Model Cars Magazine Forum

Correct Resin Interior for the MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T Hard Top.

On 9/16/2021 at 11:40 AM, Bucky said:

I'd be interested in a couple of those grilles, too, Mr. Steve. I have two interior sets on order.

Hi Keith.

Here's what I have.

Fellow member "Superbird McMonte", (Dominick Gerace) sent me a bunch of these 3-D printed grilles for the '68 Coronet.

I have quite a few of them, so if you're interested, I'll send you a couple.

Just a couple of things to consider.

The Coronet body will need some small alterations in the front for the head light buckets of the grill to fit.

Namely, the flat "grille mounting plate" behind the grille needs to be at least partially removed.

Another issue that Dominick and I discovered was that the vertical grille members are a little off.

By that I mean, that in a given space, there is a pair of vertical bars, and in the next there might only be one, and there's really no consistent pattern.

I don't know if this will be a real concern once the grille is painted black, but I've opted to use my original MPC grille with drilled out headlights, and I'll use a set of the buckets from one of Dominick's grilles.

image.jpeg.08c4a82cf14cc951354a59dd15648a1c.jpeg

image.jpeg.ea683259ad4103b8352883cf1da82fcd.jpeg

On 9/17/2021 at 12:42 AM, Sport Suburban said:

With no emblem in that grill it would probably work well on a 69 Charger 500 as well!!

Yes, I'm sure that this grille will work in the Charger as well, but some work to get it mounted will be required.

image.jpeg.ebefd8843023e938219d0f07d5301378.jpeg

If anyone else is interested in Dominick's grilles, PM him directly.

I'm sure that he would be more than happy to help you out.

Steve

You must remember the Kits and Promos in the day are close , no Cigar . The Manufactures send (advanced) final approved prints and specs to the Model Car Companies . NOT actual Production Line Finished Products . Lag Time really does exists . The Open Market Place foe both Kits and Promos should coincide with 1:1 availability . Kudos and Thanx

2 hours ago, dimaxion said:

You must remember the Kits and Promos in the day are close , no Cigar . The Manufactures send (advanced) final approved prints and specs to the Model Car Companies . NOT actual Production Line Finished Products . Lag Time really does exists . The Open Market Place foe both Kits and Promos should coincide with 1:1 availability . Kudos and Thanx

Ya lost me. 🤨

Steve

I am still playing catch-up with the initial group of orders that came in back in May if I recall correctly...........something like 24+ orders (some for 2 and 3 interiors each) followed by what trickled in since then (another dozen I think?). On top of that, the weather really put a hurting on my ability to cast as much this summer with it being so hot, humid, or raining constantly. Then from July through August we struggled to keep our 12 year old pup alive (which kept me out of the shop almost an entire month straight due to how severe things were and the attention she needed).............all the while losing her in the end; which really crippled my wife and I. We were not prepared for this. I have been making great strides with the Coronet interior orders as of the past couple of weeks (and all of the other orders I was also backed up on due to high volume demand in a short period of time). Most guys don't realize that there could be 20-30 other guys ordering the exact same thing within days of each other (jamming up the pipe line so to speak!); and despite a heads up from me they still have their minds made up that they should received their order in a certain amount of time based on their preconceived expectations or the performance of other resin casters (most of which do not have the same work load as I do..........or the same set of circumstances even). At any rate, I greatly appreciate the patience most everyone has shown me so far; and hope that everyone is satisfied once they receive their orders.

On 9/16/2021 at 12:33 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Well heck, you're most of the way there now!

Add some parts from the '68 Charger and you've got a model!

If you need a grille, I have a bunch of laser printed ones that a fellow forum member was so good as to send me.

They're actually pretty nice, with tubs for the addition of clear head light lenses.

No R/T emblem in the grille, but there are R/T PE emblems available.

Steve

I plan on using one of the many '70 Coronet kits I have for most everything. I've one or two Revell Chargers for donors if need be.

I may take you up on that grill. If a PM lands in your in-box marked "grill", it'll be from moi. Thank you for the offer!

Before I get too many requests for the 3-D printed grilles, let me offer this information.

The grilles that I have were graciously given to me by fellow forum member Dominick Gerace, (Superbird McMonte).

He is the one printing these grilles, so while I'm more than happy sharing what was given to me, I'm sure that Dominick would be happy to work a deal with you.

All credit for the workmanship and crafting of these grilles needs to go to Dominick.

Steve

3 hours ago, restoman said:

I plan on using one of the many '70 Coronet kits I have for most everything. I've one or two Revell Chargers for donors if need be.

Just remember that this interior was designed around the Revell Charger floor pan, so it will fit perfectly on the Charger chassis.

I have no idea if it will fit well with any other chassis or not.

Also be aware that some modification of the chassis and drive train will be required even if you do use the Charger chassis.

Wheel base between the Charger kit and the Coronet are not exact matches, and I elected to widen the rear axle to fit better in the Coronet as well.

Steve

19 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Just remember that this interior was designed around the Revell Charger floor pan, so it will fit perfectly on the Charger chassis.

I have no idea if it will fit well with any other chassis or not.

Also be aware that some modification of the chassis and drive train will be required even if you do use the Charger chassis.

Wheel base between the Charger kit and the Coronet are not exact matches, and I elected to widen the rear axle to fit better in the Coronet as well.

Steve

Ahhh yes. Forgot about the Charger floor.

