Model Cars Magazine Forum

Came across this on one of the slot car forums I'm on. I have no other information but hopefully this is an indication the powers that be will be giving some attention to the interests of the US market. For years Carrera has been increasingly developing slot cars in 1:32 and 1:24 with a definite eye towards the US buyer so I think this will be a good thing.

Screenshot_20210529-123155_1.png

Screenshot_20210529-123202_1.png

Edited by Phirewriter

Also something to keep in mind as the inevitable panic sets in on social media. Quantum Capital Partners (the overall company over the Blitz holding company that operates Revell) already owned both companies, so it's a merger for efficiency and cost savings rather than "OMIGHERD ReVeLl GoT SoLD AgAIn!!!!"

Edited by niteowl7710

14 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Also something to keep in mind as the inevitable panic sets in on social media. Quantum Capital Partners (the overall company over the Blitz holding company that operates Revell) already owned both companies, so it's a merger for efficiency and cost savings rather than "OMIGHERD ReVeLl GoT SoLD AgAIn!!!!"

Probably should have mentioned something concerning that too. When Carrera moved under their stewardship there was a similar panic in the slot car community. Of course all the panic came to nothing and Carrera continues to produce excellent slot cars and great subjects. Look at their past and present line up if you're interested, lots of American cars including vintage stock cars. They've done Cheetahs in both 1:32 and 1:24, 1:32 Dekon Monzas, GT40's and numerous other great cars. They're even coming out with the C8 Vette later this year. Most of the existing large scale slot companies are still rather eurocentric in their offerings. I'm looking at this as good news in the long run for both slot car and model car enthusiasts for the North American market.

I'm confused.  I thought originally Revell AG (Germany) and Revell USA were separate entities. Recently (couple years back) Revell AG acquired Revell USA and became one company.  Does this mean that Revell USA and Carrera (USA?) are now merging (so Revell AG and Revell USA are getting split up up)?

1 hour ago, peteski said:

I'm confused.  I thought originally Revell AG (Germany) and Revell USA were separate entities. Recently (couple years back) Revell AG acquired Revell USA and became one company.  Does this mean that Revell USA and Carrera (USA?) are now merging (so Revell AG and Revell USA are getting split up up)?

When Hobbico imploded and Quantum (via the Blitz holding company) bought the assets the got RevellAG (or GmbH) as an operating company and the assets of Revell U.S. - the tooling and all the trademarks (Revell/Monogram/SnapTite, al). At that point when the unified under German ownership Revell reopened Revell U.S. as an office/operating division of Revell, Revell "of Germany" ceased to be since it now owned everything and was just Revell. 

Quantum also owns Carrera, which is based in Austria. Carrera also has a U.S. office/operating division.

This consolidation is the merger of the two U.S. operating divisions into one warehouse in Atlanta under the new Carrera Revell of Americas name with both heads of Carrera and Revell staying on to operate their respective specialties. 

Without knowing precise specifics I'm guessing as with a lot of things during COVID-19, the bulk of Revell's day to day things can be done remotely. Once kits are designed the entire manufacturing process is taking place in China, or the plastics facility in Chicago Heights that tends to the remaining U.S. tooling. Now Quantum isn't paying for two separate warehousing & shipping fscilities. Additionally if there can be a sharing of CAD/Design data between divisions where Carrera can make more "Revell" type slot car subject matter and Revell can make kits of the "Carrera" subject matter and the combined nature of the company means one licensing can cover everyone, this could potentially be very good for both modelers and slot car fans.

Edited by niteowl7710

If Carrera has done a Cheetah body in 1/24 scale, maybe all of you who want a kit could start asking Revell to make the slot car body into a curbside kit, or at least sell the body as a separate item...

25 minutes ago, Mark said:

If Carrera has done a Cheetah body in 1/24 scale, maybe all of you who want a kit could start asking Revell to make the slot car body into a curbside kit, or at least sell the body as a separate item...

Like the old days when Monogram would make a slot version and curbside kit version of a car sharing body tooling. While I have a really nice Modelhaus Cheetah kit I'll buy ever curbside 1/24 kit they could do!!!