Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for 73 Firebird Trans Am Hood

jeffdeoranut

Keith Marks makes the decals and Missing Link used to do the resin '70-'76 T/A hood with shaker scoop but I haven't seen it listed for a few years. Jeff might still have some left.

BTW, there was no '71-'76 Trans Am kit made in 1/25, [only 1/24 Monogram '70 and that funky Otaki '74]only the Formulas with the twin scoop hood.

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

BTW, there was no '71-'76 Trans Am kit made in 1/25, [only 1/24 Monogram '70 and that funky Otaki '74]only the Formulas with the twin scoop hood.

Actually yes there was. It's rather rare but MPC did make it in a very short run.

s-l300 (1).jpg

Edited by Phirewriter

On 5/30/2021 at 10:45 AM, Can-Con said:

Keith Marks makes the decals and Missing Link used to do the resin '70-'76 T/A hood with shaker scoop but I haven't seen it listed for a few years. Jeff might still have some left.

Keith marks offers decals for the firebird but not the Trans Am

15 hours ago, jeffdeoranut said:

Keith marks offers decals for the firebird but not the Trans Am

I think you mean the Trans Am but not the Firebird.

This set may look a bit "off" but it's because I had them printed in a custom color combo not usually offered.

IMG 1678

21 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Yes, but that's a '70. I said '71-'76. 😉

Nope, it's a '71.  It came out after the '71 Formula 400 annual kit, but before the '72.  Rear bumper license plate reads 1971.

4 hours ago, Mark said:

Nope, it's a '71.  It came out after the '71 Formula 400 annual kit, but before the '72.  Rear bumper license plate reads 1971.

Ah, I did not know that. I did know it was a mid-season kit but I thought it had come out between the '70 and '71.

2 hours ago, jeffdeoranut said:

Do you know anybody that makes decals for this kit 455 SD

What decals do you need Jeff? If it's the valve cover decal, Keith does include one, along with a set of wheel center decals and a PONTIAC script decal on a small separate sheet. The SD 455 scoop decals are on the main sheet.

I'm not aware of any other decals normally on the car.

1973-1974 Valve Cover Decal - 455 SD - Super Duty

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Ah, I did not know that. I did know it was a mid-season kit but I thought it had come out between the '70 and '71.

The '70 kit (which was called only "Firebird Formula 400") came out in early 1970 alongside the 1:1 car.  February 1970 if I remember right.  Same goes for the MPC '70 Camaro "Camaro Super Hugger" kit, which again did not have the year on the box.

MPC usually issued two kits a year off of each annual kit body.  The mid-year offering was often a funny car, but the '71 mid-year kits included the GTX (based on the Roadrunner), the Trans-Am (based on the Firebird 400), and the Dodge Demon (based on the Plymouth Duster).

Edited by Mark
Info

On 6/2/2021 at 4:06 PM, Can-Con said:

What decals do you need Jeff? If it's the valve cover decal, Keith does include one, along with a set of wheel center decals and a PONTIAC script decal on a small separate sheet. The SD 455 scoop decals are on the main sheet.

I'm not aware of any other decals normally on the car.

1973-1974 Valve Cover Decal - 455 SD - Super Duty

I'm looking for all of those you mentioned plus the small bird on the nose and the stripe on the hood And the roof

• 2 weeks later...