Model Cars Magazine Forum

worst commercials - i have to mute the tv

youpey

6 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

At least your corpse will look good.

As far as the medications its amazing to me when a commercial says tell your doctor.  In the past if you tried to tell the doctor how to prescribe you would be looking for another doctor. 

Always horrified at the monotone list of side effects like they are no big deal. Or the heart medicine that can cause heart attacks. Huh.

Its a pretty sad state the level of stupidity for selling products. Some products make sense because of who they are targeted at,  while others leave me wondering what they were thinking.

I have found that doctors can be "bought" by specific drug companies, so asking your doctor about another medicine is a good idea. Doesn't need to be one you see on TV, but one you found out about during your own research.

Most of the side effects that they read off on TV, by law, are the same ones you read on OTC drugs, like aspirin.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

-The commercials for medications...after hearing about all of the side effects, I just figure I'll put up with the headache for another hour or two and see if it goes away on its own.

-The beverage commercials all end with "drink responsibly".  Drink responsibly, but drink!

-All of the insurance companies are going to save me money.  So, apparently, if I switch from State Farm to GEICO, then to Liberty Mutual, then to Farmers, then back to State Farm, I should start getting checks in the mail at some point.

-The state lottery commercials.  Again, "wager responsibly" at the end.  If they wanted to be truthful, they'd just tell you straight out that lotteries are basically a tax on the inability to comprehend the concept of odds...

mcm11.gif

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

mcm11.gif

You do know that if even one person has a side affect it has to be put on the list. Makes it sound worse than it really is.

I have had State Farm auto insurance most of my life and every time i do a comparison no other company ever has a lower rate.

1 hour ago, oldscool said:

You do know that if even one person has a side affect it has to be put on the list. Makes it sound worse than it really is.

I have had State Farm auto insurance most of my life and every time i do a comparison no other company ever has a lower rate.

My .gif was just to indicate how much I agreed with Mark on the issues he posted.  

When I lived in Dallas, I bought a used Corvette.  Even though I'd used State Farm in other states, I assumed they were going to be prohibitively expensive there, so I called dozens of other insurance companies first.  Long story short, none of them wanted my business despite my excellent driving record.  I went back to State Farm and got a good policy at a reasonable (for Dallas) rate.   

8 hours ago, cobraman said:

The ones I have to change the station on are not "bad" commercials I just can not watch are the ones that show the abused and mistreated animals. I am all for helping to support these causes and my wife and I do donate to them, I just can not stomach watching them .

I give to them occasionally but I have to change the channel until the commercial gone. It breaks my heart and gets me down..

The MS medicine that’s advertised Ocrevus for twice a year does not tell you that it can cause malignant tumors or cancer. Why do you need that on top of MS. My doctor shan’t me to try it and I tell him I don’t need any mor problems. All these drug commercials also runs the cost up if they do help people. I do get tired of their ads..

24 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

The ads that tick me off are the Progressive motorcycle commercials with the half guys / half motorcycle  that look like a guy who lost his legs. Just stupid!  

ENDLESSLY  stupid!  

Not to even mention more than a little creepy.  How the flying H does that SELL motorcycle insurance? When I see those start (before I can switch them off), all I can think of is that Prog is suggesting you're gonna lose your legs on a motorcycle.

Really? Does that message actually sell policies?

26 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

The ads that tick me off are the Progressive motorcycle commercials with the half guys / half motorcycle  that look like a guy who lost his legs. Just stupid!  

Yah, those creep me out too. :angry:

Looks like the general consensus here is that the most hated commercials are prescription drugs and car insurance. 

21 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Looks like the general consensus here is that the most hated commercials are prescription drugs and car insurance. 

to be honest, that is almost every commercial on tv though. 

Anything woke that tells me, by virtue of my immutable characteristics, I'm responsible for all the world's woes.

The infamous Gillette ad was the first one to really chap my backside, and the hits justa keep on comin', folks.

I (and many of my peers) probably have more buying power than 100 of whatever dwerps these marketing geniuses think they're appealing to, so it doesn't seem all that swuft for ad producers to apparently intentionally alienate their core demographic...but hey...common sense is becoming increasingly less common daily.

And the list of products I'll never ever buy again keeps on growing.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
Bla bla bla

Folks in the advertising business have ZERO creativity today. Not like it was back in the old days. I'd say a majority of commercials nowadays on TV are either hawking auto insurance, mobile phone carriers, and prescription drugs. 

However, George Carlin tells it best...

George Carlin - advertising and bull BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH - YouTube

Edited by BlackSheep214

Silly commercials have been around for quite some time, but somehow they were cuter back then.  Anybody remember the series of NYNEX Yellow Pages ads?  Like Civil Engineers, Rock Drills, Fencing Instructions, Dumb Waiters, etc., etc.  They are on Youtoobe. Here is Furniture Stripping.

Then there were other cutesy ones like Doritos crunch, Prego Spaghetti Sauce, and many many others.  Most of them were not very annoying, and no booze, cigarettes or medication ads back then!  Also, there were fewer ads per program.  It seems nowadays that there are more ads than actual programming.

And to put everybody in a happier mood, here is a couple of oldies.

Edited by peteski

I seldom see any commercials on TV, I mostly watch DVD's and old VHS tapes. I refuse to pay for cable, satellite or streaming TV services just to see a bunch of garbage and commercials. I only have to tolerate commercials when I watch the local channels on TV (free over the air), using an antenna on my roof. But I do listen to the radio and the commercials there about digestive system malfunction and erectile dysfunction are repulsive and in poor taste. 

i actually saw one that made me chuckle for a second. it was for car insurance. i think farmers. 

it said if you want savings, just phone it it. and it showed someone painting their house and he said something like. "im phoning it in", and then proceeded to just throw the paint straight from the bucket into the door. 

i rarely laugh at things on the tv anymore, but i thought that was good. i rewind the commercial and watched it again, but it wasnt as funny the second time. im sure after i have seen it 900 times, i will hate it like the rest

The Levi's ad that I keep seeing lately is an insta-mute for me.  It explains that people are wasting the world's resources by buying too many clothes...so you should buy some Levis and that somehow solves the problem?!

That's about as hypocritical as when the food delivery service Grubhub used to constantly pop up ads asking me to donate towards meals for the poor.  You're a FOOD DELIVERY COMPANY (who charges me 10-15% convenience charge for ordering, and takes 20%+ from the restaurant) worth four billion dollars - YOU donate some meals to the poor!  I am the poor! 😁

On 6/1/2021 at 10:50 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Those are strange and I haven’t seen one in a while and I am glad. Now if the insurance commercial wars would stop..