Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pre-wired distributor

Who makes the best pre-wired distributor? I had got one from Gofer Racing when I did the 68 Chevelle, but the wires seemed too stiff and un-manageable. I want to try again when I do the 65 Chevy stepside pickup. I had rather buy the pre-wired instead of trying to do one myself. 

I picked up a couple of distributors today that are from Parts by Parks. Theirs include an aluminum coil and some material to make boots for the wires. They also offer several different colored wire sets. There are many others out there but my local Hobby Haven always has a good selection in stock whenever I need one. 

I wire all my engines. People will tell you that you need 9 hole distributors and need to wire in exact wire order.. 

Um no!  A few tips from my reality. A lot of distributors are positioned in a way that you cannot view the wire order. So why go nutz with wire order? Some prewired distributors sit taller than the kit ones you have replaced and once in place with wires, won’t allow for other components such as an air cleaner to sit right. 

Just suggesting that you look at all aspects as you decided what to do.  I’ve done the Max detail to have it hidden under an air cleaner, when a single hole distributor would do, as well as wired engines where the wires were barely visible.. think Chevy small block.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I wire all my engines. People will tell you that you need 9 hole distributors and need to wire in exact wire order.. 

Um no!  A few tips from my reality. A lot of distributors are positioned in a way that you cannot view the wire order. So why go nutz with wire order? Some prewired distributors sit taller than the kit ones you have replaced and once in place with wires, won’t allow for other components such as an air cleaner to sit right. 

Just suggesting that you look at all aspects as you decided what to do.  I’ve done the Max detail to have it hidden under an air cleaner, when a single hole distributor would do, as well as wired engines where the wires were barely visible.. think Chevy small block.

IMO, you are so right Tom on all points.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I hear ya. I almost always do the correct firing order on my builds, but I remember MSD (or some ignition company), actually sold a distributor cap that actually allowed all of your wires to be routed nice and neatly. Four on one side, and four on the other side of the cap.  There was also a crab style cap that also allowed you to re route wires. 

I bought my first two pre-wired distributors when I got back into the hobby but make my own now with the distributor that comes in the kit.  I don't bother with the firing order.  If I get a Ford kit that has an engine with the distributor up front ill probably wire it correctly.

20210528_115540.jpg.d3e5f98cb64acccb8d9160f0d2911426.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 2:24 PM, Classicgas said:

X2!

I’d have to agree, I’ve used some of the others but when I’m using a prewired distributor I like Morgan Automotive Detail about the best.  Now for predrilled, wire your own, hands down it’s Norm Veber’s Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland.  Both companies put out excellent distributors that are easy to work with, beats drilling, which I still do that too.