Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modeling vs. reality

Maybe it's just me but when I see a model which would never be drivable in the real world if it were a real car, I automatically dislike it.  

I mean, for example,  a huge wheel and tire jammed in the wheel well wouldn't allow any suspension travel, and you probably wouldn't be able to turn the vehicle either.  Or a car sitting so low you couldn't clear a marble without bottoming out.  

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I may not quite understand your intention but please keep in mind that expressing those opinions of someone’s work could be hurtful to some young kid who thinks his model is worth sharing on this site.

1 hour ago, El Roberto said:

Maybe it's just me but when I see a model which would never be drivable in the real world if it were a real car, I automatically dislike it.  

I mean, for example,  a huge wheel and tire jammed in the wheel well wouldn't allow any suspension travel, and you probably wouldn't be able to turn the vehicle either.  Or a car sitting so low you couldn't clear a marble without bottoming out.  

I agree entirely in general principle. The word "model" means a reasonably accurate representation of reality.

On the other hand though, I've seen a few, let's say "styling exercises", that are completely impractical and / or technically impossible, but work as pure "art"...and some of those have provided me with inspiration for something that could work in reality.

49 minutes ago, Rick L said:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I may not quite understand your intention but please keep in mind that expressing those opinions of someone’s work could be hurtful to some young kid who thinks his model is worth sharing on this site.

Nobody here dumps on somebody's work. We usually try to offer polite constructive criticism if we say anything "negative" at all.

But speaking of "art", this is one of those areas where the "everyone's a winner" mentality does a disservice to the young. Many "artists" today have little or no grounding in art history, or traditional materials, techniques, skills, or principles of proportion and design.

The resulting I-nailed-a-banana-to-the-wall-praise-me attitude does not produce anything in "art" that's worthwhile or lasting. You can argue until pigs fly that shock-value or "think pieces" where even the artist doesn't know what he's trying to get across is good "art", but I have to disagree.

And building model cars with zero understanding of the functioning of their full-scale counterparts, while "fun" and "creative", is also devoid of teaching anything useful in the real world.

But as long as the builder is at least somewhat aware that his creation is an impossible fantasy, then I say anything goes.

EDIT: In the end though, it's a matter of personal philosophy. Anyone has the right to embrace ignorance, just as I have the right to try to avoid operating from ignorance as a baseline.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 hours ago, El Roberto said:

I agree in the 1:1 world. There are people who build vehicles that are un-driveable and/ or unsafe, either for shock value or because they just don’t know any better. Those I dislike. However, when it comes to models....build what ever you want, anything goes!  You can always hit the back button if you don’t like it!🤨  I try to stay somewhat realistic, but it’s just a hobby. I do it to pass the time and keep tabs on my eyesight and dexterity.  I know some members here are real sticklers for accuracy, and I commend them for it.

Edited by NOBLNG

17 minutes ago, cobraman said:

This is true of a lot of Jada and other die cast cars.

Yes - appealing to six to ten years olds is more important because it is what sells in Walmart.  Not sure who this Hamilton Collection 1/18 Mustang appeals to given the $99 but I guess someone is buying them to pay for the licensing.  No thanks on this one or the red Jada one.

B7CEAA7B-BD9E-4629-8129-9DF7B3F6DFA5.jpeg

3E930C0D-7449-42BD-AC76-C60EA881D3A1.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

I personally think everyone's builds are nice.  Reveal, AMT, etc. make different kits and skill levels to make sure they cover everybody out there.  I guess its like the old saying..if you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything at all.

It sounds like this is what you are talking about:

20s1.jpg.8cb8ffbbe933dbbbbb2de9c9e7c998e1.jpg

No. it's not my car (though I do have a model of it in progress), just something I found on the internet. This particular car has an airbag suspension which can be adjusted in height over a pretty good range. IIRC, it goes from ground level to higher than stock, and can be adjusted while driving. The hydraulics often found on traditional low-riders work pretty much the same way. Things are not always as they appear.

I do tend to like the "driveable" models better. 

I actually sometimes like the “how could that even work?!” look to a car, but only when it actually DOES work somehow - it’s like a magic trick!

Real life example - this 1:1 Chevy that I found online at some car show wherever:

9BCFFEF4-8542-4B48-9AEE-491ED0618D0B.jpeg.ec65ebbaf7d9c2bb6d6c507c71aac4c9.jpeg

I’ve gotta assume it’s airbagged, but who knows?  It’s a cool magic trick to get it sitting on the deck like that!

