Model Cars Magazine Forum

ROYAL CANADIAN 1/16 SCALE TOP FUEL DRAGSTER

On 6/21/2022 at 6:03 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great job on the remote oil filter block Ian, did you fabricate the Mallory coil?

Don't worry about your missing stuff, everything will magically reappear without warning.  The fun of moving!

Thank you Francis, first off congratulations on completing current project, it's a stunner!  As you can see by the new posts progress is being made, and I am gradually finding out where things have been hidden.  Luckily all of the parts for the Royal Canadian survived the move intact, although there were some heart in the throat moments when the box that contained several of the main subassemblies could not be located.  Problem solved and everything is now accounted for.   I am fairly please with the filter block adaptor. The Mallory coil is kind of a hybrid.it  started out as a Pro Tech coil, but was then modified and added to to represent the unique  unit on this vehicle and its location.

Chassis basically complete, steering shaft and pitman arm have to gone on after side panels are installed and a few paint touchups have to be completed.  Body panels are getting clear coated and polished in the next two days and I'll be calling this a wrap.

IMG_0012 (1).JPG

20171019_143300 (2).jpg

Edited by Ian McLaren
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

It's dead-on! Fantastic!

Thanks Daniel I'm pretty happy with it, I'll post more photos once the owner has seen it.  He's running the real car in a Cackle Fest near here on Wednesday, It will interesting to see the model with the real car and I have missed the smell of nitro in the evening.

16 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Thanks Daniel I'm pretty happy with it, I'll post more photos once the owner has seen it.  He's running the real car in a Cackle Fest near here on Wednesday, It will interesting to see the model with the real car and I have missed the smell of nitro in the evening.

That will be awesome! Hope we'll see some photos of them together, as well!!

Ian, what a great day you had.........deservedly so.  I'm sure the owner of the 1:1 was impressed as we are.   The video's were fantastic to watch as well.   Looking forward to your additional pics too.   btw, I like the Nitro Moose Bantam in the background......cheers, tim

3 hours ago, Codi said:

Ian, what a great day you had.........deservedly so.  I'm sure the owner of the 1:1 was impressed as we are.   The video's were fantastic to watch as well.   Looking forward to your additional pics too.   btw, I like the Nitro Moose Bantam in the background......cheers, tim

Thank you Tim  It's been a long process and just about done.  When I printed the decals for the red panels the printer was set to transparence.  I though it might be ok as the color was dead on when printing the test panels on paper.  I tried to get more decal paper but there was nothing for a laser printer anywhere in western Canada?  I had misgivings once they were on the car so I did not put the script decal on as it is the only one I have and I won't be able to obtain another one (it has the correct gold leaf lettering).  When we got the cars together the model shows way to orange  so the decision was to strip all of the body panels and redo the decals.  Not as big a job as it might seem as the panels are steel and held on with magnets.  Everything else, Bryan ( the owner) was thrilled with and taking the panels off is a 30 second deal and reinstalling them slightly longer as the cowl has to be set in place very carefully  to avoid damaging the paint on the side panels, more clearance would be nice but the fit suffers.   Had a great time with Bryan and the crew, and yes I have some detail photos of the nitro moose I'll throw up.  It was also the unveiling of the new Bubble Up Trans Am funny car, great looking car.

Edited by Ian McLaren

4 hours ago, Nitrobarry said:

Ian do you have the decals for the cowl? I have a set( 1/16th scale) for that car if you don`t. You can have them.

Hi Barry  I have one that I got out of New York, I tried to get one from Chuck who printed them originally but I seem to have upset him somehow and he won't even return my emails.  If something goes sideways I my need to buy the one you have.  Pm me with your email and I'll send you a video of the car running at Standens this morning

Edited by Ian McLaren

On 7/7/2022 at 11:04 PM, sflam123 said:

I don't think I know what the definition of perfect is, but I think you just defined it!  That is absolutely stunning and Dead Solid Perfect!

Thank you so much for the kind words and I'm glad you like it. Perfect, no, but I am happy with the way it is progressing.  After a side by side comparison I am making a couple of changes to better match the original.  That will be in the next week or so and I will then post a detailed photo set.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

WOW!!!  Great job Ian, this beauty has earned its place atop the blower hat. 👌

Thanks for posting the 2 videos of the real dragster, I'm craving the sweet harmonious music of a healthy HEMI !!!

Thank you Francis, Yes it was great to get the two cars together and better yet being able to hang out with Bryan and crew while they ran the car.  We found a couple of areas that required a small rework on the body panels but with them being attached with magnets it going to be a fairly simple fix.  Detailed photo set to follow.

Edited by Ian McLaren