watcher.  The off topic section has little too do with models but everything else. I do not mean this in a bad way but if you do not like something why would you click on it. Or even be in that section .  I do not mean this in a sarcastic or bad way…

Posting about death's of famous people on here is how sometimes I find out that they died. MSM isn't always up to speed on every death. That being said if a post is of something I have no interest in I won't go to that topic. Such as I don't open topics about hot rod's/Custom/bagged models . Why because they don't interest me. Thus I just skip them. As you can do to these death threads/Post.

I think we get a little carried away sometimes. The B list and C list notables passing away in their 70's, 80's and 90's hardly seems newsworthy unless perhaps their death wasn't natural. A lot of the notices I see here are for people I kind of thought were probably already dead anyway.

11 minutes ago, imarriedawitch said:

I think we get a little carried away sometimes. The B list and C list notables passing away in their 70's, 80's and 90's hardly seems newsworthy unless perhaps their death wasn't natural. A lot of the notices I see here are for people I kind of thought were probably already dead anyway.

This right here. Most of the time I have no idea who all these people are!

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

I guess off topic isn't off topic for petes sake.  Again  how hard is it NOT to click on something you have no interest in? 

8345538315813705260.gif

This GIF is starting to really crack me up now that I’ve seen it 3 times in about as many days😂

On 5/22/2021 at 3:39 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

I like the Captain Peacock equivalent:

367410834_peacockfacepalm.gif.4d41b3b30d3bad0130b5b02320ea817c.gif

By the way, actor Charles Grodin passed away last week... 

That’s too bad. He was funny... R.I.P. Charles Grodin.

Edited by Venom

News Flash... Elvis Presley died. 

Seriously though, as long as there is no politics, and/or religion, I don’t  see what the problem is? I scroll through these boards almost daily, and if I see something that doesn’t interest me, I move on to the next topic. 

That could be the reason that the Off Topic section is at the very bottom. 

Edited by Brutalform

Look. I get that this is the “off topic lounge” where anything goes! There’s plenty of fun topics here that I enjoy so I’m not going to “just not look here” as suggested. I was just hoping that maybe the morbid reminder of our mortality could be relegated to a single thread to be added to and perused by anyone wishing to! My thought was, there might be others that may feel like I do so it’s just a suggestion not a demand. I realize that when a kid not part of the clique appears on the playground, there’s going to be pushback. So really, critics, you can back off on the sarcasm! I’m not trying to push you off the swing! 

3 hours ago, JohnU said:

Look. I get that this is the “off topic lounge” where anything goes! There’s plenty of fun topics here that I enjoy so I’m not going to “just not look here” as suggested. I was just hoping that maybe the morbid reminder of our mortality could be relegated to a single thread to be added to and perused by anyone wishing to! My thought was, there might be others that may feel like I do so it’s just a suggestion not a demand. I realize that when a kid not part of the clique appears on the playground, there’s going to be pushback. So really, critics, you can back off on the sarcasm! I’m not trying to push you off the swing! 

You can look at the ot forum without clicking on a thread you have no interest in. Simply don't click on John j jingleheinmer Schmidt  died.

I feel I need to step in here. Some of you are now poking fun at people dying, what is wrong with you. I don't see you guys making fun of folks when they say their mother or wife passed.

It's called the Off-Topic area for a reason. If we didn't have the Off-Topic area, you guys would be posting all this in the Model Building Questions section asking us to provide a place for Off-Topic discussions.

I feel that this board, for some, is their go to place to interact with other people.

Like many of you are so fond of saying, "If it doesn't interest you, don't click on it"

Perhaps Dave gave see if there is a way to exclude this area from activity feeds, so you guys won't be burdened with having to scroll past the posts.

OK, rambling rant over.

5 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

True but it clogs up the recent activity list. Which is a pain and  intrusive.

I guess we all read the forum differently.  I never used the recent activity thing.  I just go to the top page, then visit the forum sections I'm interested in (if the "new content" indicator is showing for that section).  Then in each section I clearly see which posts are new, then I only open the threads that interest me.  When done I "mark forum read" and move onto the next one.