Model Cars Magazine Forum

Garage dio back from the dead

Cpt Tuttle

bild.png.d46cf981b5d1a616e21dc5ac84c3384f.png

I dug out my old garage diorama again. The base is a piece of MDF I sprayed with grey primer to make it look like concrete, a little too smooth maybe (I am almost a bit eager to try to see if I can make it look like splatter paint with some black and white and a worn out brush), the walls are plywood sprayed with white primer, I am satisfied there since the plywood gives them kind of a structure.

bild.png.d69b2d7812c8037c7bcea4c5d114bf3f.png
The radiator is a piece cut out from the camper from the 1965 El Camino by AMT, plumbing is copper wire and the thermostat is a piece of sprue. Fire extinguisher is, IIRC, from the Fujimi garage kit.

bild.png.b8fa435aa6aa929b9fb65b16cabb4f1c.png

Both the barrel, the air compressor and the boombox is things I had lying around in the parts box (from unknow sources), as well as the rim the air hose is hung on. The hose itself is made from copper wire. I know that it looks a bit empty without a workbench.

bild.png.2ae6f9ed0b8003c318a2d84fe9d5d5d9.png

The workbench needs a repair with new legs etc. (and the fact that it was damaged is why I lost interest in this diorama some years ago), as well as the vise that needs a new crank.

bild.png.cb67d49f280325ab058ec483d2b345a4.png

So why was it brought back from the dead? Well, I had a Volvo 760 body that was so brittle after some strong paint had crazed it, so it literally broke apart. Save what could be saved, my idea now is to build a Volvo couch for the garage dio, as the swede I am, it fits very well IMO ;) Lol.

Edited by Cpt Tuttle

IMG_20210526_184933733.thumb.jpg.d5ad1c32410cd54d8fb67ef2fbcc2a64.jpg

Since I really like Dave Mann's artwork, I put up some of his illustrations as posters on the wall, to make them a little more alive, a little more personal than being just white.

IMG_20210526_185102348.thumb.jpg.f8459256e27c547980cdf8e20ab98e17.jpg

I found a piece of plastic that already had a quite rough structure in itself, so with a thin coat of blue, it looked like hammerite paint which was the look I was going for. So with some holes drilled, it became a (help, I have forgotten the english name) for the tools. Some of the tools are from the Lindberg 34 Pickup, others are from the Fujimi garage kit. I guess I will add some more tools to it later since there is still some room.

The word you were after, Mattias, is pegboard!

I built a workshop diorama many years ago and am enjoying watching your build.  Good luck with it!

If i could make one suggestion, find yourself a 1/25th scale figure and use him to visualise where you want to put things so that they are at a realistic working or reaching height.  Its a lot quicker than measuring!

Cheers

Alan

3 hours ago, alan barton said:

I built a workshop diorama many years ago and am enjoying watching your build.  Good luck with it!

If i could make one suggestion, find yourself a 1/25th scale figure and use him to visualise where you want to put things so that they are at a realistic working or reaching height.  Its a lot quicker than measuring!

Cheers

Alan

Alan's suggestion to use a 1:25 scale figure in order to estimate heights is an excellent idea !

The word I was going to give you Mattias,  was " Rack ", but Alan's word " Pegboard " is even better !

David

On 5/31/2021 at 1:37 PM, alan barton said:

Cheers

Alan

Thank you for the tip!