Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Hurst Chrysler 300

Ayatollah

This one is going to be a chore :?

Chr300parts2.jpg

Chromeset.jpg

It's an R and R........ most of you can guess the rest. It beats scratchbuilding the car, but not by that much. As you can see, the wheelcovers were excellent candidates for the trashcan..... they wouldn't be correct for a hurst car anyway. The chrome is marginally a notch above ghastly..... but it still beats scratchbuilding this. I may fix the bumpers and get them redone.

By the way, this meant isn't to bash the resin caster. I'm thankful for the selection and have the skill to make his stuff turn out really nice. The man has been struggling with his health and so on. I have his Checker Marathon sitting here and it's actully the cleanest R and R I've seen. There is one tiny pinhole in the whole thing, it's arrow straight and the chrome is all excellent. It's a gamble sometimes, but as they tell you up front: "For the advanced modeler with scratchbuilding experience"

Big thanks to Steve K and Ray P. for this excellent starting point!

Yeah, Ray's kits can be a bit of a challenge............but they can be real masterpieces when done! :lol:

Someone had a fully built one on eBay a while back and got quite a nice bit of change for it........I think I saved the pics off the auction, but I may have them on CD now since I cleaned some things off my harddrive a while ago. I'll see if I can dig them up and post them.

I saw the gold one, I think it got about $800 US? It looked really nice. I'm undecided on whether or not (R+R, not Paul H.) he started with an AAM resin (mastered by Juha), but if so there were some changes.

The decklid is going to be the only real challenge, 1970300hurst02.jpg

.....other than waiting for the chrome to come back. Gremlin/Hornet rally wheels will be close enough to use for this

Okay, this one was built by Paul Hettick, and he did an EXCELLENT job on it!

63_3.jpg

d4_3.jpg

I dug up the auction on the 'Bay where this one was sold and it fetched just over $600!! :shock:

I thought I saved the pics on CD but nope..........I didn't (I have now!)

If you click here you can catch the original auction.

Paul does excellent work, and he's one of those that can make pure masterpieces out of R&R's kits!

I wish I had looked in on this a while ago. I have the front stripped and smoothed out. The rear actually looks like it's going to need bigger corrections. The taillight isn't even close, regardless of not being translucent etc. It looks like Paul used the AMC wheels too. The interior pattern looks like it's froma '69, but either way it's wrong ......AND: it's also just a model and I reserve the right not to kill myslef putting this together. It's a welcome addition to the already huge selection.

Thanks for the pics and the link! He did indeed earn every cent of what he got for that Chrysler AND THEN SOME!

More importantly, I hope Mr. R.P. is feeling better soon and gets some joy out of all that the hobby has to offer once again.

I spoke to Ray a few weeks ago on the phone and he said that he feels better. :D He said that he has some catching up to do on the kits but he no longer does any mail order.

Steve Kohler sells for him and I have his site bookmarked.........for those interested click here.....

I had called to see if he was going to be at our show in Gilbertsville, PA but Ray said that he just can't do the smaller shows anymore......only the larger ones like NNL East, Toledo, Etc.