Model Cars Magazine Forum

ROYAL CANADIAN 1/16 SCALE TOP FUEL DRAGSTER

The chassis has been cleaned in a solution of Vinegar and rock salt to remove any remaining flux, tarnish or grease washed with hot running water and blown dry.  It now has been primed with self etching primer which my testing has determined, that despite what it says on the can has to sit for about a week to assure complete adhesion. I have also included a couple of detail shots for reference.   Next up the body panels will receive the same treatment except with a much lighter colored self etch primer as the main body color is white.

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

1 hour ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great job Ian, the frame is fantastic!  What is the name or brand of the self etching primer you used?  Did you use your airbrush or directly from a spray can?

Thank Francis.   This is the one I used on the frame, I'm using the POR15 Light Grey on the body panels  The reason is, the frame color is quite dark and the body base color is a pure white..   Functionally both seem to work well with no differences other than  the POR15 seems to get to full adhesion slightly quicker  I my case 5 days as opposed to 7 or so

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

That is beautiful work, Ian! Great job!

Thank you Daniel, it's been a long haul to this point.  The owner of the real car is pleased with where I'm at so that's a good thing and I have learned a ton  of new skills doing this one in brass (first time ever)   At least from here it's details paint and assembly.

Now that the chassis is painted and curing I've been working on small parts. Fuel shut off handle, made up of five pieces, tube, rod, nuts, O rings (to be replaced with more nuts once installed) and the cable,  oil filters machined aluminum and believe it or not 20 coats of paint to get the correct candy tangerine (original in period HP1s weren't Fram Orange) who knew, you can see the filters on top of the Mobil fuel filler along with the remote filter housing. The fuel pump and shutoff valve assy.  ready to plumb.  Now working on the throttle linkage (wish these guys had use a cable)  The body panels should be White this week.

IMG_6548.JPG

IMG_6405.JPG

IMG_6546.JPG

4 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Now that the chassis is painted and curing I've been working on small parts. Fuel shut off handle, made up of five pieces, tube, rod, nuts, O rings (to be replaced with more nuts once installed) and the cable,  oil filters machined aluminum and believe it or not 20 coats of paint to get the correct candy tangerine (original in period HP1s weren't Fram Orange) who knew, you can see the filters on top of the Mobil fuel filler along with the remote filter housing. The fuel pump and shutoff valve assy.  ready to plumb.  Now working on the throttle linkage (wish these guys had use a cable)  The body panels should be White this week.

IMG_6548.JPG

That fuel shutoff is great! It will go right along with the rest of this car. You've got me thinking about getting my Surfers car down off the shelf!

Starting to go together,  modified kit throttle pedal, steering gear housing ( has to be painted aluminum yet) and modified front spindles are the only parts used out of the kit (Wynn's Winder) that was supposed to be the basis of this project.

IMG_6954.JPG

IMG_6553.JPG

IMG_6557.JPG

Edited by Ian McLaren

I can't take and credit for the texture, Revell got it right on this piece, their kit of Prudhomme's Wynn's Winder ( which was a Don Long Chassis) was not all that accurate in most places  but there were parts that were close, unfortunately the chassis was not.  Hence the building of an accurate chassis in brass to duplicate this car.  The paint color took a few tries but having access to the car ( it's fifteen minutes from my house) certainly helped and not just with the paint.  And thank you for the kind words Brad it means a lot!  P.S. I have added an extra picture.

IMG_6557.JPG

On 2/25/2022 at 10:38 AM, Beurlys said:

Superb soldering !

How do you solder so many pieces that are so close together, without damaging one of the older joints ? Do you use different types of solder ? Different temperatures ? Moist paper towels ?

Sincerely

Pascal

Yes.    All of the above at times, but mostly small pieces of wet sponge clamped on as a heat sink with small alligator clips it does not take too much of a temperature drop to solve the issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1