E22C7224-C083-40A1-B288-C512E6B95D6A.jpeg.83df32fbb1df3b2eeab930e6ac0b7392.jpeg

1C15143D-73AE-4223-9FC7-9083C718045A.jpeg.6ea069163d3420a288d9e72d440ae007.jpeg

That said, my modeler’s conscience won’t allow me to build one sitting this low without trying to figure out how it could work for real and replicate that somewhat (which I might just mess with on the 57 that I’m building right now)

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

I actually sometimes like the “how could that even work?!” look to a car, but only when it actually DOES work somehow - it’s like a magic trick!

Real life example - this 1:1 Chevy that I found online at some car show wherever:

9BCFFEF4-8542-4B48-9AEE-491ED0618D0B.jpeg.ec65ebbaf7d9c2bb6d6c507c71aac4c9.jpeg

I’ve gotta assume it’s airbagged, but who knows?  It’s a cool magic trick to get it sitting on the deck like that!

E22C7224-C083-40A1-B288-C512E6B95D6A.jpeg.83df32fbb1df3b2eeab930e6ac0b7392.jpeg

1C15143D-73AE-4223-9FC7-9083C718045A.jpeg.6ea069163d3420a288d9e72d440ae007.jpeg

That said, my modeler’s conscience won’t allow me to build one sitting this low without trying to figure out how it could work for real and replicate that somewhat (which I might just mess with on the 57 that I’m building right now)

That reminds me of the '56 I never finished. It has pretend airbags. :D

20210525_010427.jpg

To each his own is my motto for building model kits. 99.9% of models I've built in the last 60 years have been stock but often with custom wheels, tires and colors. They do always appear drivable if they were 1:1. I NEVER put conestoga wagon wheels and low profile tires on classics, to me, that's extremely ugly but as I said, to each his own. At least if you do that to a model, you haven't ruined a real 1:1 classic car or truck. But build what turns you on, that's what it's all about. Different strokes for different folks. Variety is the spice of life, etcetera. 

I tend to mostly build slammed stuff as thats what I'm into. I enjoy scratching the airbags and stuff to make it plausible but often I'll leave them out if they woint be seen. I have done stuff that isn't slammed on the floor but I grew up with a variety of modified car mags, from hotrod through to max power with pretty much everything in between. It probably doesn't help that the first mod I've done on all my cars is how low can i get it and still have it drive. Theres a phrase in the vw scene, If it aint rubbin you aint dubbin

16 hours ago, El Roberto said:

11 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

And like to build my models so they’d work in real life. When I win the lottery I plan on having a few of my models built for me!  😀

I'm with you guys. Doesn't have to necessarily be practical, but has to be possibleB)

I can think of one kit in particular that, due to poor original engineering, can't be built into something that could be driven--not straight out of the box, anyway. The steering wheel sits about six (scale) inches away from the driver's seat back, and you can't get more than a couple more inches of clearance without completely redesigning the whole cockpit. Even if you were VERY thin, if you could get in the thing, you'd be driving with the steering wheel on your chest. 

But it gets worse. It's a doorless roadster, so there would be no way to enter the driver's seat from the driver's side of the car. You'd have to get into the passenger seat and try to slide over somehow. 

And if the optional up-top were installed, I don't think it would be possible to get into the car at all. :angry:

I can't bring myself to build this kit until I can figger out how to fix this problem. 

I agree with this although I have some dropped where it looks as if they couldn't be steered. but that's about as far as I go. I'll assume there are air bags.

My 50 Ford Conv I am working on is dropped in front using the alternate metal axle holes, but the lower suspension is almost on the ground. I had to fix that.

My 63 Vette was the same way, but being a 1 piece chassis the fix would have been difficult........... but there would be room to steer the car!!! LOL

Builders "Block" 63 Corvette finished... - Model Cars - Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I can think of one kit in particular that, due to poor original engineering, can't be built into something that could be driven--not straight out of the box, anyway.

I forget exactly which one it is, but one of the AMT Fast and Furious kits has Z-shaped driveshafts :D

18 hours ago, Rick L said:

I did not mention anyone's specific build.  Just stating my personal preferences,  is that a problem? 

11 minutes ago, El Roberto said:

I did not mention anyone's specific build.  Just stating my personal preferences,  is that a problem? 

I took it as just a generic warning/friendly reminder all-around. B)