Model Cars Magazine Forum

ROYAL CANADIAN 1/16 SCALE TOP FUEL DRAGSTER

10 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Beautiful, what else can I say... maybe great craftsmanship!!! 👌

Thank you Francis, I'm kind of enjoying this brass deal, I always thought nothing looks more like metal than metal, even when it's  painted.  Wish I had taken the plunge earlier.

27 minutes ago, Dan Cooper said:

This is such a cool project.  Your mad skills are wonderful to watch.  Enjoying your build immensely and lots to learn from.  Thank you for taking the time to share your craftsmanship and knowledge.  Much appreciated.

Thank you for the kind words Dan. Trust me no one is learning more than I am on this project, this is my first attempt at a brass chassis, and every update is into uncharted waters,  at least till I have the chassis completed.

1 hour ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

This is coming awesome Ian, always love the look of those FED, recently got o 1/16 scale one, maybe i'll shout you a PM so you can give me some points and how to get some info because i need to scratch build some missing parts from that kit...

Absolutely my friend

I made a brass front axle for the car, mock up of the rollbar in place, first time sitting on the front suspension, axle and tires and the ride height is correct, looks like I got the drop on the front axle correct.  The comp resins Donovan is about to be replaced with LPH1320s new 3D printed 392 and the custom machined aluminum valve covers from Jeff Farris 

IMG_7926.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

love it so far Ian, you're doing a great job in this one, i want to get a set of front wheels and tires for my FED, where did get those?

Thanks so much Marcos.  I bought the wheels from Ted's Modeling Marketplace, the tires are from the Wynns Winder Kit.  The wheels do come with O-rings that look OK but aren't nearly as convincing. 

16 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Thanks so much Marcos.  I bought the wheels from Ted's Modeling Marketplace, the tires are from the Wynns Winder Kit.  The wheels do come with O-rings that look OK but aren't nearly as convincing. 

Thank you So Much Ian, I’ll try to get those, still need to looks for the tires then, I want to get a real good quality project, lucky me mine is a long term project LOL

On 6/23/2021 at 7:40 AM, CabDriver said:

Really impressive scratchbuilding - working with brass isn't as easy as it looks, but the results are definitely worth the effort!  Looking forward to seeing more!

Thank you Jim, brass is different for sure but in a lot of ways it simplifies the process.

The new LPS1320  3d printed 392 hemi and bellhousing have arrived this is the first try at mounting them, close to the 3 degree dump right out of the gate, and the bellhousing couldn't be much closer in shape to the original.  I can now start setting up and mounting the drive line in this model

252.JPG

IMG_7946.JPG

The 3D parts look great, what about the finish?  Will you have to do a lot of sanding or is the finish acceptable as is?  I know that there is a lot of variation depending on the type of printer used.  The technology is advancing very quickly and is quite interesting for creating complex parts.

6 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

The 3D parts look great, what about the finish?  Will you have to do a lot of sanding or is the finish acceptable as is?  I know that there is a lot of variation depending on the type of printer used.  The technology is advancing very quickly and is quite interesting for creating complex parts.

The parts in the photo are untouched, the finish will need almost no prep, the best 3D parts I have seen so far and the detail is just as good.

I was really worried how to duplicate the upholstery in this car as the seat is completely visible in the car.  I had an idea I thought might work and I think this is going to work.  What I am showing is the first attempt and I already see room for improvement but this is close.  Note there is a video attached to the last photo showing how the upholstery is flexible so it can be formed o and glued to the seat shell.

IMAG0289.jpg

IMG_7948.JPG

IMG_7984.JPG

MVI_7966.MOV

Edited by Ian McLaren

On 7/5/2021 at 3:52 PM, Mike Williams said:

Sensational work, Ian.  Super clean and clear photos as well.

The tucked seat....killer.

Mike..

Thanks Mike, the seat cover was a breakthrough for me on this build.  Your altered is definitely next level!