Model Cars Magazine Forum

ROYAL CANADIAN 1/16 SCALE TOP FUEL DRAGSTER

New project,  Canadian record holding Front engine Top Fuel Dragster,  Being built for the owner as close to museum scale as my talents will allow.  This is my first brass chassis car and will require custom body panels and a sizeable amount of scratch built parts.   215" Don Long Chassis, 392 Chrysler Hemi based engine, being modeled as it was raced as opposed to it's current configuration as a cackle car / nostalgia fuel car.  I will be posting pictures of the build as well as pictures of the real car and it's restoration for reference.   I hope you enjoy watching the progress and if there are any questions or comments please feel free to respond.IMG_7345.JPG.35fdccd1d456ab7520f3cbf0ea3b79ef.JPGIMG_7710.thumb.JPG.9570df3191ee5e4080a9f95c84c85950.JPG

1052-L.jpg

RC3 (3).jpg

P6156581.JPG

IMG_7711.JPG

IMG_7714.JPG

IMG_7716.JPG

2 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

Awesome start Ian, looking forward to see this project, i need to learn a little bit about those chassis, i have a project coming up...

Thanks for the kind words.  Roger Lee is one of the more knowledgeable people we know, Bryan Hodges the owner of this car also has a lot of knowledge.  My experience is more in the engine and drivetrain of these things and mostly with funny cars. That being said if I can be of assistance............

22 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Thanks for the kind words.  Roger Lee is one of the more knowledgeable people we know, Bryan Hodges the owner of this car also has a lot of knowledge.  My experience is more in the engine and drivetrain of these things and mostly with funny cars. That being said if I can be of assistance............

thanks man, definitely will contact you when the time comes...

Torsion bar tube and rear upper and lower hoops in, chassis is square and straight thanks to the jig I built this morning. All measurements checked from measurement taken from the real car, conversations with the owner , and close to 500  pictures from in period, current restored condition and during the restoration at Don Longs shop and others.  The plan in the background I received from Roger Lee of a Woody RCE chassis from around the same time.  I'm using it as a reference only confirm I'm on the right track.  And the advantages of a large (30 INCH) monitor, I can take a photo and if I know the actual size of any one item IE upper frame rail, I can enlarge the image until that item is full size.. I can then measure most things that are in the picture as though the car was in my workroom to a reasonable amount of accuracy.

IMG_7793.JPG

IMG_7785.JPG

IMG_7784.JPG

IMG_7786.JPG

Edited by Ian McLaren

NAILED IT!!   That's gorgeous Ian.  Can't wait to see the rest, I've no doubt it will be sweet. I was not familiar with the 1:1 car but from the pics you've shared, it is one handsome ride.  cheers, tim

Rough mockup at 4 inch ride height to establish rear axle vertical positioning on uprights, motor plate fitted with the major details in place, fuel tank rough blank sitting on installed lower tank straps and secured with front corner hold down tabs

IMG_7820.JPG

IMG_7821.JPG

IMG_7826.JPG

Ian;

What a fantastic project you have in the works. Your workmanship is amazing! I actually saw the Royal Canadian FED back in the day at Cayuga Dragway on Ontario Canada. 

QUESTION: where did you get those awesome Halibrand and Bearclaw rear wheels? I have a huge collection of Revell 1/16th funny cars and dragsters that I've collected 

over the past 50 years. The main turnoff for me in building them are the unsatifactory rear wheels and the aweful dragster zoomie headers. 

Thanks for your help. Keep up the great work!!!

Dale Epp

11 hours ago, Dale Epp said:

Ian;

What a fantastic project you have in the works. Your workmanship is amazing! I actually saw the Royal Canadian FED back in the day at Cayuga Dragway on Ontario Canada. 

QUESTION: where did you get those awesome Halibrand and Bearclaw rear wheels? I have a huge collection of Revell 1/16th funny cars and dragsters that I've collected 

over the past 50 years. The main turnoff for me in building them are the unsatifactory rear wheels and the aweful dragster zoomie headers. 

Thanks for your help. Keep up the great work!!!

Dale Epp

Thanks for the kind words Dale.  You probably saw if the year it went east and ended up winning the Canadian Nationals.  The rear wheels and tires were custom built out of aluminum with 3D printed centers and also included the plates for the two largest bolt patterns specifically  for this project along the the nicest set of machined aluminum Donovan valve covers I have ever seen.  The man responsible for this magic is Jeff Ferris out of Washington.  They were not inexpensive as it was a one off deal, down to the correct back spacing on the wheels for this car.  If your really interested message me and I get you his information