Model Cars Magazine Forum

Raising the ride height of a Tamiya Jeep Wrangler

• Luc Janssens changed the title to Raising the ride height of a Tamiya Jeep Wrangler

The wrangler should be a coil spring setup, not leaf springs. You would need to source or make some longer springs and likely lengthen all the control arms. Check out my tjeepster build thread. I custom built a long arm coil spring setup on that one. I am not familiar with the Tamiya kit so you may get away with spacers if you only need a tiny lift?

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/150899-tjeepster/page/3/

Edited by NOBLNG

Oops! I didn’t realize that the Tamiya kit is a YJ, which was the last of the Jeeps to use leaf springs.😬 So the previous answers are valid possibilities. If you do need to build new leafs for it...here is a thread on how to do that.

1 hour ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Not sure how the kit is made, but on the real thing you can do an axle flip (putting axles under the springs instead of on top). This give about 5” of lift in the real world. I’ve done this on the MPC CJ 5 Jeep.

Unfortunately the kit springs are attached to the axles so he would need to cut them off to move them.

• 2 months later...
On 5/30/2021 at 9:41 PM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Not sure how the kit is made, but on the real thing you can do an axle flip (putting axles under the springs instead of on top). This give about 5” of lift in the real world. I’ve done this on the MPC CJ 5 Jeep.

See above post (forgot you in the quotes)

:)

Edited by Luc Janssens