Model Cars Magazine Forum

ROYAL CANADIAN 1/16 SCALE TOP FUEL DRAGSTER

So I've been looking at the windscreen I built for about a week or so and it just wasn't sitting right with me.  I decided to make a change, but how to get it off as it was really well attached with cyanoacrylate.  I couldn't pry it off without damaging the cowl, and that was a non starter.  I had read that acetone would soften the glue after a while, so off to Lowes to buy some.   Filled up a glass and dropped in the complete cowl, went back after an hour and no change, but decided to let it go a while longer.  Two hours later the windscreen was laying on the bottom of the jar and no trace of the glue remained on either piece, amazing.   It really works!   This afternoon I built a new windscreen. I am much happier with the look, I also finished assembling the wheels and adding wheel nuts.  I had also been putting off drilling holes in Jeff's beautiful wheels for the valve stems.  After a couple practice tries on the inside  of the wheels I got up the nerve to drill the real holes.  The holes are exactly where I wanted them and the drill bit didn't slip so the are no scratches.   I'm calling today a win!

IMG_6771.JPG

IMG_6772.JPG

IMG_6773.JPG

Edited by Ian McLaren
  • Like 3

On 3/30/2022 at 7:56 AM, Codi said:

Ian, super nice job on the new cowling......subtle BUT it does make a difference and the wheels look fantastic.  Oh so close!  tim

Thanks Tim: Sorry for the late reply we have just sold the house and were finishing up the details on the new residence.   Yes the original windscreen just was not cutting it, much happier.  Pushing a bit to finish it before the move. 5 weeks

All Body panels now have the self etch primer applied over the 320 grit recommended surface finish for maximum adhesion.  Testing has shown 5 to seven days curing time gives me the best final result.   The next step is the final white base color next weekend.  The the red panels will then be applied.

IMG_6827.JPG

IMG_6821.JPG

IMG_6826.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 5:18 PM, Ian McLaren said:

All Body panels now have the self etch primer applied over the 320 grit recommended surface finish for maximum adhesion.  Testing has shown 5 to seven days curing time gives me the best final result.   The next step is the final white base color next weekend.  The the red panels will then be applied.

IMG_6827.JPG

IMG_6821.JPG

IMG_6826.JPG

Your metal work is so perfect that it's almost a shame to paint it! 

Just refining the decals for the cowl and side panels.  Getting the black pinstripe around the edges was a major challenge.  Just 2 pixels wide, no way to mask that and my pinstriping is way short of that precision.   These are just on plain bond paper so there is no gloss and the color is duller as well.  Just a couple of minor tweaks and I'm good to go.  Sanding the panels tonight, on last light coat of primer and the White goes on.

IMG_6894[1].JPG

IMG_6895[1].JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for no updates lately, we are in the process of moving to a new house.  I did get all of the body panels painted white and the red panel decals are ready to print (final fitting tests are done).  Basically just assembly to be completed once we finish the move.

• 5 weeks later...

We are finally moved, it has taken way longer than I anticipated due to the downsizing factor and some annoying medical issues.  I'm finally past the picture hanging phase and the rest of the home looks relatively finished. I'm starting to get to the workshop area and should be back to at least limited building within the week. I can't wait to be back on the bench.

On 6/3/2022 at 5:50 AM, David G. said:

I lost track of this one for a while but I've found it again and I'm all caught up.

Your work continues to impress me Ian. You have excellent design and fabrication skills.

David G.

Thank you David, I really like your model of the Ecto-1 and the detailing that you added. A job well done.

21 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

It's good to know that you are finally settled in your new home Ian.  One thing at a time, the time available for the hobby will come back, sometimes choices have to be made, health and home come first.

Thank you Francis. Yes priorities have to be set and modeling has to take it's place behind more important issues as life dictates. That being said I am excited to get back to the bench even in a reduced capacity. As you said one thing at a time.