Thanks! :)

On 9/16/2021 at 12:33 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Well heck, you're most of the way there now!

Add some parts from the '68 Charger and you've got a model!

If you need a grille, I have a bunch of laser printed ones that a fellow forum member was so good as to send me.

They're actually pretty nice, with tubs for the addition of clear head light lenses.

No R/T emblem in the grille, but there are R/T PE emblems available.

Steve

That's good that the grill has no R/T emblem.  With the plain grill you could do a 68 Superbee or even a 440 model.

1 hour ago, GMP440 said:

That's good that the grill has no R/T emblem.  With the plain grill you could do a 68 Superbee or even a 440 model.

You may be happy to hear that Dominick has created a grille for the '68 Coronet 440, and 500 as well.

Contact him and see what's up! ;)

image.jpeg.24efe27bb6b325d28a6c0595633ab227.jpeg

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My order has arrived and NO SURPRISE........ it looks awesome!! So worth the wait. Thank you Steve for all the work you did in making the master and thank you Ed for making it possible for the rest of us to have these parts. I did purchase a few other parts as well for future project. If anyone hasn’t checked out Ed’s other products I strongly recommend you do. Over the years I’ve purchased many other things ( chopped deuce, hoods ....etc ) and hands down some of the nicest out there on top outstanding customer service. 

6 hours ago, GoodbuildNY said:

My order has arrived and NO SURPRISE........ it looks awesome!! So worth the wait. Thank you Steve for all the work you did in making the master and thank you Ed for making it possible for the rest of us to have these parts. I did purchase a few other parts as well for future project. If anyone hasn’t checked out Ed’s other products I strongly recommend you do. Over the years I’ve purchased many other things ( chopped deuce, hoods ....etc ) and hands down some of the nicest out there on top outstanding customer service. 

Glad to hear that you're satisfied!

I will offer this insight.

I noticed on the set that I received from Ed, and it looks to be the case on other photos that I have seen of these parts, that the interior bucket appears to have a tendency to bend a little.

The floor might have a slight "crown" making the rear shelf curve down slightly and cause a gap between the rear of the tub and the back of the door panels.

This is natural with resin parts, so it's easy to fix with a little warm water and light bending.

Just thought that it would be a good idea to let people know that this might need your attention.

Steve

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Glad to hear that you're satisfied!

I will offer this insight.

I noticed on the set that I received from Ed, and it looks to be the case on other photos that I have seen of these parts, that the interior bucket appears to have a tendency to bend a little.

The floor might have a slight "crown" making the rear shelf curve down slightly and cause a gap between the rear of the tub and the back of the door panels.

This is natural with resin parts, so it's easy to fix with a little warm water and light bending.

Just thought that it would be a good idea to let people know that this might need your attention.

Steve

I have taken note of the slight arch in the floor pan; and see that it could have been inherent in the original (looking at the stock ones in the Revell Charger kits I have); or it could have happened when I packed the floor pan in clay and didn't notice the very slight arch. I have been trying to remedy each floor pan that goes out by heating it up over the desk lamp for a short amount of time and then straightening it out a bit. To my eye it is so minute that it's a moot point once the door panels are *properly* glued onto the floor pan to give it enough rigidity and keep it from flexing; and the chassis is installed to support it from underneath. The package tray should have enough clearance for the glass to fit between it and the body; with any gap left over easily being closed with a little tension applied as it is glued in place upon final assembly.

Edited by krassandbernie

On 9/19/2021 at 2:16 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Hi Keith.

Here's what I have.

Fellow member "Superbird McMonte", (Dominick Gerace) sent me a bunch of these 3-D printed grilles for the '68 Coronet.

I have quite a few of them, so if you're interested, I'll send you a couple.

Just a couple of things to consider.

The Coronet body will need some small alterations in the front for the head light buckets of the grill to fit.

Namely, the flat "grille mounting plate" behind the grille needs to be at least partially removed.

Another issue that Dominick and I discovered was that the vertical grille members are a little off.

By that I mean, that in a given space, there is a pair of vertical bars, and in the next there might only be one, and there's really no consistent pattern.

I don't know if this will be a real concern once the grille is painted black, but I've opted to use my original MPC grille with drilled out headlights, and I'll use a set of the buckets from one of Dominick's grilles.

image.jpeg.08c4a82cf14cc951354a59dd15648a1c.jpeg

image.jpeg.ea683259ad4103b8352883cf1da82fcd.jpeg

Yes, I'm sure that this grille will work in the Charger as well, but some work to get it mounted will be required.

image.jpeg.ebefd8843023e938219d0f07d5301378.jpeg

If anyone else is interested in Dominick's grilles, PM him directly.

I'm sure that he would be more than happy to help you out.

Steve

If you still have any of those 3D printed grills I’d be interested in one I’ve been wanting to make a 68 Super Bee

11 minutes ago, PlymouthFan said:

If you still have any of those 3D printed grills I’d be interested in one I’ve been wanting to make a 68 Super Bee

Sorry, some of the grilles had imperfections, and I’ve already given the remainder to other members.

I’m fresh out! 😉

Steve

1 hour ago, Repstock said:

Are those interiors still being made/shipped? No hurry, but still waiting.

Yessir, they are. Ed had a boatload of orders for these parts. He told me in an email a few days ago that there are still about twelve orders in front of mine, so it's still going to be a bit before they hit my mailbox.