Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sharpie's

I've used black Sharpies with some success in the past. But, recently I got AMT's Hindenburg airship model. I decided to paint the stand with Testor's flat black paint. I then bought a package of 3 different metallic Sharpies, figuring on using the silver one to highlight the letters on the base. For some reason it did not work. The "ink" (?) came out of the Sharpie very thin and scratchy looking. I ended going back to Testor's silver paint and a very fine brush. And it turned out great. But, I originally thought the Sharpie would make this job a little easier. I wonder why the Sharpie didn't work in this case? I've also had troubles getting Sharpies to work on some chrome.

Scott

As a suggestion for the future, if you are trying to achieve that effect again, place some bare metal foil down first. Then apply your paint. Once fully dry, go back with a solvent for that type of paint and carefully remove the layer of paint. I will add pictures to show what I mean when I get home from work.

David

I just tried a Sharpie last night on a build with pretty good results. The 1960 Chrysler New Yorker I'm working on had gold anodized scripts on the hood, rear valance & front quarters as well as the vertical trim pieces on the rear quarter panels. What I did was of course foil all of those & then very carefully go over them with a gold metallic Sharpie. Gives a much more realistic affect than gold foil & is a lot easier than paint. Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I just tried a Sharpie last night on a build with pretty good results. The 1960 Chrysler New Yorker I'm working on had gold anodized scripts on the hood, rear valance & front quarters as well as the vertical trim pieces on the rear quarter panels. What I did was of course foil all of those & then very carefully go over them with a gold metallic Sharpie. Gives a much more realistic affect than gold foil & is a lot easier than paint. Steve

Very interesting and well done effect! B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

IMG_317-vi.jpg

When you have a kit that has a red molded tail light but the real car has a multi color lens... I wrapped the whole unit in BMF, then used red and orange Sharpie for the lens. The white is gel pen.

Seat belts - I had white ribbon, needed brown seat belts. Just 'dyed' it with brown Sharpie. Now I'm just going to buy black and white ribbon, with Sharpies I can have any color seat belt I want from the white ribbon.

Before you BMF trim like vent windows, run your silver Sharpie in the inside corners. If you don't get your BMF perfect, the silver will fill in those tight areas and make it appear that the BMF is in there.

A few notes about black Sharpie... around windows it can appear purple if you don't have it defined dark enough. And DON'T clear coat it! I had black Sharpie trim run and ruin a paint job.

A few notes about black Sharpie... around windows it can appear purple if you don't have it defined dark enough. And DON'T clear coat it! I had black Sharpie trim run and ruin a paint job.

This has come up on model airplane boards. Some guys have used black Sharpies for various purposes under paint, only to have it migrate or bleed up through multiple layers of enamel or lacquer paint weeks, months, or years later and ruin a long-finished model. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen the photos. I'll see if I can find the discussion.